Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Funny Side of Religion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Improbable wrote: »
    Isn't this pretty much the definition of an afterlife?
    Another competing version of a second/after/life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

scientific-creationist-lg.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

20101008.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

20100830.gif

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 51,799 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

xs3qw_02b4.jpg

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

This is possibly the best thread title I have ever seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Zillah wrote: »
    This is possibly the best thread title I have ever seen.

Bastard! I have an extremely serious and important meeting with someone later tonight and now I keep bursting into a uncontrollable child like giggle every half an hour or so.....

Rats, they corrected it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Zillah wrote: »
    Rats, they corrected it.
    What did it say damn you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

"God becoming very territorial, and barking agressively"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭mehfesto

11132_217581807754_761087754_4020261_2556508_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

mehfesto wrote: »
    11132_217581807754_761087754_4020261_2556508_n.jpg

The discordians have all positions covered:

pope-card.jpg
    wikipedia wrote:
    Popes

According to the Principia Discordia, a pope is “every single man, woman, and child on this Earth.”[12]

Included in the Principia Discordia is an official Pope card that may be reproduced and distributed freely to anyone and everyone.[12] Papacy, however, is not granted through possession of this card; it merely informs people that they are “a genuine and authorized Pope” of Discordia.

While the powers of a Pope are not enumerated in the Principia, we are given some idea from a note under the card which states, “A POPE is someone who is not under the authority of the authorities.” Some Discordians have also taken it upon themselves to further elaborate upon the powers of a Pope. On the back of some Pope cards, the following message can be found:

The rights of a Pope include but are not necessarily limited to:

1. To invoke infallibility at any time, including retroactively.
    2. To completely rework the Erisian church.
    3. To baptise, bury, and marry (with the permission of the deceased in the latter two cases).
    4. To excommunicate, de-ex-communicate, re-ex-communicate, and de-re-ex-communicate (no backsies!) both him-/her-/it-/them-/your-/our-/Him-/Her-/It-/Them-/Your-/Our-self/selves and others (if any).
    5. To perform all rites and functions deemed inappropriate for a Pope of Discordia.

The third right (requiring permission from the deceased in cases of burying or marriage, but not baptism) may be a reference to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints practice of baptism for the dead, or it may just be a witty conflation of marriage and death.

This understanding of the notion of Pope has far reaching consequences in Discordianism. For example, the introduction to Principia Discordia says, “Only a Pope may canonize a Saint. … So you can ordain yourself — and anyone or anything else — a Saint.” The last enumerated right of a Pope may be an allusion to the Necessary and Proper Clause.

A female version, with the word Mome substituted for Pope, has also been promulgated.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

cool, i always wanted to be a pope. not the one we have now obviously, i'd only use my powers for good.

for starters i'd use my papal infallibility to declare that everyone gets a clean slate in the 'sin' department and that the whole of the human race has been punished enough for adam and eve's curiosity. and it shall forever be on earth as it is in heaven, amen. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

This is a tough one, if you can watch all this video with a perfectly placid face then you have successfully passed the test that confirms you are a robot. Introducing Republican Candidate Art Robinson, Creationist, Anti-Climatologist, AIDs Denier, Alternative Medicine proponent, founder of the Oregon of Science and Medicine (Bullsh1ters haven), Proponent of Radiation hormesis; the "hypothesis" that Low levels of radiation are good for you, and shed load of utter nutter beliefs that I've forgotten about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

vibe666 wrote: »
    cool, i always wanted to be a pope. not the one we have now obviously, i'd only use my powers for good.

for starters i'd use my papal infallibility to declare that everyone gets a clean slate in the 'sin' department and that the whole of the human race has been punished enough for adam and eve's curiosity. and it shall forever be on earth as it is in heaven, amen. :D

Now you must read Robert Anton Wilson, or at least watch his stuff on youtube fnord

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

The follow up adds some fun information on his scientific work :pac:

Malty_T wrote: »
    This is a tough one, if you can watch all this video with a perfectly placid face then you have successfully passed the test that confirms you are a robot. Introducing Republican Candidate Art Robinson, Creationist, Anti-Climatologist, AIDs Denier, Alternative Medicine proponent, founder of the Oregon of Science and Medicine (Bullsh1ters haven), Proponent of Radiation hormesis; the "hypothesis" that Low levels of radiation are good for you, and shed load of utter nutter beliefs that I've forgotten about.

Jesus fucking Christ.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Malty_T wrote: »
    the "hypothesis" that Low levels of radiation are good for you
    I'm not going to risk self-injury by watching that video, but believe it or not, there's a credible case to be made that radiation in low doses may be "good". The jury's out, more research needed, etc, etc, but the basic facts are as follows:

Since radiation was discovered to be harmful, there's been a debate about whether the damage caused by radiation is always directly proportional to the dose at all dosages, and particularly at low dosages -- basically whether the dosage/damage graph is a line of constant slope. This damage model is called the Linear-No-Threshold model (LNT) and it's generally accepted by most, and probably all, health authorities because it's conservative.

However, in the early 80's in Taiwan, a large number of apartments were built using radiation-contaminated steel -- for a variety of reasons, and recalling the time I used to work at Irish Steel in Haulbowline in Cork, it's distressingly easy to produce radiation-contaminated steel. People lived in these apartments for some years before the contamination was discovered, but once it was, the epidemiologists got to work quickly to figure out how much damage had been done. It turned out that while there were a few cases of Leukaemia, the rates of cancer in general amongst the residents of the contaminated apartments were far, far lower than normal for Taiwan during this period -- around 3% or so of the expected figure.

This incident has been written up in the scientific literature, for example, this intriguing paper on the NIH website:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2477708/

But although it's now part of the scientific canon, this paper hasn't really achieved a wide circulation and the incident itself is still relatively unknown.

As I said above, more research needed etc, etc, but the prima facie case is very interesting indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭mehfesto

Taken from the you laugh you lose thread!

fsd.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Stolen from ylyl. Wth? They keep getting the best stuff first. :mad:

5OFUT.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Improbable

hammer.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Dougla2

CIfYD.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6edqRgDYg0&feature=player_embedded

Steve Carell vs Setphen Colbert

Islam vs Christianity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Colbert is brilliant but I just can't believe he's a fairly strong Catholic, the one thing I can't square with everything else he does.

amacachi wrote: »
    Colbert is brilliant but I just can't believe he's a fairly strong Catholic, the one thing I can't square with everything else he does.
    Well, the character is, I have my doubts whether he is. It can be hard to tell sometimes if he's playing Colbert the manic republican or is just himself.

eucharist.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Nevore wrote: »
    Well, the character is, I have my doubts whether he is. It can be hard to tell sometimes if he's playing Colbert the manic republican or is just himself.

He's at mass every week and he teaches a Sunday school class. Obviously the character is a pisstake but I'm pretty sure he's quite religious in real life too.

• Advertisement

amacachi wrote: »
    He's at mass every week and he teaches a Sunday school class. Obviously the character is a pisstake but I'm pretty sure he's quite religious in real life too.
    Wow, didn't realise that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement