Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Clontarf going down the tubes?

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

i wouldn't say so, is the latest one even in clontarf? I'd call it more Marino/Fairview..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,880 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Yes, it's safe to say Clontarf is an absolute hellhole. After all, it is on the northside. ;)

Anyway Clontarf property owners who want to sell up fast (and cheap) before they're murdered in their own home, please pm me. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

gurramok wrote:
    is Clontarf getting that bad?

Maybe those on the Dublin board can answer this for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

2 murders over 3 years?

Pah!

Here in Coolock it doesn't feel like the week has ended properly unless some has been murdered in a brutal fashion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

The West is worse, people getting run down by tractors, and falling into manure pits...
    But down here in the Wesht, we hear most about Coolock been a gangland area worse than anywhere else..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

'Northside suburb going down the tubes' SHOCKER! In other news, the 'Antarctic is cold'!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

i live in clontarf. i think its fine. better than most places in dublin (yes including the southside)

most of the areas around here (artane, raheny,ect.) are defo getting better than worse.

by the by, chalemont road is in marino not clontarf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

judas101 wrote:

thats exactly what i was going to say, clontarf isnt going to the dogs, its still very upmarket and safe, compared to a lot of places in dublin (south, west and north), try getting a bus to loughlinstown on the southside after 7pm, you wont, the service has stopped because of anti-social behavior.

Bang on.

furthermore, one of the above links os about someone who got knocked down on the clontarf road. how does that make clontarf a bad area?

another link is of a post office that was attempted to be held up. you think robbers rob their local post offices? didnt think so.

theres only been one major incident in the last while in clontarf being that shooting a while back and that turned out to be gang related deal from dublin west based gangs.

Isn't Barcode in Clontarf?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

Yep. And The Monk lives in Clontarf. But, I think he's clean now.

In fairness, anyone who thinks Clontarf is a bad area needs to look harder at the places you pass through in getting to there. It's a nice place.

i mean if you look hard enough for bad stuff you'll find it whether youre in dalkey or on talbot st.

i still think the monk has his fingers in a few pies tbh.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,216 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Clontarf when you're selling, Marino/Fairview/Killester etc. when you're buying.

No worse or better than it was years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

judas101 wrote:
    i live in clontarf. i think its fine. better than most places in dublin (yes including the southside)

most of the areas around here (artane, raheny,ect.) are defo getting better than worse.

Charlemont Road is in Clontarf!!! Its about 500 metres south of Clontarf Golf Club BTW

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

my only real experience of clontarf was barcode and it just seemed to me to be scumbags wit ha bot more money than most scumbag areas.................theres alot of it in malahide too, although not to the extent of murder and they are nowhere near in the majority, alot of the "kids" seem to have gone down the knacker route regardless of how well off their family is

Charlemont Road is in Clontarf!!! Its about 500 metres south of Clontarf Golf Club BTW

it's not really, only by a very generous definition. At best it is on the border of fairview, marino and clontarf but most people who live anywhere near it would say it is Marino. Clontarf golf club isn't really in clontarf either, certainly not the entrance anyway.

copacetic wrote:
    it's not really only, by a very genrous definition. At best it is on the border of fairview, marino and clontarf but most people who live anywhere near it would say it is Marino. Clontarf golf club isn't really in clontarf either, certainly not the entrance anyway.

its either clontarf by its address or its not

PeakOutput wrote:
    its either clontarf by its address or its not

rubbish, there is no such thing as defined limits for town names in Dublin, only postcodes and even they get a bit iffy on borderline areas.

copacetic wrote:
    rubbish, there is no such thing as defined limits for town names in Dublin, only postcodes and even they get a bit iffy on borderline areas.

there are probably more areas in dublin now without postcodes than with (obviously taking county dublin into account) if it says clontarf in the address and no marino or artane or coolock then it is clontarf ........i dont understand how that can be disputed

sorry i just re-read your post....so your saying that the name you put above the postcode does not matter it will still find its way there???? and there are no conventions for deciding where the borders of different areas start and end???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

The Malahide Road splits Clontarf and Marino. East of it is Clontarf.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

The Malahide Road splits Clontarf and Marino. East of it is Clontarf.

100% spot on.

PeakOutput wrote:
    there are probably more areas in dublin now without postcodes than with (obviously taking county dublin into account) if it says clontarf in the address and no marino or artane or coolock then it is clontarf ........i dont understand how that can be disputed

sorry i just re-read your post....so your saying that the name you put above the postcode does not matter it will still find its way there???? and there are no conventions for deciding where the borders of different areas start and end???

exactly, what I am saying is who defines the address? the person who lives there. obviosly the post office would be a bit miffed at artane or coolock as they are miles away but once it says D3 the post would get there...

Postcodes in Dublin are a Joke,I am just off the Grange Road in D13 I have got letters in my door marked D5,D3,D17,D14.

Dub13 wrote:
    100% spot on.

I disagree, most people would say it is the howth road that splits clontarf from donnycarney, killester and marino. Between the malahide and howth road is still marino (or donnycarney further up for that matter).

Also isn't the famous Marino Crescent in Clontarf by your definition?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,409 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Moot point, 2008 we get post codes.
    Will be interesting to see the tempory effect on the property market.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Longfield wrote:
    Moot point, 2008 we get post codes.
    Will be interesting to see the tempory effect on the property market.

not really though, people will still be putting the 'posh' area on their address if they can, if anything the fact that postcodes will not be as easy to decipher will mean the townland name will be more, not less, important and definitely not moot.

copacetic wrote:
    I disagree, most people would say it is the howth road that splits clontarf from donnycarney, killester and marino. Between the malahide and howth road is still marino (or donnycarney further up for that matter).

The biggest plot of land between the Malahide and Howth Roads would be Mount Temple school & Clontarf Golf club,have you ever heard of these been referred to as Marino ...?

Dub13 wrote:
    The biggest plot of land between the Malahide and Howth Roads would be Mount Temple school & Clontarf Golf club,have you ever heard of these been referred to as Marino ...?

never heard of them as clontarf either. In fact mount temple is just malahide road, D3. I should know.

Also directly north of the golf club is Donnycarney church and the whole area of Donnycarney, all east of malahide road, are you saying that is actually clontarf?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

copacetic wrote:
    exactly, what I am saying is who defines the address? the person who lives there. obviosly the post office would be a bit miffed at artane or coolock as they are miles away but once it says D3 the post would get there...

Artane and Coolock are in D5, no? Maybe I'm misreading your post so maybe you know this already
    Guys, this road is question is defo Clontarf.

Easy to see where the cofusion lies. Most of the snobs in Killester and Marino reckon they are in Clontarf.
    They may get away with it, but as for people from Donnycarney, :eek:.

• Advertisement

micmclo wrote:
    Artane and Coolock are in D5, no? Maybe I'm misreading your post so maybe you know this already
    Guys, this road is question is defo Clontarf.

Easy to see where the cofusion lies. Most of the snobs in Killester and Marino reckon they are in Clontarf.
    They may get away with it, but as for people from Donnycarney, :eek:.

peak seemed to think they were in the same area, I was pointing out they were miles away. Again, I love all the 'defo' and '100% spot on'. Based on what? As I asked above, are you all saying that the famous Marino Crescent is in Clontarf?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement