Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Funny Side of Religion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

atheist1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

A case of mistranslation?
    vgK79.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭ColmDawson

mikhail wrote: »
    A case of mistranslation?

Nope, it's actually designed to prevent this being sprung upon you if you have movie night at your place:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭cypharius

ColmDawson wrote: »
    Nope, it's actually designed to prevent this being sprung upon you if you have movie night at your place:

I think I just vomited a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

:eek:

Tell me that's a joke! :eek: Oh my holy baby geesus! :pac: That is about the
    weirdest thing I've ever seen :D The psychology of that ad alone would get
    someone a PhD.

"mom, I won that round sport-smiley-003.gif" *cough*oedipal*urges*cough*. But what do I
    know because "christians happen to have started these United States of
    America
    "... :D

I bet Daniel Baldwin did the film to make some money for his brothers noble charity:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

cavedave wrote: »

That can't be real...can it?

Brilliant, though. If someone told me Roald Dahl had written the dialogue, I'd believe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

The Mad Hatter I do not think it is real. It is still really funny.

“It’s not council policy to deal with alleged paranormal activities”
    http://bigmentaldisease.com/dumb-media/hollyhill-haunted-house/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

jesus_dragon.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

faith-warrior-at-the-flood.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭mehfesto

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

108-Meaning-of-life-650x201.jpg

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Dougla2

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056052465
    i got related to hitler LOL

hitler had many great ideas many fail to realize he went the completely wrong way about it but he was a pioneer of genetics and world unification ofc this is debatable

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

That can't be real...can it?

Brilliant, though. If someone told me Roald Dahl had written the dialogue, I'd believe it.
    It is most odd, check this out...

http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/columnists/miles-kington/high-court-hangups-747313.html

I saw this one form the Independent ages ago, it seems to pre-date the Ocnus.net one by 6 years. I will see if I can find the case, if it is real.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

MrPudding wrote: »
    It is most odd, check this out...

http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/columnists/miles-kington/high-court-hangups-747313.html

I saw this one form the Independent ages ago, it seems to pre-date the Ocnus.net one by 6 years. I will see if I can find the case, if it is real.

MrP

The witness' responses are hilarious!
    Counsel: Yes, m'lud. Now, Mr Chrysler, perhaps you will describe what reason you had to steal 40,000 coat hangers?
    Chrysler: Is that a question?
    Counsel: Yes.
    Chrysler: It doesn't sound like one. It sounds like a proposition which doesn't believe in itself. You know – "Perhaps I will describe the reason I had to steal 40,000 coat hangers... Perhaps I won't... Perhaps I'll sing a little song instead..."
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Headline in today's Irish Times: Senior churchmen to 'give particular attention to victims of abuse'

Isn't that what caused the problem in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭jayzusb.christ

Apologies if these have been posted before, but anyone remember them?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjrn4dXE2yI
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70IAwHTzrHI&feature=relatedhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70IAwHTzrHI&feature=related

EDIT: Sorry about my rubbish web skills - you can get to them all from the first link anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Ha ha..

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Stolen from You Laugh You Lose
    waiting-for-god.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭liamw

From AH:

upabove4.png

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭muppeteer

From Films:

You must be an Atheist to hunt Trolls, because they can smell the blood of christians:D

• Advertisement

I'm currently being being amused (and occasionally enraged) by the latest atheism thread in After Hours.

Recipe for AH atheism thread:
    1. Grease tin with a kilo of tired misconception
    2. Add one suitably inflammatory OP, full of generalisation
    3. Sprinkle the OP with a healthy amount of thanks (this is useful for knowing whose posts to ignore while reading the thread)
    4. Collect dozens of the most ignorant, ill-informed posts from each thread in A&A, paraphrase and scatter throughout thread
    5. Whisk several logical fallacies and and stir in
    6. While stirring, add one poster with a persecution complex
    7. Continue stirring, add a handful of brave A&A regulars
    8. Bake for two to three days at sweltering temperatures

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Improbable

That's why I avoid AH. Every issue that can be discussed on AH is usually discussed somewhere else and in a much more serious and grown up fashion. People can come here if they want a rational and reasonable debate about an atheism topic. If you're posting in AH about something like that, you're usually just stirring the pot.

muppeteer wrote: »
    From Films:

You must be an Atheist to hunt Trolls, because they can smell the blood of christians:D

"The most important film of our time" is about bad CGI trolls? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Aldebaran

Just saw this new meme on Reddit:

9CYun.png
    Dont-offer-proof-of-existence-Torture-those-who-question-for-eternity.jpg

I'm currently being being amused (and occasionally enraged) by the latest atheism thread in After Hours.

Recipe for AH atheism thread:
    1. Grease tin with a kilo of tired misconception
    2. Add one suitably inflammatory OP, full of generalisation
    3. Sprinkle the OP with a healthy amount of thanks (this is useful for knowing whose posts to ignore while reading the thread)
    4. Collect dozens of the most ignorant, ill-informed posts from each thread in A&A, paraphrase and scatter throughout thread
    5. Whisk several logical fallacies and and stir in
    6. While stirring, add one poster with a persecution complex
    7. Continue stirring, add a handful of brave A&A regulars
    8. Bake for two to three days at sweltering temperatures

I read the first 15 pages ansd stopped because it goes on forever. What saddens me reading such threads is not the ramblings of the zealots such as the OP (they are lost causes anyhow), but the more reasonable people, self described agnostics or deists, who seem to think atheists are every bit as bad as the Jehovah's Witnesses who knock at your door or 6 day Creationists.

Galvasean wrote: »
    I read the first 15 pages ansd stopped because it goes on forever. What saddens me reading such threads is not the ramblings of the zealots such as the OP (they are lost causes anyhow), but the more reasonable people, self described agnostics or deists, who seem to think atheists are every bit as bad as the Jehovah's Witnesses who knock at your door or 6 day Creationists who.
    Yeah, the kind of people who take some sort of pride in saying they're not convinced that evolution is true, or act like there's a 50/50 chance of god existing. Argh.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Galvasean wrote: »
    I read the first 15 pages ansd stopped because it goes on forever. What saddens me reading such threads is not the ramblings of the zealots such as the OP (they are lost causes anyhow), but the more reasonable people, self described agnostics or deists, who seem to think atheists are every bit as bad as the Jehovah's Witnesses who knock at your door or 6 day Creationists who.
    Yeah, the kind of people who take some sort of pride in saying they're not convinced that evolution is true, or act like there's a 50/50 chance of god existing. Argh.

I have to admit I was one of those people once. It's so easy if you are uninformed on the subject to take common assumptions as truth. Most of them can be reasoned out of it though, it's only a matter of communicating with them without scoffing and having lots of patience. AHs sadly isn't the place for it.

Yeah, the kind of people who take some sort of pride in saying they're not convinced that evolution is true,

Yeah, I think people don't want to be seen as inpartial in such matters so just say, "I don't know" or "I'm not totally convinced". However, such thinking is easily remedied by a bit of research. If they truly want to know enlightenment is only a quick read away.

oh no, I've been dragged in...

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭jayzusb.christ

I have to admit I was one of those people once.

Me too. I've read a bit more since then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Improbable

In a way, I consider myself lucky because I was raised with no faith by parents who were atheists long before I was born. I didn't get any silly religious ideas ingrained in my head from an early age. But on the other hand, I do find it more difficult relating to religious people on the topic of religion because I simply cannot put myself in their shoes, especially in the case of those who were raised religious.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement