Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Clontarf going down the tubes?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

copacetic wrote:
    peak seemed to think they were in the same area, I was pointing out they were miles away. Again, I love all the 'defo' and '100% spot on'. Based on what? As I asked above, are you all saying that the famous Marino Crescent is in Clontarf?

i was only pointing out why your point that its all about the post codes is not correct i know exactly where these places are

• Registered Users Posts: 15,409 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

copacetic wrote:
    not really though, people will still be putting the 'posh' area on their address if they can, if anything the fact that postcodes will not be as easy to decipher will mean the townland name will be more, not less, important and definitely not moot.

LOL, thats all I can say, if you think Irish house buyers won't do their homework on this then you are sorely out of touch imho.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

PeakOutput wrote:
    i was only pointing out why your point that its all about the post codes is not correct i know exactly where these places are

didn't do a very good job did you, since you didn't point out or prove anything.

Longfield wrote:
    LOL, thats all I can say, if you think Irish house buyers won't do their homework on this then you are sorely out of touch imho.

:confused: where did I say that? I was just pointing out that when postcodes come in, area names are not going to dissapear. Which is what you seem to think based on your post above?

copacetic wrote:
    didn't do a very good job did you, since you didn't point out or prove anything.

so you honestly think that you can leave out the town name and put in the area code and the letter will get where it needs to go???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

copacetic wrote:
    rubbish, there is no such thing as defined limits for town names in Dublin, only postcodes and even they get a bit iffy on borderline areas.

I understand how borders between townlands can be difficult, but postcodes?
    I've a map book here in front of me and it couldn't be clearer on where the postcode boundary are. Sure many of them wind around parts of the same estate (they did when I lived in Artane) but there can be no confusion on what post area you are in.

Townlands are a different matter

PeakOutput wrote:
    so you honestly think that you can leave out the town name and put in the area code and the letter will get where it needs to go???

I don't honestly believe it, I know it for a fact. eg mount temple above, they don't even use a town name, they just use the road and the postcode. I know loads of people that do the same. Where I live now people vary the town name and the postcode and all the post gets here.

micmclo wrote:
    I understand how borders between townlands can be difficult, but postcodes?
    I've a map book here in front of me and it couldn't be clearer on where the postcode boundary are. Sure many of them wind around parts of the same estate (they did when I lived in Artane) but there can be no confusion on what post area you are in.

Townlands are a different matter

so I used to think but where I live now is debatable between D18 and Co. Dublin, some people use one, some the other and the post office aren't sure of the boundary since everything is new. They say you can use whichever you like until the new system comes in. For instance in your mapbook where is the line between co. dublin and D18 in the sandyford/stepaside area?

copacetic wrote:
    I don't honestly believe it, I know it for a fact. eg mount temple above, they don't even use a town name, they just use the road and the postcode. I know loads of people that do the same. Where I live now people vary the town name and the postcode and all the post gets here.

ok well i know for a fact that you are wrong............in malahide there were new houses built near the border of malahide and swords closer to swords than malahide........the developer had to withdraw his advertisements stating the estate was in malahide because it was actually(according to the county council borders as far as i remember) in swords........so it is very clear that there are set down boundary lines for address's. people can send mail to wherever they want and if the postman happens know what they mean(for example i got a letter delivered to my house even though it was adressed wrong because the postman recognised the second name) it will get were it needs to go. this does not change the fact that the official adress of the property will be on the deeds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

copacetic wrote:
    i wouldn't say so, is the latest one even in clontarf? I'd call it more Marino/Fairview..
    Strange that our dail seem to think its in clontarf http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:tcTybcmUfPUJ:historical-debates.oireachtas.ie/D/0317/D.0317.197911270030.html+charlemont+road+clontarf&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=ie&client=firefox-a

Here's 2 apartments for rent on daft saying its Charlemont Road, Clontarf
    http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?search=Search+%BB&s[search_type]=area&s[a_id]=206&s[cc_id]=206&s[c_id]=1&s[ct_id]=1&s[refreshmap]=1&offset=8&limit=8&id=452827
    http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?search=Search+%BB&s[search_type]=area&s[a_id]=206&s[cc_id]=206&s[c_id]=1&s[ct_id]=1&s[refreshmap]=1&offset=8&limit=8&id=455245

This property on the Malahide Road immediately west of Charlemont Road is described as Clontarf.
    http://www.myhome.ie/search/property.asp?id=305966

Are they -daft, myhome, dail, media and posters here all wrong??

• Advertisement

gurramok wrote:

plenty of posters here have also said it is not clontarf. What are you on? The 'dail' thinks? wtf does that mean.

As for posting property links? That's laughable, they are all going to say the poshest area now aren't they? Do you really believe that they mean something?

They others above dissapeared as soon as this was asked, so I'll ask you.
    Is the famous Marino Crescent in Clontarf by your reckoning? I suppose it will be and Marino Avenue too?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

Charlemont Road is in Clontarf!!! Its about 500 metres south of Clontarf Golf Club BTW

Charlemont road is on the marino side of the Howth Road...the boundary

its not Clontarf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

There is a vets office beside the Centra shop close to the junction of the Malahide Rd and Griffith Avenue.

If anything west of the Howth Road is Marino why does the office and website call themselves Clontarf Veterinary Hospital?
    Are they wrong?
    Link and link to map.
    http://www.anicare.ie/about_us.html
    http://www.anicare.ie/images/clontarf_map.gif

Good example as it's just off the road mentioned by the OP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭King.Penguin

Jesus, I bet every single one of the last 3 posters on this subject are teenagers.

I think the main point to take away from this is that townland names such as Malahide, Swords, Fairview etc. are not discrete entities. Postcodes such as D3, D5, and D7 generally are (however there are 1 or 2 problematic areas). There is little legislation preventing a property developer saying his new estate is Castleknock when it's 5 mins walk from Blanchardstown shopping centre. At the end of the day it's all in D15 but Castleknock sells better than Blanchardstown because people are stupid gob****es and want to live in an area with a nice name (remember the property doesn't actually move regardless of the second last line of your address).

It's similar in the case of Swords/Malahide/Kinsealy/Feltrim. I wasn't aware the develper in the previous case was forced to remove the Malahide advertising. I think it's worth noting that malahide rugby club is actually a little bit closer to the Post office in Swords as opposed to the Post office in Malahide (same for garda station too).

Anyway, back to the topic at hand. Clontarf is another example of a slighlty sprawling townland name, it's the D4 of the northside. People who live beside the old dollymount house seafield road are in clontarf not dollymount, those at the end of vernon avenue are in clontarf not raheny etc. etc. Charlemont avenue is in clontarf if you consider barcode to be in clontarf. However, it comes down to your outlook. It's 2 mins walk from indisuputable marino.

This gerrymandering has and always will go on. My parents live in grace park heights (turn left off the Malahide rd. @ Donneycarney church and it's 3-4mins walk away) which, officially, is down as DRUMCONDRA!!!! The neighbouring estate, the meadows, is officially Donneycarney. Also Annadale (top of Phillipsburgh Ave.) is Whitehall AFAIK.

Jesus, I bet every single one of the last 3 posters on this subject are teenagers.

I think the main point to take away from this is that townland names such as Malahide, Swords, Fairview etc. are not discrete entities. Postcodes such as D3, D5, and D7 generally are (however there are 1 or 2 problematic areas). There is little legislation preventing a property developer saying his new estate is Castleknock when it's 5 mins walk from Blanchardstown shopping centre. At the end of the day it's all in D15 but Castleknock sells better than Blanchardstown because people are stupid gob****es and want to live in an area with a nice name (remember the property doesn't actually move regardless of the second last line of your address).

It's similar in the case of Swords/Malahide/Kinsealy/Feltrim. I wasn't aware the develper in the previous case was forced to remove the Malahide advertising. I think it's worth noting that malahide rugby club is actually a little bit closer to the Post office in Swords as opposed to the Post office in Malahide (same for garda station too).

Anyway, back to the topic at hand. Clontarf is another example of a slighlty sprawling townland name, it's the D4 of the northside. People who live beside the old dollymount house seafield road are in clontarf not dollymount, those at the end of vernon avenue are in clontarf not raheny etc. etc. Charlemont avenue is in clontarf if you consider barcode to be in clontarf. However, it comes down to your outlook. It's 2 mins walk from indisuputable marino.

more to the point, it's about a 10 second walk from marino avenue, which is one road up. I'll take your bet by the way..

copacetic wrote:
    Is the famous Marino Crescent in Clontarf by your reckoning? I suppose it will be and Marino Avenue too?

Marino Crescent is in Clontarf.

If you disagree then, you'll disown the birthplace of Bram Stoker
    http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:3lQoOw-XgGAJ:www.dublintourist.com/literary_dublin/+marino+crescent+dublin&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=4&gl=ie&client=firefox-a
    http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:wqpsADWWm_4J:en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bram_Stoker+marino+crescent+dublin&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=21&gl=ie&client=firefox-a
    http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:S5IRi1XdfQAJ:www.answers.com/topic/bram-stoker+marino+crescent+dublin&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=31&gl=ie&client=firefox-a

who just so happens was born at number 15 Marino Crescent, Clontarf officially.

Charlemont Road is further north-easterly from Marino in Clontarf than Marino Crescent, just look at a map of the area.

Historically in 1888 Street Finder, Marino Crescent was always addressed as in Clontarf
    http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:1vFBI7bPurgJ:homepages.rootsweb.com/~lennan/data/dubc.htm+marino+crescent+dublin&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=33&gl=ie&client=firefox-a

gurramok wrote:

you have got to be sh1tting me1 if you did that search you must have seen all the results than say Marino Crescent, Marino is the birthplace of Bram stoker. Didn't bother to link them though..

copacetic wrote:
    you have got to be sh1tting me1 if you did that search you must have seen all the results than say Marino Crescent, Marino is the birthplace of Bram stoker. Didn't bother to link them though..

They are 'Marino Crescent Dublin' results, i didn't put in either Clontarf or Marino.

Loads of international websites say Bram Stoker was born in Clontarf, guess according to yourself, Marino has just got a boost!

This delightful pub in the street behind Charlemont Road on Marino Avenue describes itself as in Clontarf, maybe they are wrong as well?
    http://www.dublinpubscene.com/thepubs/graingers2.html

Disregard th 1888 street name as well?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,216 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Part of the problem here is we are talking about old names like Clontarf which have existed for hundreds of years and 20th century superimposed placenames like Marino/Donnycarney etc..
    Some places are in both.

Barcode would have been under the sea 200 years ago....how times have changed. For the better, I'm sure.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Moved from AH.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭rivers

it's funny that you keep quoting pubs or ads for houses stating clontarf as the address. as stated before they're obviously going to say its in clontarf. that's also the same reason why westwood is in clontarf. looks much better on the brochures than marino dont you think?
    I always thought the border was the howth road/train line that separates marino/clontarf.

to the guy who was using the fact that barcode is full of scumbags (which it is) to justify clontarf being a bad place, people come from all over dublin to go to that place. Yes alot from clontarf, but also from everywhere else aswell...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

The shooting was in Marino, not Clontarf simple, i do deliverys in Clontarf for a shop on the Clontarf road so i know the area well, never mind postcodes or online estate agents. And no Clontarf isnt going down the tubes you'll get rough sorts in all walks of life and not specified to one area.

-VB-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

Marino Marino Marino.

I went to secondary school in ard scoil ris MARINO which where griffith ave and malahide road cross. To get there every day i cycled from clontarf through killester.

"Clontarf golf course" i'm not even sure borders Clontarf rather Donneycarney, Killester ect.

I wouldnt consider the Howth road to be in Clontarf.

As mentioned above it's a fact that estate agents ect stretch the boundaries of certain areas to make them more appealing to buyers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

I lived on Charlemont Road for three years. It's address is Clontarf. I would not receive post if someone marked it down as Marino or Fairview. (lots of mates did this of course)

"I wouldnt consider the Howth road to be in Clontarf."

The bit that goes through Clontarf is.

And which part would that be then?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

judas101 wrote:
    And which part would that be then?

The part that goes from Charlemont Road, past Sweeney and Forte, past Copeland Avenue, Past Harry Byrnes of Clontarf, passed that newish place, I think its called Ashbrook, along by Dunluce until you get to Killester.

Here is a lil' map.

Map_5795235.jpg

hmmm.

it's a bit of a grey area.

driving down the howth road you go through killester, past clontarf and into marino (fairview)

its pretty borderline.

that picture does illustrate how clontarf golf course is NOT in clontarf. Not even a little bit.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,216 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

judas101 wrote:
    that picture does illustrate how clontarf golf course is NOT in clontarf. Not even a little bit.

But it 'was' before the imposition of areas such as Donnycarney and Marino in the 20th century. In fact almost all that map was 'Clontarf' 150 years ago.
    Herein lies the confusion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Donnycarney Golf Course it is so!

Don't think the members would agree som how

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement