Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Honors Maths Question Help...

Options
  • 07-04-2007 2:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Citizen_Erased

Hi all,
    Just been getting down to some study and I have come across this question which had me slightly stumped so I went onto the e-xamit site to have a look at their solution.
    The Question is LC 2005 , Paper 1 , Question 6, C (iii). You are being asked to prove that the curve is its own image under central symmetry through the point of intersection of the asymptotes .Here is the solution from e-xamit.ie (btw code is cbmoqg if you wanna check it for yourself) and it is fairly comprehensible until the bit I have highlighted in red. Surely I am not mistaking in saying that what it says there is completely incorrect? Any suggestions at all?
    20056ciiikv9.jpg
    Thanks
    C_E

Comments

no, its correct. they convert the 2 into 2(a-1/a-1). i.e (2a-2)/a-1.

This puts 2a-2-a above the line (a-1 below) which becomes a-2/a-1

make sense?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Citizen_Erased

Yes I have it at a-2/a-1 , what I dont get is how it then jumps it to 2-a/a-1 .

ok

2 - a/(a-1)

becomes

2*(1) - a/(a-1)

becomes 2*(a-1)/(a-1) - a/(a-1)

becomes (2a-2)/(a-1) - a/(a-1)

= (2a-2-a)/(a-1)

= (a-2)/(a-1)

clearer?

oops, yeah that's wrong...

Sorry I am not being very clear here , I have that bit that you have described that is not my problem , hang on a minute I will post image to clarify.
    Heres the image ...
    qhmbj3.jpg

{edit} Yep , Emmet theres defo something up with it , sorry I wasn't clearer earlier but it's great to here it from someone else now too. Thanks for the help.

• Advertisement

no i see it know, it should have become 2-a/1-a if they were going to multiply it by -1/-1

Actually I think I have it now , it is just a typing error or whatever because later on in the question it is refared to as 2-a/1-a so they did just multiply by -1/-1 but just a typo or whatever in that line and the next is the problem.
    So problem solved , thanks for your help Emmet.

C_E

Advertisement