Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is bowling so expensive?

Options
  • 06-04-2007 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭

Why is bowling so expensive*?.
    In my opinion bowling would be much more popular in Ireland if it was more affordable for what you get. Currently imo the price of bowling is far too high keeping it an occasional persuit for most. I really like the game but the high price certainly wouldnt encourage me to take it up as a regular hobby.

I mean there cant be much overheads?. Ok the lanes need to polished and maintained and fitters hired to keeping things working but that seems to be pretty much it, its just lane time. So why is it that bowling so expensive keeping most of us as occasional players?.

The high price of bowling hasnt been a thing ive heard discussed much maybe because we dont want to appear to be skin flints? Am i on my own or do you think it would be played more if it were a cheaper persuit?

*(example of current prices of one of the bigger bowling places in Dublin)MON-SUN 7PM-12AM €40.00 PER HOUR or €7.25 PER GAME.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I have to agree with you completely rounders! I've no idea why the game is so expensive and I worked in a bowling alley! :D

If it's any consolation bowling is just as expensive in the UK. I do know that the initial set up is very, very expensive. We're talking huge! Especially for alleys using older machines and wooden lanes (not many wooden lanes left these days!).

The reason I first started playiing bowling was because at that time a 1 hour lesson was cheaper than booking a lane for an hour...so myself and my brother used to pay for an hour coaching.

I'm not sure how it works these days in Ireland but league bowling used to be far cheaper than casual bowling and I have to say that it's more enjoyable since you get to know the regulars and they help you improve! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

Why is bowling so expensive*?.

*(example of current prices of one of the bigger bowling places in Dublin)MON-SUN 7PM-12AM €40.00 PER HOUR or €7.25 PER GAME.

Apart from losing my balls ... eh, I'll re-phrase that. One of the reason I didn't replace my kit after the car was stolen was the cost. Buying two new balls and a couple of pairs of shoes wasn't the issue. At the time a ball was about £120, so I was looking at £500 max. The real issue for me was the cost of bowling. 10 years ago to bowl in Tallaght in the evening would set you back £15 an hour IIRC. So €40 doesn't really surprise me. It's absolutely outrageous.

I think the main reason for this is that there was a practical monopoly on bowling alleys in Dublin after the Leisureplex people bought up anything they could. Initial investment must be massive and a desire to get that investment back asap is obviously going to increase the price to the punter. And that crack of paying at the door? WTF?

When 6 people can play for an hour for €40 it seems like OK value, until they actually realise that it can be difficult to have good craic and play a full game in an hour. Having said that, I'm sure the owners know their stuff and are happy to screw their customerrs for as muc as they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

Yeah I dont get it either, these bowling alleys are open 24 hours but are left empty most of the time cause its so bleed expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

I suppose that's how they make the most profit.

No justification for it though.

DubTony's point about the Leisureplex near-monopoly on everything in Dublin is quite true and valid but is reflected somewhat by the Bowling alley in Clonmel charging €30+ an hour for bowling...probably because it's new and they want to recoup investment quickly and because there are no bowling alleys anywhere nearby!

It's the same in the UK, Hollywood Bowl, AMF Bowl and 10Pin are the major players over here and prices are very high. It is a pity because bowling is a very family-friendly game yet not family friendly on the pocket :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

DubTony wrote:
    And that crack of paying at the door? WTF?

This is refundable off the bowling if you produce your €1 entry reciepts when paying for bowling.

Thats bad news about your car getting stolen with all your bowling stuff too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

In Hong Kong, you could play an hour bowling for around €20, and a single game for around €3 - €4, but that's because there's so many bowling alleys and competition is stiff, if you were to set up a new alley in HK, I don't think it would last very long if you were to charge anything above the mentioned prices in this post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 glen290

I agree with r3nu4l, its pretty expensive over in the uk, but being a league bowler, we do get a pretty good discount, so its now £1.60 a game, as opposed to £3.80 :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Having worked and managed in a Bowling alley myself in Dublin I can tell you its not a cheap business to run. Our bowling alley had Brunswick A-2 machines which were not the worst to work on but getting parts was the expensive bit. But at the end of the day the Leisiureplex brand did more damage than good over the years to the people who had a dedication to the sport. They were only interested in one thing....money! And who could blame them its a business after all. I found many experienced bowlers moved to Alsaa or Palmerstown where there was more of a personal touch to the business.

Funtasia in Bettystown do very good deals off-peak. Anyone living near by should check it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 1ofmany

Can anyone advise me what will be the price of going bowling in Dublin in the afternoon, well after 6 pm on weekdays (around 10 people for 1 hour) We're beginners so it doesn't have to be the best of places but the one that is reasonably priced. Thanks a mill!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭God Of Radio

Good thread and I agree totally. Its expensive here in the States as well. You get some crappy shoes and a shi**y space to sit in. THEN half way through a good game they turn the lights off and do the glow crap with techno music. I HATE that!

1ofmany wrote: »
    Can anyone advise me what will be the price of going bowling in Dublin in the afternoon, well after 6 pm on weekdays (around 10 people for 1 hour) We're beginners so it doesn't have to be the best of places but the one that is reasonably priced. Thanks a mill!!!

WOW! This got dragged out from the archives. A year and 4 months. Is that a record? :-)

TBH, I haven't a clue what the rates are at the moment. I will say that 10 of you aren't going to have a lot of fun, or even finish a game in an hour unless you break it down into 2 groups of 5. If you do that you could have 2 teams playing a "match". Ask the management can they put you side by side and play "league style" (i.e. all players playing both lanes) Would make for better craic and a slightly quicker game .... I think :confused: Of course it'll cost twice as much. But 10 of you on one lane will be no good, in fact, I just realised (it's been a long time) they won't allow you all on one lane. Guess you're looking at €80+ for the hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Tony_Montana

Go to Wales £8.50 for unlimited bowling can't go wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

imo they should have annual memberships for the dedicated bowlers (eg. €500 p.a. and then €10 per hour)

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Donkathon

Diamond bowl in wicklow town are ginng an hours bowling for €20 or a game for €5

is that all times, or just off peak?

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Donkathon

all the time as far i i know its been €20 for past 2 months ssince i've started going and they have a loyalty card aswell 6 x hour = 1 free hour

will have to check it out, that's even cheaper than the league rate I get in leisureplex

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭population

Bowling is damn expensive these days, but it was always quite dear. Myself and my sister used to be league bowlers in Crumlin Superbowl in the early nineties, and even at league rates it was still pricey.

Cant remember the exact figures but Jesus me poor Dad was gutted I had jacked in football on Saturdays for this! And can you blame him ha ha!!!

population wrote: »
    Bowling is damn expensive these days, but it was always quite dear. Myself and my sister used to be league bowlers in Crumlin Superbowl in the early nineties, and even at league rates it was still pricey.

Cant remember the exact figures but Jesus me poor Dad was gutted I had jacked in football on Saturdays for this! And can you blame him ha ha!!!
    When Crumlin closed were you oone of the crowd that started bowling at XLBowl? There were a load of people from Crumlin who joined our leagues back then :)
    Donkathon wrote: »
    all the time as far i i know its been €20 for past 2 months ssince i've started going and they have a loyalty card aswell 6 x hour = 1 free hour
    That's a good price and a really good idea to have a loyalty card! :) Great thinking by management there!

• Advertisement

I was briefly one of the folk who went to XLBowl. When Crumlin shut we were all actively encouraged to go there. Cant exactly remember why??? I always though Tallaght would have made more sense because of the busses, but the people in XLBowl were all sound to deal with. Also one or two of the old staff in Crumlin went to work there if I remember right.

Signed up for a league there and everything, but at that stage my interest in the game was starting to wane and Palmerston was a nuisance for me to get to so I knocked it on the head.

Sold my gear and bought a guitar and that was that! Must admit though I do miss it sometimes. Went bowling for the first time in at least 12 years on my 30th birthday and had a 165 with a house ball so I was pretty chuffed. My next game was a 90 though but in my rose tinted memory that bit never happened ha ha!!!

Yeah I think Tony from XLBowl and some of the people from Crumlin knew each other well enough and those contacts probably helped. It was good for the Crumlin bowlers to keep together too though.

It was yeah.

There was a good sort of community spirit in the Crumlin bowl and I think alot of people did their best to transfer that over to XL, and fair play to them and to the XL people, but truthfully for me it just didnt feel the same. The Superbowl was a real loss.

population wrote: »
    Myself and my sister used to be league bowlers in Crumlin Superbowl in the early nineties, and even at league rates it was still pricey.

aaaaaaah ........... Crumlin in the early 90's. Those were the days. Back when I could pick up a ball without hurtin' me back. Release with a slide without hurtin' me knee. Put the ball on the lane without a thump. Roll that cobra - stand up - turn around - hand to my ear and and listen ... STRIKE !!!! :D
    Holland said I was showing off. Higgins said I was showing off. Yore Me Ma thought I was great.

*sigh* makes me want to annoy a ball driller somewhere and do it all over again *sigh*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭here.from.day.1

Theres a place in Drogheda we go to.. its NOT funtasia but its not far away from it, they charge €15 an hour. We usually go in 3s so €5 each, its not bad.

Theres a place in Drogheda we go to.. its NOT funtasia but its not far away from it, they charge €15 an hour. We usually go in 3s so €5 each, its not bad.

That's an excellent price! Is that price for under 18's or between certain times on certain days?
    DubTony wrote:
    Roll that cobra...
    Interesting, I had an AMF Cobra too!! I bought it second hand, had it re-drilled for my hand and used it as a spare ball, I was using the Ebonite Turbo (sanded) as my strike ball back then.

r3nu4l wrote: »
    That's an excellent price! Is that price for under 18's or between certain times on certain days?

Its anytime, and we do enjoy a pint (im 22) with our game so thats a no to the under 18 part! Ill find out the name of the place later on if I can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭mac_attack

**HALF PRICE BOWLING 7 DAYS PER WEEK €15 PER LANE PER HOUR***

http://www.droghedaleisure.ie/bowling/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Irishmaster

Leisureplex are doing a special now! Its 5euro per game sun 6pm till thursday 6pm. The last time we went we only paid a 5er for some reason we didnt know. Now we do!

• Advertisement

mac_attack wrote: »
    **HALF PRICE BOWLING 7 DAYS PER WEEK €15 PER LANE PER HOUR***

http://www.droghedaleisure.ie/bowling/

Thats the one, thanks george. They say its a special but its been like that since it opened and its on peak too!

Advertisement