Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Integra Type R Turbo

Options
  • 07-04-2007 2:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 20

A mate of mine is getting a turbo kit for his Type R off the interweb, anyone know somewhere in Munster that will fit this without making a mess of it?

Thinking somewhere like Extreme Autos in Waterford but a bit closer to Cork if possible. They really will have to know their stuff before my mate turns his 'Teg over to them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭projectgtr

hey big kev
    boosting a TEG is not just a matter of dropping in a turbo, you right to get someone who knows their stuff, what turbo did he buy any links? is he running stock internals-exhaust etc?

id really recomend he looks at www.jdmuniverse.com before he does any thing there will be full walkthroughs on there and all the help he will need for getting parts for the upgrade. hope this helps a bit, if done right he ewill have an animal of a car (with the right mods and tuning)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 bigkev49-2

projectgtr wrote:
    hey big kev
    boosting a TEG is not just a matter of dropping in a turbo, you right to get someone who knows their stuff, what turbo did he buy any links? is he running stock internals-exhaust etc?

id really recomend he looks at www.jdmuniverse.com before he does any thing there will be full walkthroughs on there and all the help he will need for getting parts for the upgrade. hope this helps a bit, if done right he ewill have an animal of a car (with the right mods and tuning)

Cheers for reply GTR, yeah she is strndard out of the box internally, no Vtec controllers or anything. Boosting a VTEC seem like putting unnecessary strain on an already savage engine to me but he is adamant he wants to do it.

Ill pass on the link to him and try and find out what turbo he is getting. Another one of the lads is putting a HKS turbo on an RB20 at the moment so he wants to have a go at it but I reckon there will be as much ECu as Mechanical work involved in this project.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Just out of interest does anyone know what a mod like this would do to your insurance premium?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭bjmotors

tuxy wrote:
    Just out of interest does anyone know what a mod like this would do to your insurance premium?

insurance would be crazy on it.

By the way if ya dont find anywhere closer t oyu, there is always the tuning factory in dublin. They are experts on all hondas. would be worth giving them a call even just for some info and advise.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Are you hinting that people who do this normaly do not disclose the mod to their insurance?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Darven

i cant recommend highly enough Devon Cornell in Ballincollig, Body Image is name of place, 021 4810888

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

bigkev49-2 wrote:
    Cheers for reply GTR, yeah she is strndard out of the box internally, no Vtec controllers or anything. Boosting a VTEC seem like putting unnecessary strain on an already savage engine to me but he is adamant he wants to do it.

Ill pass on the link to him and try and find out what turbo he is getting. Another one of the lads is putting a HKS turbo on an RB20 at the moment so he wants to have a go at it but I reckon there will be as much ECu as Mechanical work involved in this project.
    VTEC engines are actually very good engines to turbo as they can comfortably run a low boost turbo on stock internals. Putting one one isn't just a matter of bolting the bits on to the engine, though, you also need to get the engine mapped properly or you're wasting your time and money.

I'm interested in the insurance cost of something like this too, would an insurance company even know what you were talking about?

Double whotsit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭projectgtr

yeah id be with bjmotors on this the only place that would come to mind in ireland would be the tunning factory they seem to really know their hondas.

the b18 would be a good engine to boost it will take the extra pressure but i cant stress it enough it aint just plug and play, but anyways just hit the guys at jdmuniverse.com you will get nothing but helpfull info from guys (and surprisingly alot of girls) that do these kind of instalations in their sleep.

there are a few nissan heads onsite aswell but it is mostly honda so they might be able to help with the RB, and get a hanky ready to wipe up the drowl for some seriously nice cars.

im on there aswell trying to learn all i can about engine builds so if you see me on there give us a shout

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

I dont think TF would touch that job,i also reckon your gonna find it hard to find any decent tuner to take it on.Vtecs run a very high compression as opposed to turbos running alot lower,but it doesnt mean it cant be done.

TF built a turbo eg civic before but im not sure if its still running.Ive seen a few turbo civics over the irish sites and had a test drive of a turbo ctr from an importer last year,aparently on stock internals running 250bhp boosting at .6bar = How true it was i dont know but it was bloody quick with no traction whatsoever!

Actually i just remembered,ive heard of a place called monkey motorsport in cork,aparently the guy is a wizard and has turbo#d hondas before.Ill try find you a number or location for them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 bigkev49-2

Cheers lads for all the advice and contacts. It's all being passed onto my mate. Keep it coming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Rebel Racer Dan

Darven wrote:
    i cant recommend highly enough Devon Cornell in Ballincollig, Body Image is name of place, 021 4810888

Am i right in saying Body Image dont do engine work, only bosy work??!!

As for putting a turbo kit into an ITR........ what the hell is he thinking??!! VTEC not good enough for him??!! Crazy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

eireal wrote:
    I dont think TF would touch that job,i also reckon your gonna find it hard to find any decent tuner to take it on.Vtecs run a very high compression as opposed to turbos running alot lower,but it doesnt mean it cant be done.

TF built a turbo eg civic before but im not sure if its still running.Ive seen a few turbo civics over the irish sites and had a test drive of a turbo ctr from an importer last year,aparently on stock internals running 250bhp boosting at .6bar = How true it was i dont know but it was bloody quick with no traction whatsoever!

Actually i just remembered,ive heard of a place called monkey motorsport in cork,aparently the guy is a wizard and has turbo#d hondas before.Ill try find you a number or location for them

I don't think they'd go down there either but I will ask Mr.Mo. They sold the T Civic off to someone a while back, AFAIK it's working fine to this day.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I wouldn't turbo a Vtec at all TBH!!! YOu get a kick in at 5800RPM and that is when the turbo will kick in aswell so basically your making the VTEC null and void!! If I had the funds to do it I would supercharge it over turbo any day of the week as you will have the power throughout the entire range and still get that VTEC kick!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,229 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

As for putting a turbo kit into an ITR........ what the hell is he thinking??!! VTEC not good enough for him??!! Crazy

Anything to be different I suppose!! he is too lazy to go down the RWD route, which is where I'll be going as soon as I can afford it, it must be the thought all that changing tyres in the dark craic thats putting him off :D !!

I think its kind of a mad project myself but in a good way!
    johnny24ie wrote:

I would supercharge it over turbo any day

Has been suggested many a time but this is what he wants to do, his car, his money.

Anything to be different I suppose!! he is too lazy to go down the RWD route, which is where I'll be going as soon as I can afford it, it must be the thought all that changing tyres in the dark craic thats putting him off :D !!

I think its kind of a mad project myself but in a good way!
    johnny24ie wrote:

I would supercharge it over turbo any day

Has been suggested many a time but this is what he wants to do, his car, his money.

Got a reply from them ::
    TF wrote:
    TF will install the Turbo charger alright, as long as its a quality kit, but there is far more to it than just whacking on a turbo. You need to sort out the fueling or it will explode in no time and the cooling (by means of an intercooler etc, which usually means cutting the bumper). Std internals will take small amounts of boost alright, but the extra torque can cause the clutch to slip and traction issues will appear.

He would be far better off working on other areas of the car like the gearbox, brakes, suspension etc. Turbocharging is a costly venture with lots of pitfalls and heartbreak.

Thats above and beyond layke, cheers. It's all getting passed down the line. Might be an easier option to just buy a 2.2 VTi Prelude.

jonny24ie wrote:
    I wouldn't turbo a Vtec at all TBH!!! YOu get a kick in at 5800RPM and that is when the turbo will kick in aswell so basically your making the VTEC null and void!! If I had the funds to do it I would supercharge it over turbo any day of the week as you will have the power throughout the entire range and still get that VTEC kick!!
    Depends on how you map the turbo, though. It can be mapped to spread the power more evenly over the rev range (that's assuming you aren't trying for a maximum top-end figure).

bigkev49 wrote:
    Thats above and beyond layke, cheers. It's all getting passed down the line. Might be an easier option to just buy a 2.2 VTi Prelude.

Well it depends a Prelude handles totally different they can't be thrown around like a teggy can (they make crap track cars). Too add there is fair but more weight in them.

A 2.2 Type S puts out 235bhp afaik which you can get out of a 1.8 Integra if you want to spend the cash on tuning.

• Advertisement
Advertisement