Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

O2 Increase PrePay call Tarriffs

• 06-04-2007 7:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Saw in the Irish Times today that O2 are increasing their charges to their pre paid customers ...

Customer on "early bird" have their "peak hours" increased BY 6 HOURS. This means that calls to Meteor/Vodafone/3 have increased during these hours from 19c to a whopping 63c per minute. :mad: :mad:

Customers of "night owl" have also had their off peak hours reduced.

This comes at the time when Vodafone are matching Meteors prepay text for life offer. For most people O2 is one of more expensive options for prepay customers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

I'm really fed up of O2 at the moment

1st: They end 1c wknds
    2nd: They increase the hours of peak

grr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

I guess thats me off to 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭JTMan

Makes me sick what the telcos especially O2 do with their complex tarrif marketing games ...

The comreg quarterly survey really backs up the claims that as a general rule for most usage types O2 is more expensive. The survery listed the market share by number of users and then listed the market share of revenue. The percent of money taken from irish mobile customers exceeds their percentage market share - the same does not apply to Meteor. I know this is not the most scientific method to compare tarrif charges this but it provides some guidance as to average operator tariff costs.

Vodafone prepay do have expensive peak call charges to other networks for but at least they are trying to complete with the challenge from Meteor ... O2 just seem focused on business and contract while at the same time squeezing their prepay customers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I really don't understand O2, they seem to be failing to launch anything interesting either from a price or technology point of view.

No serious 3G roll out yet, high prices, poor marketing...
    iMode's not really very exciting, can't see any difference between iMode and the likes of services provided via WAP 2.0 on 3, Vodafone etc..

What's going on!? They were innovative at one stage!

Squeezing prepay customer's is a dangerous game. They can leave at the drop of a hat and keep their number. I can see a BIG flight to Meteor in particular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Right thats me gone too now id say, screw them. Sick of their crap

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cupthehand

O2 are definetly going the wrong way about prepay customers, I for one am off to Meteor or maybe Vodafone.

Could anyone clarify a few points for me about Meteor first though......

1). Can you use Meteor webtext to text any international number?
    2). Have Meteor only got sets of 100 txt bundles and not 200, 400 & 800 like O2?
    3.) Can I change over to them online or what is the actual process in changing?

Sorry for all the questions now but am fairly sick of O2 so its either Meteor or vodafone for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

I just checked the web site, and the prices and times are still the same!? When are these price increases supposed to come into effect? My family won't be very pleased having to pay more for the same service. Perhaps you miss-read the ad?

cupthehand, to answer your question number one, no, Meteor webtext will not let you text international numbers. Only local numbers work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 wiggum

I just checked the web site, and the prices and times are still the same!? When are these price increases supposed to come into effect? My family won't be very pleased having to pay more for the same service. Perhaps you miss-read the ad?.

It comes into effect on May 7th ... no suprise that they have not updated their website. The web link in the ad links to the business section of their website ... they really just don't give a sh** about prepay customers any more.

Can you use Meteor webtext to text any international number?
    No but international texts are 15c with meteor versus 25c with O2.

Have Meteor only got sets of 100 txt bundles and not 200, 400 & 800 like O2?
    Their bundles are 150 plus you get unlimited free meteor texts.

Can I change over to them online or what is the actual process in changing?

AFAIK ... You have to go into a Carphone warehouse, 3G or meteor store.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭barrett1965

I can't understand what o2 are doing by increasing their tarrifs when every other operator is ruduceing theirs. I was actually considering moving from Vodafone to 02 recently because of the laters high charges, but after reading this post, I am staying put. In fact, Vodafone have just brought in two new price-plans which aren't bad. I have chosen the Advantage one. 19c to Vodafone and landlines and 49c to al other networks - anytime.

Also with o2, why are they the only network who charge for voicemail? I asked a rep once and she give me a yarn about their extended off-peak charges and 1c calls at the weekend; that's no longer the case though.

Could someone post the new tariffs? So far, nobody has, and obviously they're not on the web site either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cupthehand

wiggum wrote:
    It comes into effect on May 7th ... no suprise that they have not updated their website. The web link in the ad links to the business section of their website ... they really just don't give a sh** about prepay customers any more.

Can you use Meteor webtext to text any international number?
    No but international texts are 15c with meteor versus 25c with O2.

Have Meteor only got sets of 100 txt bundles and not 200, 400 & 800 like O2?
    Their bundles are 150 plus you get unlimited free meteor texts.

Can I change over to them online or what is the actual process in changing?

AFAIK ... You have to go into a Carphone warehouse, 3G or meteor store.

Thanks for the answers, might change to Vodafone me thinks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

im with 3 for a bit now, left o2. and of course their legendary web site is never working when you need it.
    leave em now chaps:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

Reducing off peak hours is an effective price rise - let the consumer beware.

I was actually hoping that 02 would give us free voicemail like meteor and vodafone.

I'll stick with them a while longer but with number portability - I'll be checking out callcosts.ie

Are Tesco Mobile also on the horizon?

Cork wrote:

I was actually hoping that 02 would give us free voicemail like meteor and vodafone.

I made the cery same point earlier. I'd love to know why they charge for voicemail. They couldn't really be making much money from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Cork wrote:
    I'll stick with them a while longer but with number portability - I'll be checking out callcosts.ie
    not a good idea tbh. it doesn't take account of any of the offers that the various networks offer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

Actually changed from O2 to meteor last year, best thing i ever done

I just called O2. They have NO plans to decrease the off-peak hours (or indeed increase the peak hours).

Further, they have a friends & family offer for prepay customers, where you can nominate three (3) other numbers on O2 and call them on the weekends and off-peak for just 1 cent a minute.

So for example if you're on Early Bird, you can call the three (3) nominated numbers all weekend, public holidays and between 8 am and 6 pm during the week for 1 cent/minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I know someone who works in an O2 store and she told me they were being changed. She got an email about it last week. Not a price change directly, but a change in the peak hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭GBX

One of the things o2 boasted was the long off peak hours. I'll be thinking about changing too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Wish they saw this thread to be honest and see what is happening. They really would want to get their act together if they going to keep a share of the market.
    I can tell you i definetely leaving as soon as i get enoguh money to get new phone and it will be meteor id say.

• Advertisement

It's very short sighted as often a prepay customer will mature into a bill pay one. Not to mention there's a very high profit margin on prepay too!

All this will do is drive lots of people to Meteor, and possibly 3.
    Vodafone's prices aren't all that attractive either.

O2 and Voda have always treated prepay customers as second class citizens though. E.g. charging for customer service calls, neither Meteor nor 3 do this...

O2 also has all of the call forwarding etc features locked out and charges for voicemail which is a bit nasty.

Also with o2, why are they the only network who charge for voicemail?

Why? Because they can and they like squeezing their Irish customers to ensure their ARPU is one of the highest in the world.

Incidentally the change in peak hours has increased their voicemail charges as well as O2 have a "peak" voicemail charge ... scandalous.

As you pointed out voicemail with Vodafone, Meteor and 3 is free.

Fungus wrote:

Incidentally the change in peak hours has increased their voicemail charges as well as O2 have a "peak" voicemail charge ... scandalous.

I forgot that...you really have to be on the ball with these networks, especially with o2. I think they are the sneakiest of the lot.

I forgot that...you really have to be on the ball with these networks, especially with o2. I think they are the sneakiest of the lot.

I rang up O2 yesterday, and was told that they had no plans to increase the peak hours on Early Bird or Night Owl. They even confirmed that the current hours, for example off-peak between 6 pm and 10 am for Night Owl customers, would remain the same. Wouldn't it be funny if it turned out that we all fell for a late April fool's joke?

:o
    I rang up O2 yesterday, and was told that they had no plans to increase the peak hours on Early Bird or Night Owl. They even confirmed that the current hours, for example off-peak between 6 pm and 10 am for Night Owl customers, would remain the same. Wouldn't it be funny if it turned out that we all fell for a late April fool's joke?

If that's the case, then I stand corrected. I was commenting on the origional posters post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Ring back and ask to speak to another agent. If they keep giving you incorrect information take their names and write a complaint to O2.

Well ... The Sunday Tribune have picked up on this thread and the sad actions of wooo2 ireland ... They have taken quotes from this thread in their article ...
    http://www.tribune.ie/article.tvt?_scope=Tribune/Business/Technology&id=65525&SUBCAT=Tribune/Business/Technology

Glad to see that at least one media group is taking O2 to account for their actions. Although O2s comment that it was "not boosting revenue" is laughable. Of course they are ... through stealth confusing tarriff amendments to ensure as many customers as possible pay their standard network charge of 63c per minute.

BTW, is 63 cent per minute the higest in Europe for calls?

Well, there's very little holding O2 prepay customers to O2. You can change network, porting your number within a couple of mins and usually get a nice new handset while your at it.

Let's just hope O2 customers have the sense to vote with their feet and that O2 feels it in its bottom line.

I think they're forgetting that the prepay mobile sector in Ireland's actually one of the more compeditive bits of the telecommunications system!!

I'm increasingly unimpressed with O2 though:

1) 3G roll out? What's going on there?
    2) Speakeasy rate hike
    3) No control over call diverts for Speakeasy
    4) Charging prepay customers a fee for calling customer service (as does vodafone)
    5) Website has taken a nosedive in layout/funcationality
    6) Poor choice of handsets, particularly on Prepay
    7) Overreliance on iMode which no longer has any edge over WAP 2.0 which every other network is using anyway.

I'll be avoiding them until I see some improvements!!

Meteor could really do damage if they highlight the rates!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

Good article in highlighting the reduction of off peak hours.
    The Irish Independent reports that O2 Ireland is seeking to quadruple the revenue it generates from calls to charities and a number of public service bodies through the 1850 'locall' number. The mobile operator is proposing a 400 percent price increase from EUR4.17 to EUR16.74 per minute on peak calls. In a proposal to telecoms watchdog ComReg, O2 has also proposed to hike the prices on off-peak and weekend calls to the same number. 1850 numbers are usually fixed at a local call rate and are used by charities, information services, government bodies and businesses.
    http://www.enn.ie/news.html?code=10036601

O2 do seem to be trying to increase profits alright.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Cork wrote:
    Good article in highlighting the reduction of off peak hours.

http://www.enn.ie/news.html?code=10036601

O2 do seem to be trying to increase profits alright.
    Everyone wants to increase profits - it's called business ;)

I think it's the way they seem to be going about it that's pissing everyone off. They seem to be trying to remove any "advantage" they had over other networks, bringing themselves "in line with other networks" and in turn shooting themselves in the foot by showing their customer service alone may not win over the market.

Advertisement