Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit card refund question.

Options
  • 07-04-2007 11:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭

I'm not sure if this is the right forum ,but I will ask anyway:o

Brought an item back this morning ,to an electrical retailer.
    They took my card and brought it into their office and came back out ten minutes later with my card and a printed sticker ,with refund request printed on it.

I'm wondering why they didn't give me a proper visa refund receipt :o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

They should have gven you a refund receipt, as to process a refund they would have to use the credit card machine/till. The refund will usually take 48 hours to process, if it isn't back in your account by at least Tuesday go back to the store.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

thanks nightwish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

You should have insisted they don't bring YOUR credit card into the back office for 10 mins! That's a complete waste of your time.

Ring your credit card company to confim a refund is in progress, once it's been done they can see it instantly even if it doesn't show in your online banking or credit to your account for a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Ask the shop. Why did you bring the item back?
    Maybe they need to test it before giving a refund?

I returned the item because when I brought it home ,I discovered it was not the unit I was looking for.
    The unit was not on display in the shop ,so the first time I got a look at it was when I got home.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

ciaranfo wrote:
    You should have insisted they don't bring YOUR credit card into the back office for 10 mins! That's a complete waste of your time.
    It is also a security risk. You really shouldn't let your card out of your sight at any time. Letting it go out of your sight gives them time to clone or copy the card.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Do you need a pin for a refund as well as a purchase?

I work in retail and people are asked for it, yes. But like everything this can be bypassed - I doubt there's any risk in someone arguing with the bank that they don't want a refund! :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

firstly, your credit card company wont cover any fraudulent transactions as a result of this event as you let the card out of your site. This is in every credit card issuers T&C's. They shouldnt have taken your card away and you shouldnt have let them.

Its unusual that they didnt give you a refund receipt, but it depends how the refund was processed. If was done on a terminal, then yes they should have given you a receipt.

However if they use an interface with their credit card clearing house, then they can do refunds via a (secure hopefully) website. In that instance there wont be a till receipt. Either way as long as they gave you something to indicate they have refunded your credit card, with the transaction details and the company details on it, then you have back up.

Should i cancel my card and get a new one because of this ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Not unless dodgy charges start appearing. What store was it, someone may work/know the refund policy of the shop.

Still haven't recieved a refund ,I returned the item last saturday.
    Refunds always come back to my account in a couple of days though:mad:

Feeling abused to be honest.

_Brian_ wrote:
    Still haven't recieved a refund ,I returned the item last saturday.
    Refunds always come back to my account in a couple of days though:mad:

Feeling abused to be honest.
    Ring your card company and confirm that the refund is in progress on the system. If it isn't, get back into the shop pronto.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

From the description you gave I'm pretty sure which retailer you are talking about. Refunds with them can take up to 10 days. Their credit card systems are fully integrated with the retail system which is why you did not get a Visa receipt off them, but a print out. Also, the way their card systems are set up, transaction can usually take some time, in some cases up to 10 days. This is not just for refunds, but also for transactions out of your account - you may notice if you buy anything off them through a credit or laser card, that it can take a few days for the charges to hit your account. However, you shouldn't have let your card go out of sight, this shouldn't be necessary for the refund to go through, although there should be minimal risk as everything is chip and pin there (if you still own a traditional TSB laser card, for example, this causes enormous problems when you want to use it to buy something there). So, without a valid PIN, nothing can be done that you'd be held liable for. I'd give it another day or two, if nothing has happened then, by all means go back to them!

Thanks for the replies ,I finally got talking to a girl from the cc company ,who deals with this type of stuff.
    She said 30 Days must be allowed ,before they can intervene. Sounded like the retailers are entitled to 30 Days grace ,from the day of the goods returning. BUT you must recieve some proof of return ,with part of your cc number on it and the total amount.Otherwise they can do nothing.

I do be very busy during the day ,so I find it hard to hang around on the phone.thanks again for the help:)

Cheers,
    Brian.

Advertisement