Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Metallica start recording new album

• 07-04-2007 5:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭

Yes indeedy, on the 12th of March Metallica started work with Rick Rubin on their new opus....the following article sounds promising! Lets hope its not more Lars babble, cos he talked up St. Anger too! ;)

http://www.allmetallica.com/news.php?id=385

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭Dark Artist

Holy crap they only just started recording NOW?? I'm dying over here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Moojuice

yay, more derivitive ****e. Another lame attempt at reinventing themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Holy crap they only just started recording NOW?? I'm dying over here!

Lol. So if they only started recording now, what exactly were they escaping from in the "Escape from the studio" tour last year.:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Moojuice wrote:

i'm by no means a metallica supporter here but i'm at least going to give the new material the benefit of a listen before giving such a definitive review...
    Lol. So if they only started recording now, what exactly were they escaping from in the "Escape from the studio" tour last year.:confused:

they were writing in the studio...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

Moojuice wrote:
    :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

Moojuice wrote:

I agree with phantom lord. Im going to at least give it a chance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

I'm going to give it a chance, but I still think it's going to be ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Moojuice

Nothing good since the black album. Just a bunch of millonaires with nothing better to do with their time.

Moojuice wrote:
    Nothing good since the black album. Just a bunch of millonaires with nothing better to do with their time.

Living the dream

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Its gonna take a HUGE improvement over St. Anger to get me to fork over my €20

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Listened to some Metallica the other night, the last 3 albums are really quite atrocious, give or take the odd song. Really have lost any interest in the U2 of metal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

*listens to some pantera*

metallica ftl

There's some great material on St. Anger like 'Sweet Amber', 'Dirty Window' and 'Invisible Kid'. Love those songs, especially SA, it's one of my fav of Metallica's.

I'm generally a fan of their newer stuff... some of the mindless thrashing in the MOP album goes right over my head (altho the MOP song itself is amazing).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

mindless thrashing
    Stop right there. Wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

St. Anger was possibly one of the most boring and pointless metal albums I have ever heard and hence its hard to care about them releasing new material, Rick Rubin association or not.They have been creatively dead to me post ...And Justice For All.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

There's some great material on St. Anger like 'Sweet Amber', 'Dirty Window' and 'Invisible Kid'. Love those songs, especially SA, it's one of my fav of Metallica's.

I'm generally a fan of their newer stuff... some of the mindless thrashing in the MOP album goes right over my head (altho the MOP song itself is amazing).

Man... That's just heinous... Metallica were a thrash band. Now they are not, but mindless thrashing is a horrible thing to say about one of the best chunks of metal of the last... ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Funnily enough, when I listen to St.Anger [the song], I hear elements in that that are straight out of kill 'em all - the chorus for example is classic kill 'em all. Maybe not in production sound but in temperament and what it's trying to do.

Much of the rest of the album is a non-entity to me. And I consider myself a Metallica fan. They can do better. Sorry.

That said, I wont give some lame ass "f00kin'" sell out this or that or "reinvention" sh*t, because every. single. album. has had a different sound. Even Reload, whose only real sin was being associated with Load.

As Doctor J said, stop right there my boy. You might want to duck, cover, find a nuclear shelter, wear body armour, etc. People have been linched for much, much less ;)

MOP is, in my opinion, the band's finest album. Every song is consistently strong. Every song sounds like production was fairly spot on too, unlike And Justice for All..., for example. And some of it is just savage in the middle of the mosh pit. Damage Inc. anyone? Battery? Counting bruises afterwards I was :D

Add in the classical music-esque piece of genius that is Orion and it's a very diverse album.

When I referred to SA as my favourite song on St. Anger, I was actually referring to Sweet Amber. The song St. Anger doesn't do much for me either.

I apologise for the mindless thrashing comment. I should really try to appreciate the album before saying things like that, but I have heard it a few times already and the only songs that stand out for me are Battery, MOP and DH.

Orion is all right but it's nothing special compared to Ktulu IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

What about Sanitarium, The Thing..,classics all
    Man everyone is entitled to be an opinion i guess no matter how wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

buck65 wrote:
    What about Sanitarium, The Thing..,classics all
    Man everyone is entitled to be an opinion i guess no matter how wrong

Yeah Sanitarium was a personal fave along with Orion.Both MOP and RTL were practically flawless, nearly makes me cry just thinking about those albums next to the friggin' apalling Load...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Kill 'Em All, Master Of Puppets and The Black Album are my three favourite Metallica albums, all very different but all brilliant. Four Horsemen, Sanitarium and Nothing Else Matters are my three favourite song. Ride The Lightning and And Justice For All are inconsistent but have their fair share of classics nonetheless. Never got into any of their last three last three albums. I certainly don't think they sold out or anything, St. Anger is about as uncommercial as it gets, I just they they've run out of ideas creatively. And lyrically St. Anger was horrible! Ultimately, they've earned the right to do whatever the hell they want with their careers and make whatever music they like. I genuinely do believe that they did believe St. Anger was good and that's all that matters for them. That willingless to do whatever the hell they want was what made Metallica what they were in the first place. To dismiss it as selling out is just stupid.

Incidentally it annoys me to see the Black Album thrown in with the Load Albums in terms of different Metallica eras. I can understand if you like Metal and that's it, but for someone who appreciates different styles of music, Black Album rocked and although its not Thrash Metal, its still a great Hard Rock album. Enter Sandman, Nothing Else Matters, Unforgiven (one of my favourite Hammett solos) are three of their best songs.

As for the new album, don't think anyone knows what to really expect. It'll be interesting!

st. Anger was terrible. drums sounded crap and not a guitar solo to be seen. im a metallica fan but that was a sad attempt of an album. cant beleive it took 3-4 years to make

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I noticed there doesn't seem to be a lot of love for S&M. I thought that was a great album (yeah I know it isn't technically a true album), basically lots of my favorite songs reworked with a symphony orchestra. I thought it was a great concept well executed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

s&m was great.. but blind guardian is still pulled off the orchestra far better than any other band

nightfall in middle earth = awesome

-edit

this thread has prompted me to find binge and purge and give it a listen... it's been quite a while since I've listened to any metallica

I like what I hear.

WHIPLASH!

now all I need to find is a few clips from that russian show.. best version of harvester of sorrow ever

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,198 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I recall seeing Metallica in the Top Hat in 1988. It was an excellent gig with Danzig supporting. The music on the night was amazing. One of the best gigs I was ever at!
    I saw them in the point also and that was alright.
    Compare that to them in the RDS (with linkin park and the darkness?). It was one of the least enjoyable gigs I was ever at! I found JH to be almost patronising. The new Metallica sound is crap - too tinny.
    I'll be in no huge rush to go out and buy the new album when it arrives in a few years!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

When I referred to SA as my favourite song on St. Anger, I was actually referring to Sweet Amber. The song St. Anger doesn't do much for me either.

I apologise for the mindless thrashing comment. I should really try to appreciate the album before saying things like that, but I have heard it a few times already and the only songs that stand out for me are Battery, MOP and DH.

Orion is all right but it's nothing special compared to Ktulu IMO.

Sweet Amber was good yeah, I like the Unammed Feeling too, and All Within My Hands. But Invisible Kid....that was cringe worthy to me.

Just like I said in the Manson thread, I prefer it when a band tries new things and don't try to make carbon copies of other albums.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

If you watch the some kind of monster movie and then listen to the st. anger album its easier to understand the album. Theres only really 3 ok to good songs on it though, frantic, st. anger and All within my hands.

I would be more optimistic about metallica´s next album than i have been since load because they have closed a freaky chapter in their history. The napster shoite is over, hetfield is recovered from rehab and they have a new approach to making albums.

It would be impossible for them to have made 8 albums of MOP in a row, how many thrash acts nowadays achieved what metallica did? Sure slayer are still around and never changed but they havent topped Reign in Blood. Plus they havent enjoyed the success of metallica.

St anger was a new sound and they plus bob rock have admitted their experiment didnt work. Even lars admits the drums sound crap.

metallica are the band that people like to poke fun at cos they are an easy target nowdays, but despite the last 3 albums gathering dust on most people´s cd rack (if you bothered with them at all!), they can still put on fantastic live shows.

oh and on the topic of the production values on their albums, kill em all was cheaply done, ride the lightening was so so, and we all know what happened on And Justice for all. The black album was over produced. IMO their best produced albums was Garage Days Re-Revisited with MOP in a close second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Yea i agree big time on production values, after listening back to em the last day for the first time in ages i must say master of puppets is the best produced album, never got garage days though.

I can say that st anger had no real GREAT songs but the ones that were listenable were the unnamed feeling and sweet amber, unfortunatly there the 2 songs on my cd which dont work anymore so its been snapped long ago.

Also what the hell were they thinking lyricly on that album......invisible kid = ****EEEEEE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

whats the chances of them making a proper trash metal album, they have being going down hill since the black album

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

We wont get another thrash album, metallica have always been progressive and never set out to make a particular type of metal only. (remember the controversy fade to black caused on RTL?) Cliff burton´s response was that they made music that they wanted to.

Advertisement