Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Funny Side of Religion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Jernal wrote: »
    And put him on the same Pedestal as Heaney, Goldings, Steinbeck? :eek:

Meh - Winnie Churchill got one too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Did they specify a Noble Prize for Science? They could have meant for Fiction.

Opps... I meant 'literature'...fiction is such a down market term.

Wouldn't even give the lad an Ig Noble Prize

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

• Registered Users Posts: 8,707 ✭✭✭Worztron

273476.gif

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

• Advertisement

Sarky wrote: »
    What the actual f*ck. And his lecturers say he's on his way to a Nobel Prize? There are just no words to describe the face-melting stupidity.

GBelfkK.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

What the actual f*ck. And his lecturers say he's on his way to a Nobel Prize? There are just no words to describe the face-melting stupidity.
    Predictably, the university has no reputation. In fact it's not even rated by any of the usual academic indexes.

The main worry is that it's federally-funded, which goes to show the standard of "education" in Nigeria.

Anyone with a Nigerian qualification should really be aghast at this. If I found out my doctor's medical qualification came from a Nigerian university, I would refuse to let him treat me, almost solely based on this "research". The university in question was rated in the top ten in Nigeria (by a Nigerian index)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Here's the original article:

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/science-of-gay-marriage/158265/

"Wrong" cannot even begin to describe the smallest part of the totality of its awfulness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Another case of fractal wrongness, then:

fractal_wrongness.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

robindch wrote: »

"Wrong" cannot even begin to describe the smallest part of the totality of its awfulness.

I think my favourite part is this piece of mathematics:
    A + A = A
    But I reckon (unless it's a hoax of course) that the underlying thrust is due to this:
    “I want to be able to publish it in international journals. The finance has been a problem in this area because I found out that you you have to pay in dollars for international journals to publish you. You know finance is a factor and I don’t have money to start paying in US dollars and I need sponsors so that I can pay for the journals to be published.”

I can see some wealthy religious folk falling for that, it's a better trick than mass emailing a load of people claiming to be a Nigerian prince.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

1239859_10151863461370155_894065824_n.jpg

273607.gif

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

I think this would be the most suitable review of that article. :D

273700.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Driving affects ovaries and pelvis, Saudi sheikh warns women
    Saudi women seeking to challenge a de facto ban on driving should realize that this could affect their ovaries and pelvises, Sheikh Saleh bin Saad al-Luhaydan, a judicial and psychological consultant to the Gulf Psychological Association, told Saudi news website sabq.org.
    More Muslim fake science.

Of course my favourite is still "Muslim flat earth"
    hqdefault.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,935 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

dead_one strikes again! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

121-Thou-shalt-have-no-other-Gods-before-me-There-are-others-Philosoraptor-polytheism-freudian-slip.jpg

273804.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

Kivaro wrote: »
    121-Thou-shalt-have-no-other-Gods-before-me-There-are-others-Philosoraptor-polytheism-freudian-slip.jpg

Read that as Otter God...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,935 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

kiffer wrote: »

Who else could design perfectly flat tummies for otters to eat on? :pac:

• Advertisement

"Bacteria evolving resistance to antibiotics doesn’t affect us, insist creationists"

http://newsthump.com/2013/03/11/bacteria-evolving-resistance-to-antibiotics-doesnt-affect-us-insist-creationists/
    News Thump wrote:
    People who believe the world is 6,000 years old have said they’re not worried about antibiotic resistant strains of common infections, because evolution isn’t real. With the government’s chief medical officer Dame Sally Davies claiming that increased antibiotic resistance is as big a threat to civilisation as terrorism, creationists have held up their Bibles before insisting that they’ll be fine.

Creationist Simon Williams told us, “If evolution is true, then why is there still Staphylococcus aureus?” “You can’t answer that in the same way you can’t explain why there are still monkeys if they evolved into us.” “Just because a complex system of bacteria isn’t described in the Bible doesn’t mean God didn’t make it. Quite the opposite, he probably didn’t want us to sweat the details.”

With increasing concern amongst the medical population that antibiotic resistant strains of common bacteria could soon threaten millions of lives, some have suggested that people who don’t believe in evolution should give up using antibiotics altogether. As one researcher explained, “Most of these antibiotics only exist in the first place because of evolution amongst bacteria, so why should creationists use them?”

“It’s pretty simple, overuse of antibiotics is speeding up the evolutionary change amongst bacteria – so people who don’t believe this can happen should be the first to do without.” “It should be the first question a doctor asks before giving out a prescription – how old do you think the earth is, or ‘dinosaurs, did cavemen ride them?”

“We’d certainly lose a few creationists to evolving diseases, and also slow down the evolution of resistant strains. What’s not to love?”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I'm a creationist who has no problem believing in resistant strains of bacteria or of species adapting to their environment.:)

I'm a creationist who has no problem believing in resistant strains of bacteria or of species adapting to their environment
    Hmm... a creationist who believes that evolution is true.

This way, please!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

This way, please!

Ah Rob, don't even think about going there. If that particular ball of excrement was expunged from the net it would be a service for all mankind. Instead you wave it like a red rag.

Fie on thee, I say.

Ah now, if you just edit it to filter out every face-meltingly dumb thing posted by J C and dead one, it's crammed full of fascinating knowledge!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

Ah now, if you just edit it to filter out every face-meltingly dumb thing posted by J C and dead one, it's crammed full of fascinating knowledge!

Having both on ignore this is what happens. However, you can just feel the stupid bleeding through from their posts. It chills me that this level of whack-job is out there.

I'll admit, those of us who contributed to that thread often quote a lot of ignorant drivel, but only so we can point out exactly why it's ignorant drivel using loads of links, examples and actual science. I'd really recommend skimming through it (having minimised the levels of ignorance by putting the relevant, ahem, 'contributors' on ignore first, of course).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

I'll admit, those of us who contributed to that thread often quote a lot of ignorant drivel, but only so we can point out exactly why it's ignorant drivel using loads of links, examples and actual science. I'd really recommend skimming through it (having minimised the levels of ignorance by putting the relevant, ahem, 'contributors' on ignore first, of course).

I agree, there's some really interesting stuff scattered throughout.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭sephir0th

This way, please!

Ye but they're still the same Kind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

kiffer wrote: »

Knew this would come in handy someday. :)

perfectanimalshots30.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement