Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eckhart Tolle - THE POWER OF NOW

• 07-04-2007 9:41am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Has anyone read 'Eckhart Tolle - THE POWER OF NOW' or been to any of his seminars? I bought it a few months ago but haven't read it yet. I'm a bit of a book hoarder and get around to them in time or when the time is right for that book.

Reason is ask is that he has a seminar on in Dublin in Septebmer.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭massplanck

The book is excellent.

I think you should just read it and forget about seminars etc for a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

massplanck wrote:
    The book is excellent.

I think you should just read it and forget about seminars etc for a bit.

Thanks for the feedback on the book.

Any specific reason for missing the seminars for a bit?

siochain wrote:
    Thanks for the feedback on the book.

Any specific reason for missing the seminars for a bit?

OK. I'm just having difficulty understanding your reasoningss for posting about a book called 'the power of now' when you write stuff like "I'm a bit of a book hoarder and get around to them in time or when the time is right for that book."
    Are you interested in the concept or not? or just into killing time on forums talking about it? 'Now' is probably the best time to to read a
    book called 'the power of now'. Why hang around untill September?

Surely you understand me when i tell you to forget about the seminars for now and just read the book?

READ IT.:)

massplanck wrote:
    OK. I'm just having difficulty understanding your reasoningss for posting about a book called 'the power of now' when you write stuff like "I'm a bit of a book hoarder and get around to them in time or when the time is right for that book."
    Are you interested in the concept or not? or just into killing time on forums talking about it? 'Now' is probably the best time to to read a
    book called 'the power of now'. Why hang around untill September?

Surely you understand me when i tell you to forget about the seminars for now and just read the book?

READ IT.:)

Yes I purchase and read a lot of books mostly on different religions, spiritual beliefs\practices, healing, health and philosophy. When I purchase a few books I don't necessarily read them in order of purchase. When I finish a book and I review whats unread I'll follow my intuition and decide what book to read. This has worked very well for me in that I usually find there was an important lesson or I discovered something new that was valuable for me to know right at that time.

Maybe when i read the Power of Now I'll change my outlook and if so the time was right for me to change.

And to answer your questions - Yes if the book relates to living in the moment I'm interested in the concept. And No I certainly don't belive time is to be killed its to be lived and celebrated.

Synchronicity my friend,

Peace

siochain wrote:
    Yes I purchase and read a lot of books mostly on different religions, spiritual beliefs\practices, healing, health and philosophy. . And No I certainly don't belive time is to be killed its to be lived and celebrated.

Synchronicity my friend,

Peace

Ah apologies.

You seem to be on the right track already! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Timara

I was interested to see Siochain's enquiry. Because I recently started reading the book and am fascinated. But I feel the need to talk to others about it and and it is not the kind of book all my friends may be reading. So, I think the question about a seminar is sensible - at seminars you learn as much from other participants as from the facilitators

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 130 ✭✭Armada

Hi, my girlfriend Emma and I have just finished reading A New Earth actually and I have to say it was amazing. It really challenges your perception of who you are and helped a great deal with connecting with my true self.

Each chapter has the power to change your day to day life, sometimes in subtle ways, such as how you react to an event, challenge, emotion or anything else you perceive in your world.

For me, it was the next step in my journey, something I was supposed to read and am very happy I did so.

I would, however, comment that it is by no means a book you can read as an introduction to spirituality and alternative ideas, it requires a very open mind, but once you get a couple of chapters in you will begin to see that the book makes an awful lot of sense.

hope that helps a bit anyway...

PS, siochain I understand what you are saying about reading when the time is right, the right book at the wrong time can sometimes mean you do not get what you would if you had waited till the time is right.

If you are being drawn to the book, people are mentioning it to you or you see it int the media or a bookstore then I would say it is probably time to begin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭poster

I did a 12 week course on the power of now it was amazing our tracher was brilliant. I know she is running courses soon and has a seminar coming up. I found it good to talk with other people and take the journey together while doing the course

yeah A New Earth is an excellent read, the minute I bought it I knew to read it right away, but the poser of now is still waiting to be started.

There are some very good Tolle New Earth web casts available on Itunes podcasts.

Good luck

Timara wrote: »
    I was interested to see Siochain's enquiry. Because I recently started reading the book and am fascinated. But I feel the need to talk to others about it and and it is not the kind of book all my friends may be reading. So, I think the question about a seminar is sensible - at seminars you learn as much from other participants as from the facilitators

Hi Timara,
    I know what you mean, its difficult to find someone to dicuss these type of books\topics. Have you tried a 'New Earth' yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Dagon

A friend of mine recommended "The power of now" but I still have to get around to reading it. Sounds very good, and seems to really help people who have read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Dwn Wth Vwls

I really liked A New Earth, is there anything to be gotten out of going back and reading The Power of Now? Someone who read both told me that A New Earth was basically an updated improved version of The Power of Now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 hazel_eyes_2008

Hi,

question for poster user. Where did you do the course? Do you have a contact number for the course administrator? I read the book a few years ago and would be reall interested in doing a course on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 151 ✭✭oil painting

Hi all,i came across eckhart tolle and especially his book 'a new earth' this year,i absolutlely loved it,and my perception of life has changed so much.

I came across it on oprah.com because she did a 12 week webinar with him going through each chapter,Oprah said that in all the people she had ever ever met-and who hasnt she met... Eckhart Tolle was the most effective she had ever witnessed,she said he would just sit in his chair in the moment and his presence was really amazing to be around.

i am a more visual person myself and i responded to this webcast with a great understanding of the conversation at hand,it is still available to watch and i have also watched her soul series she did after eckhart which is very inspiring also...heres the link if anyones interested.

http://www.oprah.com/package/spirit/inspiration/pkganewearthwebcast/20080130_obc_webcast_anewearth

Of all the speakers I've seen, Tolle is certainly one of the best. He knows how to explain the magical ingredients that will lead you to a happy and positive life.

What he's teaching is basically another version of Goenka's Vipassana meditation, and a little bit of J.Krishnamurti... but Tolle is really bringing it to the masses which can't be a bad thing!! His technique is inspirational and I can feel his compassion flowing just watching the videos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

OK, i started his audio book "the power of now" which seems like 1 hour ago but was actually friday. I have never felt such a sense of self and space and distance from my mind and it's thoughts. I would highly recommend it. Just come with an "open mind" <--- funny how that concept will also change after reading him!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Rambo83

This book had a hugely positive impact on me. It added a spirtual dimension to my life that was never their before. I read it now as people would with a Bible. His message is so simple but Powerful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Eckhart Tolle has had a massive impact on me. I read the power of now and loved it, however 'A New Earth' has had a profound effect on me. It has taught me skills that help me everyday when stuff gets on top of me or if I feel overwhelmed. I just concentrate on the present moment and that centers me and brings me back to base, so to speak. I dip into the book every night before I go to sleep. I find I can start on any page and still feel enormous benefit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭roosh

I really liked A New Earth, is there anything to be gotten out of going back and reading The Power of Now? Someone who read both told me that A New Earth was basically an updated improved version of The Power of Now.

I read them in the reverse order (PON first and NE second) and found NE to be very insightful; not as insightful as PON mind, but that was probably due to the fact that I had read PON first.

Either way, there are real differences in both, and personally I would recommend reading both.

the next book I read after that was "the Tibetan book of Living & Dying" by Sogyal Rinpoche. Another mind-opning read, regardless of the controversy surrounnding the author.

• Advertisement
Advertisement