Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Funny Side of Religion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    [...] curried goat [...]
    Had curried goat in Jamaica a few years back. Tasted just like every other curry I've ever tried to eat or enjoy. In the end, I didn't do either.

Dreadful stuff altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

endacl wrote: »
    * May not be forbidden by the charter. Temporary back seat modding justified in the interests of self preservation.

Oh crap, it's *not* expressly forbidden. Take Jernal! I'm all stringy!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

robindch wrote: »
    Had curried goat in Jamaica a few years back. Tasted just like every other curry I've ever tried to eat or enjoy. In the end, I didn't do either.

Why didn't Jamaica Pisa?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Sarky wrote: »
    Oh crap, it's *not* expressly forbidden. Take Jernal! I'm all stringy!

There's a reason I'm no longer called MaltyT. I don't taste as good.:(
    Eat Zombrex, I hear he's tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Guyanese Curry goat with Jamaican rice and peas is the way to go.

If done properly (i.e. exactly following the recipes as supplied by the very scary West Indian ladies whose boss I technically was back in the 80s) it's bloody incredible.

Like Irish stew it can be sublime or utter cack - depending on where you get it.

• Advertisement

Jernal wrote: »
    There's a reason I'm no longer called MaltyT. I don't taste as good.:(
    Eat Zombrex, I hear he's tasty.

MaltyT.....!?!?.

*snigger*

I still miss Malty's shuttle avatar :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Before this gets out of hand folks, may I point out that eating other posters is expressly forbidden by the charter.

But what if a baby posts here?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

That would be ok. Just don't tell anybody.

I bagsie a leg!

Babies aren't people, or that's what the pro-life crowd tell me I think anyway.

Besides, there are site-wide age rules. If the baby isn't supervised it's fair game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ993JOQnQMgdd90IrjQKrhe_hBl2vQqVetG0_AoTUb_oOhLOpt

.....only on second offence. First offence: given espresso, a chicken, a puppy, a kitten, a drum-kit and some abortion literature to take home. Let's be fair-minded here people.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Sierra 117

Babies aren't people, or that's what the pro-life crowd tell me I think anyway.

Besides, there are site-wide age rules. If the baby isn't supervised it's fair game.

I once saw a baby in the wild meandering around doing baby things. The next thing I know, an atheist swooped in and carried the baby away.

I stood there, visibly shaking. Tears in my eyes. I thought to myself "Damn, I had the perfect spices and herbs to go with that baby and now it's gone".

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Sierra 117 wrote: »
    I once saw a baby in the wild meandering around doing baby things. The next thing I know, an atheist swooped in and carried the baby away.

I stood there, visibly shaking. Tears in my eyes. I thought to myself "Damn, I had the perfect spices and herbs to go with that baby and now it's gone".
    Nature is a harsh mistress.

Sierra 117 wrote: »

You snooze, you lose! You'd make a crap lion. Good thing the reincarnationologists are wrong too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

boards.ie never needed a "hate this post button" more than now.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

pH wrote: »
    Had curried goat in Jamaica a few years back. Tasted just like every other curry I've ever tried to eat or enjoy. In the end, I didn't do either. Dreadful stuff altogether.
    boards.ie never needed a "hate this post button" more than now.
    And while the curried goat was just a bowlful of gray, curry-flavoured protein globs, the Jamaican jerk chicken was, like catholicism, beyond belief.

Whimsical moment....

I like this forum. Once the foolishness is dealt with over the first couple of pages, everybody sticks around to chat about Caribbean cuisine, biscuits, ice cream etc. there's a nice social side to A&A...

OK. Got that out of my system. Cynical smartarse mode re-engaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Slightly applicable to here I suppose, in that Brand was on to discuss his new tour, "The Messiah Complex". However, although I'm not a huge fan of Russell Brand, he really does make a show of these poor presenters and leaves them grasping for words in a way in which I found hilarious.

Sorry if already posted.

Knex. wrote: »
    Slightly applicable to here I suppose, in that Brand was on to discuss his new tour, "The Messiah Complex". However, although I'm not a huge fan of Russell Brand, he really does make a show of these poor presenters and leaves them grasping for words in a way in which I found hilarious.

Sorry if already posted.

Completely off topic. Can't stand Russell Brand. But that was genius!

Nice one.

:)

He's no fool, certainly. Running rings around them with just a little theatricality and deception. Powerful weapons against the uninitiated, so I've heard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,707 ✭✭✭Worztron

258801.gif

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Completely off topic. Can't stand Russell Brand. But that was genius!

Nice one.

:)
    My first experience of him was one of the big brother spin offs. As I totally despise big brother, and will continue to until the day when the person evicted is taken out the back and executed by a bullet to the head, I disliked him intensely. Sometime later I ended up watching one of his tv programmes and actually found him to be very funny.

He is, as you can see from this clip, a fairly bright guy. His observational stuff is very good. He is one of those people I think I should really dislike, but I can't help liking.

MrP

MrPudding wrote: »
    He is, as you can see from this clip, a fairly bright guy. His observational stuff is very good. He is one of those people I think I should really dislike, but I can't help liking.

MrP

He has a very useful mind - I was sold on him when I heard his observations on abstinence based recovery from addiction. Not funny, but very interesting and compelling.

Full programme he made on awareness: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXo7fxm18wE

Sorry not funny or religious, but useful to some :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

MrPudding wrote: »
    My first experience of him was one of the big brother spin offs. As I totally despise big brother, and will continue to until the day when the person evicted is taken out the back and executed by a bullet to the head, I disliked him intensely. Sometime later I ended up watching one of his tv programmes and actually found him to be very funny.

MrP

Yeah, my gut reaction was to hate him, but then I saw him on something and he was all witty and intelligent, dogdamn him.

kylith wrote: »
    Yeah, my gut reaction was to hate him, but then I saw him on something and he was all witty and intelligent, dogdamn him.

Many women I know say he's the one fella who could make them lose the plot and turn into a mushy puddle of extreme hormonal neediness....case in point is that newswoman in the link above in the blue dress! Her reaction to him towards the end of the clip is gas :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Obliq wrote: »
    Many women I know say he's the one fella who could make them lose the plot and turn into a mushy puddle of extreme hormonal neediness....case in point is that newswoman in the link above in the blue dress! Her reaction to him towards the end of the clip is gas :D

I can't watch it because I'm in work, but I'd have to disagree. The only man who, off the top of my head, can turn me into a mushy pile of hormones is Alexander Skarsgard. I can't even look at that beautiful bastard.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,701 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Always thought Brand was a complete idiot just saying random stuff until I saw him on The Late Late Show promoting his first book. Pat Kenny asked him a question and Brand went into this long, very intelligent and eloquent explanation of a lot of things, and then ended with "...and that's why it's called My Booky Wook" which just made me laugh really hard.

He's still an idiot most of the time, but underneath he does seem like an incredibly intelligent, smart, funny guy. And he was great in Forgetting Sarah Marshall.

He's no fool, certainly. Running rings around them with just a little theatricality and deception. Powerful weapons against the uninitiated, so I've heard.

For years I was content to dismiss Russell Brand and then I read his piece on Amy Winehouse and thought 'hello, you are far more interesting and thoughtful than you wish people to know.' I am warming to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I suspect he's far more intelligent and well-read than he was initially marketed. There's a good bit of stuff on his wiki page, it looks like he was a good deal wilder and more overtly countercultural when he was beset with heroin addiction and so had difficulty getting noticed for being more than a troublesome junkie.

It seems that he understands that one needs to manipulate before you can communicate, so he reinvented himself as a foppish buffoon - hilarious and "out there", but not particularly controversial or threatening. Himself and a mate did the quiz of year show or something on channel 4 one Christmas, acted like they were complete idiots, but idiots who knew they were idiots and so just took the piss. This is the point that he became well liked and accepted in the UK.

Now he seems to be building on this and taking the opportunity to move over to more controversial material now that people will actually listen to him. Which is not unlike a lot of comedians. Billy Connolly started off a bit like a cabaret artist who curses a lot and sings dirty songs. His work then eventually moving from long jokes and funny songs into monologues and political comment.

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    Billy Connolly started off a bit like a cabaret artist who curses a lot and sings dirty songs. His work then eventually moving from long jokes and funny songs into monologues and political comment.

Sadly Connolly now seems to have become a parody of his former self. :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement