Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is an A1 in Honours Irish Impossible to achieve in the Leaving?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭genericgoon

we did no oral work barely. Our teacher translated all the stuff into english which may sound bad but at least when im looking over the stories I can actually understand them at a glance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 eily

can i just say that on an irish oral course i did we got cd's of A-standard answers and its very manageable. the basics done well will get ya there. similarly, some candidates got like B2s and they were so off. im talking like 'cad a dheanfaidh tu san ollscoil' and them replying 'tagaim ar scoil ar an mbus'! how reassuring! (and yet very worrying!)

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Mackleton

Ya our teacher played us an A1 and a B standard oral, the A girl sounded like a robot to my ears, all nonstop in a monotone, good vocab and nearly perfect grammer, but our teacher who also does orals said that what gave her the A was that she had good control of the language and was able to deal with any question and didnt panic. The B grade made a cardinal mistake of saying "Bhi me an-athas nuair a bhi......." Clearly a glaring mistake but he had the vocab for aiseanna scoile, subjects etc. so he got his B. I'd say it definately isnt as gruelling as we are all imagining. Also the A grader had her nathanna cainte, gan abhras, cinnte, ar chor ar bith, na gnathrudai.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Unfortunately for those of us who do not speak Irish fluently, A1s will be extremely hard for us to achieve. The standard for A1s is set by those who do speak the language fluently which immediately puts those living outside of Gaeltacht areas at a disadvantage because in order to achieve that A, we will have to be able to speak at the same level of fluency of those inside those areas which is not possible given the limited time and resources available to us.

Maybe if the oral was marked differently for those living outside the Gaeltacht regions/those not attending Gaeltacht schools then we would see more people getting these A1s but even in typing this, I realise that this an unrealistic option which would do nothing but undermine the integrity of the Leaving Certificate.

So by discriminating against the majority of the school leaver population.
    By giving Gaeltacht residents an advantage over everybody else, not including the extra "bonus marks" for answering through Irish is justifiable?.
    This whole Irish scene stinks of favoratism if you ask me:mad:.

Have to say I agree with Naikon to a degree. For instance 10% of all primary school teacher places in college are reserved for people from the gaeltacht. Tbh when you only need a HC3 in Irish to do it the level of fluency is hardly an issue, so why then do they have the added advantage?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

Mackleton wrote:
    Have to say I agree with Naikon to a degree. For instance 10% of all primary school teacher places in college are reserved for people from the gaeltacht. Tbh when you only need a HC3 in Irish to do it the level of fluency is hardly an issue, so why then do they have the added advantage?
    It's to supply teachers for Gaeilscoileanna, where all subjects are taught through Irish, bot just Irish itself.

Thats true but you can also find some exceptional Irish speakers in non-gaeltacht areas who are sometimes just as good. A friend of mine is what you might call exceptional and she lives in a non-gaeltacht area and none of her family speaks Irish, she is just extremely talented.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Naikon wrote:
    So by discriminating against the majority of the school leaver population.
    By giving Gaeltacht residents an advantage over everybody else, not including the extra "bonus marks" for answering through Irish is justifiable?.
    This whole Irish scene stinks of favoratism if you ask me:mad:.
    Like it or not, since the establishment of the free state it has been a goal of the Irish government to promote a bilingual society. Enthusiasm for Irish is actually at one of its highest levels in recent times. Speaking Irish just happens to give you an advantage in many situations these days, and tbh, it's a better excuse to award privilage than having money. As far as I'm concerned they can get rid of the Irish bonus when they disallow private schools.

And it is a bit more work for us doing the LC through Irish anyway, we have to learn all the terminology for Chemistry, Physics, history etc. in Irish.

Advertisement