Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Funny Side of Religion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

1152824418432bt3.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Apparently a 'knicker' is a pound sterling -or pahnd - in London's East End. I did not know this when I first moved there and became very confused dahwn Roman Rowd Marrket in Befnal Gween when street vendors were offering me a variety of fresh produce in exchange for my knickers.

It's also a primary school in East Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

It's also a primary school in East Limerick.

No! :eek: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 34,898 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Apparently a 'knicker' is a pound sterling -or pahnd

Nicker. You obviously weren't listening hard enough to hear that the silent K was missing :)

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

ninja900 wrote: »
    Nicker. You obviously weren't listening hard enough to hear that the silent K was missing :)

I was too discombobulated by the colourful and picturesque street vendors constant refrain of loudly proclaimed references -in public (:eek:) - to what my mother had always called panties to pay careful attention to the finer points of their charmingly ethnic and idiosyncratic pronunciation.

Innit.

• Advertisement

I always thought panties was an Americanism.. down with this sort of thing I say :pac:

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,707 ✭✭✭Worztron

261394.gif

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

6HnnAD.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,534 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's usually not pluralised with an S, isn't it? i.e. it's '40 nicker', rather than '40 nickers'.

Yeah, like the aul' Dubbelin' "ten powend" was. With 'euro' being officially allowed as the plural of 'euro' it's just not the same any more :( (although the BBC stubbornly insist on 'euros'. Then again, they're always writing about some place called the 'Irish Republic' wherever that is.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Yeah, like the aul' Dubbelin' "ten powend" was. With 'euro' being officially allowed as the plural of 'euro' it's just not the same any more :( (although the BBC stubbornly insist on 'euros'. Then again, they're always writing about some place called the 'Irish Republic' wherever that is.)
    I read somewhere, way back when, the euros is the plural and the idea that the plural of euro is euro is actually incorrect. Will try to to find something about it later.

MrP

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linguistic_issues_concerning_the_euro#English

It was originally 'euro' and 'cent' officially, so that was what Department of Finance here used, and that took off in common usage here (and many people said 'pound' for plural anyway)

The EU now officially recommends 'euros' and 'cents' in translating into English, but both forms are allowed.

w00t 5000 posts :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linguistic_issues_concerning_the_euro#English
    The EU now officially recommends 'euros' and 'cents' in translating into English, but both forms are allowed.
    I am uneasy at being told how to speak my native tongue by a guy in Brussels attached to The Directorate General For Translation.
    On the other hand, I also had this "dispute" with an English guy while on holiday in Spain, who was insisting that I should use an s plural with the local currency. And this from a guy who couldn't tell the denominations of the coins unless he held them individually in front of his nose. I settled it by taking out a €20 note and asking him to show me the "s" on it.

recedite wrote: »
    I am uneasy at being told how to speak my native tongue by a guy in Brussels attached to The Directorate General For Translation.

Relax, you're not, it's guidance for translators. It bears no relation to Hiberno-English as she is spoke :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

?di=1613731323598

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

BOfvVrKCEAI3WWW.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Wife swapping?

Where do I sign up? :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Already posted in the cycling forum but I passed by the protest today, in fact had some fun by pointing out real life when he blah blah blah.

Anyway, cycling home from town, turning right with a green light, parents with big pro LIFE t shirts and ballons, all walking their kids through moving traffic or out in front of moving traffic.

IRONY - never fully grasped the concept until today.

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Wife swapping?

Where do I sign up? :pac:

http://comeheretome.com/2012/07/29/una-bean-mhic-mhathuna-40-years-of-reactionary-politics/
    Una is probably best known for her classic one-liner in July 1996 at the referendum count of the Divorce referendum. During the heated post-voting atmosphere, she shouted at the victorious campaigners: “G’way ye wife-swapping sodomites“.

They still walk among us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

....her legacy lives on.....
    In February 1992, Youth Defence was founded in Una’s family home by her daughter Niamh and a number of other young pro-life activists.

• Advertisement

261526.jpg

Its laughable that people still support the catholic cult.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Not G.R

Stolen from a sig from another site;

And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

Not G.R wrote: »
    Stolen from a sig from another site;

And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

The whole of The Old Testament According to Spike Milligan is written like this.

CHAPTER 1

THE CREATION ACCORDING TO THE TRADE UNIONS

In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

And darkness was upon the face of the deep; this was due to a malfunction at the Lots Road Power Station.

And God said, Let there be light; and there was light, but Eastern Electricity Board said that He would have to wait until Thursday to be connected.

And God saw the light and it was good; He saw the quarterly bill and that was not good.

And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night, and so passed his G C S E.

And God said, Let there be a firmament and God called the firmament heaven, Freephone 999.

And God said, Let the waters be gathered together unto one place, and let the dry land appear, and in London it went on the market at six hundred pounds a square foot.

And God said, Let the earth bring forth grass, and the earth brought forth grass and the Rastafarians smoked it.

And God said, Let there be lights in heaven to give light to the earth, and it was so, except over England where there was heavy cloud and snow on high ground.

And God said, Let the seas bring forth that that hath life, flooding the market with fish fingers, fish-burgers and grade three salmon.

And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, multiply, and fill the sea, and let fowl multiply on earth where Prince Charles and Prince Philip would shoot them.

And God said, Let the earth bring forth cattle and creeping things, and there came cows, and the BBC Board of Governors.

And God said, Let us make man in our own image, but woe many came out like Spitting Image.

And He said, Let man have dominion over fish, fowl, cattle and every creepy thing that creepeth upon the earth.

And God said, Behold, I have given you the first of free yielding seed, to you this shall be meat, but to the EC it will be Beef Mountain.

...etc :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

No! :eek: :D

Oh, Primitive and Outmoded Concept on a Crutch, YES!

I have had personal experience of going to school in Nicker. I once ran away from the then principal because I thought he was Saint Nick.

261649.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Nolars

388LyLR.jpg

261765.gif

261907.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,693 ✭✭✭✭Penn

No wonder she risked eating the forbidden fruit. I bet it was right after that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement