Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Things required to pass test

Options
  • 07-04-2007 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭

Does anybody have a list of things that you are required to be able to do before you pass the test. e.g 3 point turn, reverse around a corner etc. It would be very helpful to everyone thinking of doing there test.

Also, for the rules of the road section would the same knowledge for the theory test be sufficient ?

Thanks,
    Duckmusic

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭fasty

You will be tested on a hill start, turnabout and reversing around a corner but that's a pretty small part of the test. You will also be expected to drive around safely in traffic.

Things to watch out for are coasting, road positioning, making progress and observation. It's so easy to fail on those things even if you consider yourself a good driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭andrew_ireland

Hope some of this helps!

1/ Get there good and early and reverse into your parking spot at the test centre so you can just drive straight out.

2/ Be familiar with what's under the bonnet i.e Oil filler cap, dipstick, window washer filler, radiator cap ofr coolant, resevoir bottle. A good tip I tried was to get the Haynes manual for the car you plan to do your test in and familiarize yourself with the regular service procedures.

3/ Be familiar with the in-car controls i.e foglamp, front and rear demisters, wipers, diplights, hazard lights etc

4/ Know your road-signs, rules of road, lane changing and roundabout entry procedures etc. The tester will ask you a selction of questions on these before you go for the drive.

5/ You'll then be asked, out at the car, about what's under the bonnet and how to control the various features inside the car.

6/ VERY IMPORTANT! Make sure that all bulbs, brakes, handbrakes, wipers are all in good working order and that the car is in 100% roadworthy condition.

7/ Drive normally, the tester is not your enemy so don't give him any reason to act like an enemy! (BTW I'm not a tester :D )

8/ You'll be asked to do a Hill Start, Three point turn, reverse around a corner. Beware when moving off from the side of the road after the 3 point turn and the reverse around corner- it's very important that you indicate right to show other cars that you're about to move off. A 3 point turn doesn't have to be done in 3 points once you don't take the p1ss and show incompetance. For gods sake don't let the car roll back in any situation!

9/ Try not to over-hesitate in any case i.e left or right turns.

10/ Avoid waving to other motorists (I know this is a grey area so just don't do it) or forfeiting right-of-way.

11/ If the tester tells you to take for example a right turn at a T-Junction and you indicate left by mistake- then turn left, you can get a fault for giving misleading signals.

Be confident but not cocky and show that YOU own and control the car. A good tip also is to get maybe 2 pre-test lessons from the ISM as I found these invaluable in tying up some loose ends.

Don't smoke in the car for a few days before the test, some testers have been known to be precious about their lungs god love them!

I usually drive with mild sunglasses on to reduce glare but chose to not wear them on the day of the test so the examiner could see I was using the mirrors appropriately.

That's all I can think of at the moment and if I think of any more I'll post them up. Hope it was of some use to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

PART 1

(i) Starting and stopping the engine.
    (ii) Moving off, (straight ahead and at an angle) on uphill and downhill slopes.
    (iii) Meeting, moving with and overtaking other traffic.
    (iv) Taking left and right hand turnings and crossing intersections.
    (v) Stopping the vehicle at various speeds including an emergency stop.
    (vi) Parking the vehicle (other than a motorcycle) on uphill and downhill slopes, and oblique parking.
    (vii) Causing the vehicle to face in the opposite direction using the steering, gears and brakes.
    (viii) Reversing a vehicle (other than a motorcycle) in a straight line and around corners.
    (ix) Giving signals by hand or by the use of direction indicators, of intended actions.
    (x) Complying with signals for the control of traffic and taking appropriate action on meeting traffic signs and other authorised signs.
    (xi) In the case of a motorcycle, driving the vehicle at slow speed.

PART 2

1. Preparation of the vehicle.

Drivers must be capable of:—

(i) adjusting the seat as necessary to obtain a correct seated position (except for category A1, A and M);
    (ii) checking that the doors are closed, where fitted;
    (iii) adjusting rear view mirrors, where fitted;
    (iv) adjusting seat belts, where fitted.

2. Drivers must demonstrate that they are capable of using the vehicle controls by satisfactorily performing the following manoeuvres:—

(i) starting the engine and moving off smoothly both on the flat and on an uphill slope;
    (ii) accelerating to a suitable speed while maintaining a straight course, including during gear changes;
    (iii) adjusting speed to negotiate left or right turns at junctions while maintaining control of the vehicle;
    (iv) reversing in a straight line and reversing right or left round a corner while keeping within the correct traffic lane (except for category A1, A and M);
    (v) turning the vehicle to face in the opposite direction using forward and reverse gears (category B only);
    (vi) braking accurately to a stop;
    (vii) parking the vehicle and leaving a parking space.

Drivers must be able to use the secondary controls of the vehicle:—

windscreen wipers, windscreen washers, demister, air-conditioning (where fitted) and lights (except for category A1, A and M).

3. (a) Drivers must be able to perform all the usual manoeuvres in complete safety in normal traffic situations, taking all the necessary precautions:—
    (i) observing (including the use of rear-view mirrors) road alignment, markings, signs and potential or actual risks;
    (ii) communicating with other road users using all authorised means;
    (iii) reacting appropriately in actual risk situations should circumstances demand;
    (iv) complying with road traffic regulations and the instructions of the Garda Síochána, wardens etc.;
    (v) showing due respect for other road users.
    (b) Drivers must also have the skills needed, in traffic situations, to safely:—
    (i) move off from the kerb and/or a parking space;
    (ii) drive with the vehicle correctly positioned on the road, adjusting speed to traffic conditions and the line of the road;
    (iii) keep the right distance between vehicles;
    (iv) change lanes;
    (v) pass parked or stationary vehicles and obstacles;
    (vi) approach and cross junctions;
    (vii) turn right and left at junctions or to leave the carriageway;
    (viii) take the necessary precautions when alighting from the vehicle;
    and, if the opportunity is given—
    (ix) pass oncoming vehicles, including in confined spaces, and overtake other traffic

Advertisement