Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Funny Side of Religion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

5uspect wrote: »
    Cardinal tells Irish bishops only humility will renew church
    1224264555374_1.jpg
    Humility begins at home, they say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭liamw

Kay Burley has to say sorry for mistaking Ash Wednesday cross on U.S. Vice President Joe Biden's forehead for a bruise

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1251794/Kay-Burley-sorry-mistaking-Joe-Bidens-Ash-Wednesday-cross-bruise.html#ixzz0ftX52H7r

Ye and apparently she's a Catholic.. lol

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Persecution!!! Help!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

robindch wrote: »
    Persecution!!! Help!!!!!!!!!

*Starts a persecuted not a church thread*

That guy was fond of saying bullsh-t wasn't he?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

elements.jpg

• Advertisement

Not sure if this has been posted before:
    GetAttachment.aspx&hm__qs=file%3dc7622337-aa5a-404d-b181-8fb26f01078b.jpg%26ct%3daW1hZ2UvanBlZw_3d_3d%26name%3daW1hZ2UwMDEuanBn%26inline%3d1%26rfc%3d0%26empty%3dFalse%26imgsrc%3dcid%253a1.3188010711%2540web28214.mail.ukl.yahoo.com%26msgHash%3dffffffffffffffff&oneredir=1&ip=10.13.28.8&d=d4096&mf=0&a=01_1a32199a232b5000b12972628e907ddcbdeaf7ba27befd0921a7083b80057250

Galvasean wrote: »
    GetAttachment.aspx&hm__qs=file%3dc7622337-aa5a-404d-b181-8fb26f01078b.jpg%26ct%3daW1hZ2UvanBlZw_3d_3d%26name%3daW1hZ2UwMDEuanBn%26inline%3d1%26rfc%3d0%26empty%3dFalse%26imgsrc%3dcid%253a1.3188010711%2540web28214.mail.ukl.yahoo.com%26msgHash%3dffffffffffffffff&oneredir=1&ip=10.13.28.8&d=d4096&mf=0&a=01_1a32199a232b5000b12972628e907ddcbdeaf7ba27befd0921a7083b80057250
    It appears we require your Yahoo mail login to see this. Spit it out!

Dades wrote: »
    It asked me for hotmail.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

It asked me for hotmail.
    I don't see anything :confused:

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

liamw wrote: »

*yawn*

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I don't see anything :confused:

You're probably using Chrome like me.:cool:

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Malty_T wrote: »
    You're probably using Chrome like me.:cool:
    Nope, firefox

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Appropriate choice of words...

stained-glass-fellatio.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

weird, i can see the link when i quote you, but i don't see anything in the forum, or when i try and open the link in a new browser window.

it's a bit of a long link though, what's that all about? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

I googled the IP in the link, but the first link had a trojan so I went no further...

http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&q=http%3A%2F%2F65.55.85.231%2F&meta=&aq=f&oq=

odd...

EJ, not previously known for engaging with our religious has announced that Jesus was a "super-intelligent gay man".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/8523538.stm
    BBC wrote:
    Sir Elton John has claimed Jesus was a "super-intelligent gay man" in an interview with a US magazine.

The singer also told Parade Jesus was "compassionate", forgiving and "understood human problems".

A spokesman for the Church of England said: "Sir Elton's reflection that Jesus calls us all to love and forgive is one shared by all Christians."

"But insights into aspects of the historic person of Jesus are perhaps best left to the academics," he added.

Sir Elton said in the interview: "On the cross, he forgave the people who crucified him. Jesus wanted us to be loving and forgiving.

"I don't know what makes people so cruel. Try being a gay woman in the Middle East - you're as good as dead," he added.

In the interview, the singer also said he did not like being a celebrity any more because "fame attracts lunatics".

"Princess Diana, Gianni Versace, John Lennon, Michael Jackson, all dead. Two of them shot outside their houses. None of this would have happened if they hadn't been famous. I never had a bodyguard, ever, until Gianni died," he said.

The full interview will be published on Parade's website on Friday.

EJ, not previously known for engaging with our religious has announced that Jesus was a "super-intelligent gay man".
    Not according to Dan Brown he wasn't - and I know who I believe! :pac:

This reminds me of someone... Sam knows ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

SNEYj.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

jesusohnoyoudidnt.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/8523538.stm

Great line in the Belfast Telegraph in response to this "Now that we know Jesus is an abomination, we'll have to ask..... what would Iris do?"

The prominent, and possibly, the last surviving out and out leftie comedian, Mark Steel, discusses sex education and the religious in an article in the UK's Independent.
    Mark Steel wrote:
    You can teach birth control but you'll end in hell if you do it

There's no other subject schools can teach with their version of the truth

How can there be so many lunatics opposed to sex education? And apart from anything else, what makes them think a lesson about sex is going to make kids go out and immediately have sex? It's education about it, not an instruction to get it done before dinner break. Maybe they should demand an end to history lessons as well on the grounds that "I don't want my fourteen-year-old learning about Napoleon as he's too young to invade Italy."

It took institutions as irrational as the Catholic Church to make their objections, so a law was devised making sex education compulsory. But now, after "Extensive lobbying" from the priesthood, an amendment's been added that religious schools will still be able to teach their own unique Biblical version. For example, according to Ed Balls, Schools Secretary, the schools "can still teach contraception is wrong, but they can't refuse to teach it."

So that's an improvement I suppose. The Catholic teacher can demonstrate putting a condom on a banana, saying "First we expel the air, then place it over the end, then we remember if you do this for real you'll face an eternity in unimaginably agonising molten lava searing through your pores as you scream in soulless anguish while demons submerge you in relentless unbearable horror, then right the way along, nice and snug and we're done. Now you try."

If the only rule is that they have to teach about sex, but it doesn't matter if it's in any way true, the religious schools might as well teach anything they like. They could tell the class "Copy down these facts - 1) Doing it from behind makes your tongue fall out. 2) Masturbation causes earthquakes. 3) Every time you get an erection you poke an angel's eye out."

There's no other subject that schools would be allowed to teach with their own version of the truth. If a teacher told his class "Some people believe the capital of Italy is Rome, but I've always said it's Nairobi in the North Pole", they wouldn't get an Ofsted report saying "He might be teaching geography that's cobblers but he's teaching it, and that's the main thing."

Religious schools will probably try this trick with other lessons now, to see what they can get away with, refusing to teach chemistry as they don't believe in sulphur, or announcing they won't teach the six times table as the Pope's had a vision that it's wrong.

So we're left with differing methods of approaching sex education. One might be to acknowledge that we get desires, that can be lethal at times, so it's probably for the best if we find ways of managing them safely and respectfully. Or there's the more traditional method, which is more along the lines of "You know those natural feelings you get – well they're unnatural so stop having them."

They might as well teach that God wants everyone to be cold, and if we feel a desire to shut the door in winter we must fight the temptation, and we must go to the park in January in our swimming trunks to and, if we shiver or reach for a coat, that's Satan at work and we should discuss it with the priest.

This might do less damage than teaching sex education that involves pictures of sexually transmitted diseases, and stories of the decrepit life that awaits anyone who submits to sexual temptation. Imagine the outrage if people in favour of sex education resorted to those tactics, by saying "This is what happens if you stay a virgin all your life", and showing a picture of Ann Widdecombe.

But somehow it's when sexuality is most denied and suppressed, that you find society most riddled with torment and horror, of abused children shipped out of the country to avoid embarrassment and hushed up illegal abortions and all the things that God doesn't seem to mind as long as no one uses a condom.

But then the government probably isn't bothered about the social implications of their policy, as long as the schools get good exam results. They won't mind if the Catholic school turns out a heap of screwed-up teenagers as long as they get A grades for correctly calculating the angles in the holy trinity.

In any case it's probably all irrelevant, as most schools manage to make lessons excruciatingly dull whatever the subject. So it could be a sex education lesson about responsibility in relationships, using the problems of Ashley Cole, and by the end everyone would be staring out of the window as the teacher bawled "Come on, we ought to know this, what's wrong with Ashley's texts? Well, before he writes 'then make you scream like a hyena' there should be punctuation. No wonder he's in trouble, now write it out as he should have done."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 conorthehippy

pope-benedict2.jpg

C'mon!? Needs I say more?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

church.jpg

church.jpg

They spelt my name wrong! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

He he, I was going to say something along those lines but thought I better not. :P

• Advertisement

They spelt my name wrong! :mad:
    This is what I always think of...

gaviscon_liquid_aniseed_600.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement