Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

My New Motor?

Options
  • 06-04-2007 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭

Rite all,

Ive been searching a good bit for a few weeks for a new motor and Ive (hopefully) narrowed it down to a choice of 4. Each choice I feel is different, differernt handling, economy, power etc but each of them I like.

But now my prob is which one to choose.

Start with the mondeo. Ive currently got an 01 zetec TDDi and i love it, but i wish there was less wind and tire noise. The engine too is harsh sounding.

The passat looks great, is pretty refined but has some slight electrical issues and the turbo is not as reliable as other cars. its very quite inside but i find the handling lacking.

The Alfa, and im not starting another alfa discussion thread here, but i find the 166 a tasty car, seems to have improved reliability from older alfas, and its a great drive. Downside is the extra care needs to be taken and service can be expensive.

The Accord is a nice car, decent looks, good power, but the engine doesnt get great mpg (30mpg according to sites) compared to the other cars like the passat or mondeo.

So there it is. My short list, well at the moment anyway.

What does people think?

-Matt

Which Motor 159 votes

2005/6 Ford Mondeo ST2.2 TDCi
    0%
    2005/6 Honda Accord 2.2 CDTI
    16%
    yopmondeoman[Deleted User]techCyrustechieSkyuserWizZardimpr0vHungryJoeymaidhcBulmerspm.SavmanMax_DamageHenry Ford IIILt SmashAndrewf20slickmcvicpatrickc 26 votes
    2002-05 Alfa Romeo 166 2.0 Lusso
    71%
    StephenAtomic PineappleBalfaLuciferbytelittlejukkaTheFatjoolsveeropusPáidMutzondaflyzAbboDukeDreddtuxyWossackRedrocketquarrymanrockyjesus_thats_gre 113 votes
    2005/6 VW Passat 2.0 TDI S
    12%
    rabbitinlightsmijuGuy:IncognitoMadsLMacGyveralancendplateEoinprospectFunxyfitsNiSmOcolm_mcmPoleStarstephenmarrAnan1Bandana boydeftonesil gattoCj Mac 20 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I voted for the Honda, because it's probably the best all rounder and you're likely to get a few more toys.

Funny story about a 166:

Was on work experience in a Fiat/Alfa dealership in Limerick a few years ago and was re-arranging the frontline line-up with the secondhand salesman.

Me: why don't you put the 166 there out the front...that looks a very clean car

SHS: only one problem there, doesn't have an engine

It was only about 18 months old at the time...I didn't ask questions, but as for improved reliability, just make sure everything is perfect if you decide on the 166

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

Honda as well, and Passat as a second choice with Alfa last.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Honda, Honda, Honda, there is no competition here.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Honda for sure. I am going for the 2.0i Honda Accord in 2 months, but i am going petrol because i don't do huge mileage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Bear in mind that the Accord 2.2 CTDi comes only in Executive trim in this country, meaning it has everything including a gorgeous leather interior.

In addition you'll have the tick-tock reliability you won't have with the others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The Accord diesel gets alot better fuel economy than 30mpg, even the 2.0 litre petrol can do better than that. Granted there are more economical diesel engine in this class but that engine is a very refined unit and ultra quite for a diesel. Also the spec is probably one of the best for the money. leather electric seats, cd changer, etc all standard. The Accord is also a nice drive with a comfortable ride, reliability and resale value is also good with them.

The Mondeo ST220 TDCi would probably be my second choice. The performance would be a major plus as well as the economy of a diesel. Other plus points are that they are reasonably priced in the UK and the ST220 is very rare here. The body kit is nice yet subtle and the large wheels give it a bit more presence than lesser Mondeos, they are pretty well speced too and have a sporty drive. Only downside is resale value if that is important.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

well the car i would be buying will be imported from the uk as i did this with my last motor and saved nearly a grand. I love the look of the mondeo St kit and it a solid car, but the engine noise and tyre noise let it down.

I dont have much experience with the accord apart from banging my knee in one at a motor show 2 years ago when i hit it of the steering column gettin out. i think thats what put me off it until now :)

found an accord that seems to be up to spec. only prob i see is lot a much leg room in the back, and the steering is reported to be light on twisty roads

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/www/CARS_large_image_popup.jsp?id=200710274242702&channel=DEALERPAGE&adcategory=cars&largeId=488802601

had a look around a passat today and i was impressed with it. Only thing i didnt like was the electric handbrake button thingy. Otherwise very tempted :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

My ould fella drives an Accord iCTDI and does very high miles with it (say 500/week). According to the onboard computer it consumes about 5.6l/100km on those trips :)

According to my friend google calculator that's about 50.4 mpg in UK gallons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Don't worry about the electric handbrake on the Passat - you'll get used to it. The Passat is a nice motor - but it is frought with problems - fuel pump (affects most Passats and leaves you stuck on the side of the road), turbo, heated rear window, handbrake motor problems, radio problems, and a few others I can't think of right now. Passats, the new type, are trouble at the moment. I'm a big fan of VWs, tbh, but in your case I'd go with the Honda - as reliable as sunrise! The Honda gets my vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

had a look around a passat today and i was impressed with it. Only thing i didnt like was the electric handbrake button thingy. Otherwise very tempted :D

Then you're going against the verdict of the Boards! - clear majority for the Honda.

And probably an even clearer majority % if you remove 5 or 6 votes from each option where people are supporting the car they have themselves rather than evaluating all 4 objectively (and fewer Hondas out there than Mondeos or Passats so less likely to be fanboys voting).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Seinas

ahh the Honda!!!!! have you looked into getting a sports version of the Accord?? it's a real machine :D

Im looking at the 2.2TDCI honda hopefully tomorrow. Only looked at the passat today by chance as it was in a mate garage and i took a look about.

The honda is top of my list at the mo, but ive only seen the outside of one. need to find out what the inside is like and how it drives.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Just go with the Honda - it won't let you down. It will also hold it's value and prove easy to sell when the time comes to change it.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I reckon the Honda is the best, and has the best image of all the cars listed.

Goin to look at a mondeo st2.2 2005 for 13k tomorrow. Then checking out the honda on monday hopefully. So maybe have a new motor next week.

The mondeo looks great so for, 32k on the clock and still under warrenty hmmmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

the honda hands down, i have driven a 2.2ctdi before and its very very nice, if not a bit laggy.

Didnt it win diesel of the year at some stage or some award?

C_Breeze wrote:
    the honda hands down, i have driven a 2.2ctdi before and its very very nice, if not a bit laggy.

Didnt it win diesel of the year at some stage or some award?

Ive read reviews that the honda engine was much more refined than the mondeo. What i need to see is how the handling and suspension does on the windy roads i take to work. The mondeo is supprisingly good and very little body roll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭PoleStar

I have (or HAD and Alfa 166, my other half now drives it)

Great car, best drivers car Ive had. Loads of kit and very sporty engine. Although theyre a crap new buy, if you get a good price on a scone hand one, 4 years old or more, its a great bargain, lots of car for the money and someone else has taken the massive depreciation hit for you!

As for reliability, Ive never had any problems apart from minor things which you get on any car from suzuki to BMW. My bro had a 156 and also he never had any trouble so I dont think the reliability is such a problem like it used to be.

Still though as others have said, its a car I love myself but wouldnt recommend to a friend! (that fear of it blowing up or something will always be there ha!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭what_car

Seinas wrote:
    ahh the Honda!!!!! have you looked into getting a sports version of the Accord?? it's a real machine :D

i too am looking at getting the accord.. changing from an avensis diesel 06

i was thinking of going for the type S auto... but colour hard decision to decide?

my next point, am i mad changing from diesel to petrol just to get auto?
    the reason i came to decide on the accord, is the reliability and also their auto is 5 speed, where as toyotas are only 4 speed, plus the accord doesent look like a priest's car!!

im buying new and the new s type auto costs €38,075 and the diesel exec
    €43800 thats a difference of €5725!
    i dont see any other cars that i like at the minute in the 38500 max price range..

• Registered Users Posts: 35 hewlett

what_car wrote:
    i too am looking at getting the accord.. changing from an avensis diesel 06

i was thinking of going for the type S auto... but colour hard decision to decide?

my next point, am i mad changing from diesel to petrol just to get auto?
    the reason i came to decide on the accord, is the reliability and also their auto is 5 speed, where as toyotas are only 4 speed, plus the accord doesent look like a priest's car!!

im buying new and the new s type auto costs €38,075 and the diesel exec
    €43800 thats a difference of €5725!
    i dont see any other cars that i like at the minute in the 38500 max price range..

Just so you know, Honda are now selling a 'Sport' version of the diesel which costs around €39000

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

1. Honda
    2. Mondeo
    3. Alfa
    4. Passat

You will find it very difficult to find a 166 after 2002/3 over here. Very rare.

The Honda would be my weapon of choice and I currently have an Alfa

th_44298_DSC01431_122_509lo.JPG

Took this for a test drive after work. Its a 2005 2.2iTDCi with 42k on the clock. there lookin for 33k for it.

Ok

Mondeo ST2.2TDCi

Pros
    Great Power
    Firm sharp handeling
    Lots of Leg Room front and back
    6 CD Player
    Air Con / Climate Control
    Cruise Control
    Remote Electric Windows
    Partial Heated Leather seats
    Sun Glasses Holder above rear view mirror
    Timing Chain

Cons
    Engine very loud
    Loud Tyre Noise
    Manual Car Seat recline knob annoying

Accord 2.2iTDCI

Pros
    Great Engine, very refined
    Larger Rev Band
    Electric seat adjustment
    Clearer displays
    Better MPG
    Full Leather heated Seats
    6CD Front Loading CD changer
    Cruise control
    Air Con / Dual Climate Control
    Sun Roof

Cons
    Less Leg room in front
    Much less in back but acceptable
    Smaller Boot and Glove box
    Slightly more expensive service costs

I can see what people are saying about the honda. Its a great car and very comfortable. There is just enuff leg room for me drivin, its ok, not uncomfortable, but i would prefer an two or three inches more like the mondeo has.

Now to justify spending 33k on a car :D

Arrrgggggg.

Finally got most of my funds for the new car, found the perfect car in a dealer in cookstown, and test drove it last thurs. I loved it.

Rang today to put a deposit on it, and the guy said someone put a deposit on it an hour before i rang. DAMN.

Ok guys,

I got my motor. Just picked it up and can i say that the poll for this thread was spot on. This car is fantastic, and ive never been happier with a car. The comfort is excellent, the suspension is nice, the ride comfy and the engine is very refined. And the power is sweet. :D

Thanks to all for the help selecting the car and its my pride and joy.

New Car 1.jpg

New Car 2.jpg

DSC01575.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭what_car

Ok guys,

I got my motor. Just picked it up and can i say that the poll for this thread was spot on. This car is fantastic, and ive never been happier with a car. The comfort is excellent, the suspension is nice, the ride comfy and the engine is very refined. And the power is sweet. :D

Thanks to all for the help selecting the car and its my pride and joy.

New Car 1.jpg

New Car 2.jpg

DSC01575.JPG

niceone enjoy.........it looks very fresh nice colour too...tell me how did u put up the pics of the car? tell me how and ill stick up a pic of my new stype auto 155 BHP ,,,

there a well put together motor arnt they?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,437 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Best of luck with your new motor :)

• Advertisement

what_car wrote:
    niceone enjoy.........it looks very fresh nice colour too...tell me how did u put up the pics of the car? tell me how and ill stick up a pic of my new stype auto 155 BHP ,,,

there a well put together motor arnt they?

Fantastic motor. Im so happy. When you post a reply, use the post reply bottom at bottom left of the page, then in the message window, use the paperclip icon to attach the images.

unkel wrote:
    Best of luck with your new motor :)

Thanks, there a top car and im glad i change from the mondeo.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement