Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Funny Side of Religion

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Sadly Connolly now seems to have become a parody of his former self. :(

I reckon the rot set in around the time he started hanging out with the royals and playing court jester to Andrew and Fergie.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

old hippy wrote: »
    I reckon the rot set in around the time he started hanging out with the royals and playing court jester to Andrew and Fergie.

I always reckoned it was when Pamela was researching her PhD.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yep, my Dad was a lifelong fan of Connolly's and he reckons that Connolly's act went to crap when he married a shrink who insisted on "fixing" him.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,938 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Sarky wrote: »
    He's no fool, certainly. Running rings around them with just a little theatricality and deception. Powerful weapons against the uninitiated, so I've heard.

*speaks into mug* But we are initiated, aren't we Bruce? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Brand's article about Thatcher just after she died (it's on the Guardian website) was really good. And his interview with the Westboro Baptist loons on a TV show in the US is a classic. This comes from someone who thought he was a complete prat until about a year ago.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Brand's article about Thatcher just after she died (it's on the Guardian website) was really good.[...]
    Here's that article:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2013/apr/09/russell-brand-margaret-thatcher

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

robindch wrote: »

Hadn't read that before - thanks for sharing Rob - I am becoming even warmer towards Mr Brand having read that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

I'd always thought of him as being very intelligent but not a very deep thinker; smart but without any substance to him. That's a good article though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭b318isp

"I know from my own indulgence in selfish behaviour that it's much easier to get what you want if you remove from consideration the effect your actions will have on others."

Grown up words indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

seamus wrote: »
    Yep, my Dad was a lifelong fan of Connolly's and he reckons that Connolly's act went to crap when he married a shrink who insisted on "fixing" him.

A quack. Have you ever read her agony aunt column in the Grauniad? At its least offensive it reads like the worst self-help book out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

A quack. Have you ever read her agony aunt column in the Grauniad? At its least offensive it reads like the worst self-help book out there.

Have you read 'Billy'? I was amazed at her ability to write about herself, in somebody else's biography.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

endacl wrote: »
    Have you read 'Billy'? I was amazed at her ability to write about herself, in somebody else's biography.

No reading the column a few times was bad enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,707 ✭✭✭Worztron

259031.gif

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Moderators Posts: 51,792 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

:D

tumblr_moonj6jWZo1r7gbhio1_500.jpg

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

a dissenting opinion on russell brand; and i did wince when he commented on the presenter's cleavage.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/jun/19/russell-brand-msnbc-morning-joe-humiliation?INTCMP=SRCH

DocNellie wrote: »

I don't get it. It's just links to God sites.....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Every time I start to like him I get reminded of this: "...his previous maverick media exploits have included detailing the sex he had with a young woman on her grandfather's voicemail."

He's witty. He's charismatic. He thinks it's hilarious to phone up an old man and talk about shagging his granddaughter.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,707 ✭✭✭Worztron

259044.jpg

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Been a fan on Russell Brand since he did Big Brother. I can see how he'd polarize people though.

Also... :D

funny-pictures-auto-religion-jesus-363265.jpeg

Knex. wrote: »
    Slightly applicable to here I suppose, in that Brand was on to discuss his new tour, "The Messiah Complex". However, although I'm not a huge fan of Russell Brand, he really does make a show of these poor presenters and leaves them grasping for words in a way in which I found hilarious.

Sorry if already posted.

Always thought he was moronic, blaise, uninteresting, but that was quite intelligent and funny...........

Though very often moronic humour will suffice for me.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

i did wince when he commented on the presenter's cleavage.
    That's a psychological trick to disarm her and remove any pretence she may have of seriousness or professionalism. I'm not sure if it's something he does intentionally (a la Derren Brown) or if it's something he does instinctively to put himself at ease. There's nothing easier than an interview where the interviewer is intimidated by you.

You can argue that it's something of a low blow and possibly sexist, but you can see he does it with the other guys too, so the cleavage is probably the first thing he saw and went for it.

kylith wrote: »
    Every time I start to like him I get reminded of this: "...his previous maverick media exploits have included detailing the sex he had with a young woman on her grandfather's voicemail."

He's witty. He's charismatic. He thinks it's hilarious to phone up an old man and talk about shagging his granddaughter.

Yes I agree, however we all grow up or learn as we go along.
    Just ask everyone who knows me......

Thirty years ago 97% of everyone I know would have said I was an A^%%ole.

Now thirty years later thats down to 92.5%

That's a psychological trick to disarm her and remove any pretence she may have of seriousness or professionalism. I'm not sure if it's something he does intentionally (a la Derren Brown) or if it's something he does instinctively to put himself at ease. There's nothing easier than an interview where the interviewer is intimidated by you.

You can argue that it's something of a low blow and possibly sexist, but you can see he does it with the other guys too, so the cleavage is probably the first thing he saw and went for it.[/QUOT

Spot on. It's a great trick and the smart people really know how to use it.

Personally the only person I ever manage to disarm is myself........

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Now thirty years later thats down to 92.5%
    Keep up the good work! :)

MrP

MrPudding wrote: »
    Keep up the good work! :)

MrP

I fully intend to:D

Success never goes to my head.....................

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

That's a psychological trick to disarm her and remove any pretence she may have of seriousness or professionalism.
    it's still ****ing rude.

it's still ****ing rude.

Yeah, but if you watch the good media types you can see them use the same trick but in a different context.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

Yeah, but if you watch the good media types you can see them use the same trick but in a different context.

For sure - and when he drew attention to her cleavage, was that before or after all three newscasters discussed him as if he was an alien exhibit who couldn't hear them? Can't remember, must check..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Russell being funny is up for debate but discussing if he's funny aint funny for sure. Less Russell chat more religious funnies

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

1000915_10151661974225155_1260103908_n.png

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement