Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nokia n80 - still worth it?

• 07-04-2007 12:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 302 ✭✭

Well, i've been eying the n80 for a while now but it was always to dear, but this latest edition of the carphone warehouse catalouge sees it go down from €600 to €300. So its now in my budget (still in the upper part though).

so is it worth it? as i understand the main cons are; thickness: over an inch!
    battery - 192h standby and 3h talktime. about 1.5 years old.
    are they're any other downsides? (I'm sure they're are!)

and can you make VOip calls over the wifi and if so how do you go about it?
    is there any limitations with the wifi?

and lastly whats the memory limit for mini sd cards?

so what do you think? anyone got this phone or like to comment?

please do so

by!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

in a word NO, its old, outdated, bulky and you would be crazy to pay 300e for it tbh.
    a n73 like i got is a better buy or hang on for a n95......:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 302 ✭✭maxitwist

ya but n73 ain't got wifi and n95 is gonna be close to a grand :eek:
    i dont see any phones out there now for 300 with wifi and a 3 mp camera

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭damo86

legs11 wrote:
    in a word NO, its old, outdated, bulky and you would be crazy to pay 300e for it tbh.
    whats so outdated about?yes it bulky cos its a slider smartphone and its hasa way better res screen than the n73,352 x 416 pixels compared to n73's 240 x 320 and wifi is a big plus,i think the n73 feels cheaper than n80.
    im looking for n80 too at the mo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭foobar

legs11 wrote:

I always thought the N80 was a class act and looks a lot better than the N73 in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

N80 may be a bit thicker than fashionable right now but it's still very pocketable.

Battery life a direct function of how much you use the phone and what for - with a great set of specs it's easy to use it a lot.

VOIP calling works fine but you can expect some firewall/NAT issues - I've found Fring works pretty well for this function with Internetcalls.com as my sip provider.

Haven't been able to use it with Eircom hotspots for some reason - haven't done much investigation yet as to why but I'll get to it.

With a 2GB mini sd card I think it's a phone hard to beat (ok, I know, the N95) but with apps out there like DIVX for mobiles allowing me take my movies with me on the go (you can get at least 5 on a 2gb card), podcaster and a neat little browser I think it's still a wonderful phone.

Now if only we had a telco here that would let me use it to it's full potential....

• Advertisement

ok thanks for the replys. does anyone know if there are any limits with the wifi?

and should i get it, €300 3pay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭nick23

maxitwist wrote:
    ok thanks for the replys. does anyone know if there are any limits with the wifi?

and should i get it, €300 3pay

I wouldnt go three. Ive had countless problems with them and its the same story with my gf. Their customer service is terrible and i would just generally reccommend against them.... but its up to you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭gibson

Is this phone available on any other network apart form 3 or how much would it be to buy it sim free?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 67 ✭✭paulshir

maxitwist wrote:

Only bad thing about WiFi is the range isn't as good as laptops but it isn't terrible. Access points are easy to set up and there are no problems with proxy's or staitc IPs etc so you can do just about anything.

The browser doesn't have flash lite 2 support so you can't watch youtube videos but there are alternatives such as vixy.net and tinytube.net

gibson wrote:
    Is this phone available on any other network apart form 3 or how much would it be to buy it sim free?

not in carphone warehouse or vodafone, o2 or meteor shops where i am anyway.
    its €400 sim free on expansys

• Advertisement

ok so, i saw it in carphonewarehouse today, not as thick as the demo vids made it look. Anyone have anything left to say still worth it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

maxitwist wrote:
    about 1.5 years old.

Pushing the boat out a little that. I got mine when it hit the €500 level on ebay last August. It was out a few weeks beforehand. It is still one of the most powerful and best featured handsets you can get.

As for recommending the phone, you cannot really go wrong. The only downside for me is the battery life but it is still within acceptable limits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

I own a Nokia N80 and I think the only really advantage over, say, the Nokia N73 is the Wifi - but if you think you're going to make use of it (web browsing, VoIP, etc) then it's a great phone, still :)

If you do get it, I would recommend changing the product code and updating to the latest N80ie (Internet Edition) firmware.

- Neil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I didn't like it at all. I used it for about and month and then went back to my Sony Ericsson. It's been sitting on my shelf depreciating in value ever since...

How much do they go for second hand these days?

How much do they go for second hand these days?

I would think around 200+ euro if it's in good condition, and I'd assume a little more if you have a higher capacity miniSD card.

- Neil

theothernt wrote:
    I own a Nokia N80 and I think the only really advantage over, say, the Nokia N73 is the Wifi - but if you think you're going to make use of it (web browsing, VoIP, etc) then it's a great phone, still :)

If you do get it, I would recommend changing the product code and updating to the latest N80ie (Internet Edition) firmware.

- Neil

well the n73 is actually €100 dearer, if i weren't to get the n80 i'd get the n70, older again but good battery life not chunky good enough camera and of course €130 cheaper. I'll try both of them out next time and then decide if the n80 is worth it.

thanks for all your (very mixed) replies

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭fixxation

Hi there,

I'd like to purchase an N80, mainly for the WiFi connectivity, but I can't find a network that sells them here in Ireland. I was going to get one on eBay, but after reading that they can't be unlocked, I'm worried that I'll get one that's of no use to me here.

Where did you guys get yours, and is there any way they can be unlocked now?

Cheers
    A.

I was able to use a relation's upgrade with O2 UK. It's not an option now as they don't appear to sell the phone. Similar situation with Three Ireland I see.

Buying a phone from eBay is perfectly fine as long as it's "Unlocked" so just make sure you read everything - and maybe contact the seller if you're not sure.

For reference: O2 UK never locked the Nokia N80 (same with the Nokia N95)

- Neil

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭fixxation

Thanks for that Neil - yeah I've noticed tons on eBay for sale that are Unlocked and boxed, and all the boxes say O2 on the outside. Nice of O2 over there to do that for their customers... wish all providers would do the same! :)

Thanks again
    A.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 67 ✭✭paulshir

theothernt wrote:

- Neil

You can do this legitimately now without changing the product code. Nokia made it available to everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭demon3

I have had an N80 for about 6 months, excellent phone, had a few bugs early on, but the Wifi works great. I have a 2gig memory card in it and run TomTom GPS, runs very well. I know someone with an N73, and it looks very plain... but not a bad phone either, just missing the Wifi.

Advertisement