Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Clontarf going down the tubes?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

The postal addresses of all the houses in that area on both sides of the Howth Road are Clontarf. Allways have been, always will be. The map is up to date.

(The golf course entrance is a bit far from Clontarf all right!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

spurious wrote:
    But it 'was' before the imposition of areas such as Donnycarney and Marino in the 20th century. In fact almost all that map was 'Clontarf' 150 years ago.
    Herein lies the confusion.

Exactly.

Get with the times maaannnnn!

judas101 wrote:
    Exactly.

wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

lightening wrote:
    wrong.

good point. you raise an interesting arguement.

Hey, I tell you what then Judas.

I will think that the houses on the Howth Road with Clontarf postal addresses are in Clontarf.

You will think that the houses on the Howth Road with Clontarf postal addresses are in some other part of Dublin, not Clontarf.

There, you go off all happy now! Enough said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 Sorted

I know this thread is a bit old (!) but I stumbled across it while I coincidentally have the deeds to a house on Brighton Avenue which is directly off Charlemont Road. The deed is from 1905 and describes the house as being in "Clontarf in the City of Dublin" and "in the Manor and Parish of Clontarf".

So there :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I'm from Coolock, but most of my mates live in the Clontarf area, so I know what it's like on both ends of the spectrum. Clontarf is fine, I know of a couple of eastwallers that hang around there but it's mostly safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭extopia

I'd say the railway line is the natural boundary. East of it is Clontarf. West of it is either Fairview, Marino, Donnycarney or Killester, depending on how far North you go.

I don't believe Barcode is in Clontarf. It's in Fairview. The land it's built on used to be a corporation depot, part of Fairview park. Its address is Clontarf Rd., Dublin 3, which is not necessarily Clontarf.

The Crescent (which is its name; it's not Marino Crescent) is indisputably in Fairview. It predates the Marino housing estate by a long way. I believe those who attribute Stokers birthplace to Marino or Clontarf to be simply wrong. The Crescent is beside Clontarf (west of the railway line at Clontarf Rd), but it is not IN Clontaft. And it's across the Malahide Road from Marino. No one would dispute that Marino crosses the Malahide Road. It is a clearly defined housing scheme bordered by Malahide Rd., Griffith Ave, Philipsburgh Ave, and a line south of Brian Road. South of Brian Road, the southern end of Philipsburgh Ave is Fairview.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Impressive thread resurrection

But you sir extopia know your stuff! I've been saying for a long time that Westwood was in Fairview but they advertise themselves as Clontarf.

You've pretty much nailed the separation of Fairview, Marino and Clontarf but of course many people have creeped into "Clontarf West", Marino!
    Dunno why, Marino is a perfectly fine location.
    And without doubt, Bram Stokers house is in Fairview

But there is a vet on the Malahide Road that advertises themselves as Clontarf, it's in the business name.
    It's by Centra and Graingers pub though that pub may be gone now, not sure.
    Surely a business wouldn't put a false business name,no?

Well, businesses like to advertise themselves in the best possible light. Clontarf has more cachet than Fairview. As for the vet, well, he could just be fudging it, or he could just be wrong. There's nothing to stop you naming your business after an adjacent area. Or even a non-adjacent area, now that I think of it. What about the Boston Bakery (Drumcondra). Or the Mullingar House (Chapelizod). Countless more examples around town.

I agree with you that Marino, Fairview, and Clontarf are all fine areas. And so is Donnycarney, which, as is suggested above, even has its own golf club :-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

This thread was interesting, so I've deleted a few comments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Certainly was. Tempted to dig up up to date crime stats on the area but that would be against the forum rules which were introduced after the thread was started! :D;)

extopia wrote: »
    I'd say the railway line is the natural boundary. East of it is Clontarf. West of it is either Fairview, Marino, Donnycarney or Killester, depending on how far North you go.

I don't believe Barcode is in Clontarf. It's in Fairview. The land it's built on used to be a corporation depot, part of Fairview park. Its address is Clontarf Rd., Dublin 3, which is not necessarily Clontarf.

The Crescent (which is its name; it's not Marino Crescent) is indisputably in Fairview. It predates the Marino housing estate by a long way. I believe those who attribute Stokers birthplace to Marino or Clontarf to be simply wrong. The Crescent is beside Clontarf (west of the railway line at Clontarf Rd), but it is not IN Clontaft. And it's across the Malahide Road from Marino. No one would dispute that Marino crosses the Malahide Road. It is a clearly defined housing scheme bordered by Malahide Rd., Griffith Ave, Philipsburgh Ave, and a line south of Brian Road. South of Brian Road, the southern end of Philipsburgh Ave is Fairview.

"I'd say", "I don't believe"...!!!! Here's a FACT for you: all the properties between the Malahide Road and Howth Road from The Crescent heading north to the border of Donnycarney will have "Clontarf" on their title deeds. Always was always will be. Marino lies to the east of the Malahide Road.

The Crescent faces the Clontarf Road and - heading west to town - the sequence is Marino Mart and then Fairview.

Thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭jkmanc1974

mikemac wrote: »
    Impressive thread resurrection

But you sir extopia know your stuff! I've been saying for a long time that Westwood was in Fairview but they advertise themselves as Clontarf.

You've pretty much nailed the separation of Fairview, Marino and Clontarf but of course many people have creeped into "Clontarf West", Marino!
    Dunno why, Marino is a perfectly fine location.
    And without doubt, Bram Stokers house is in Fairview

But there is a vet on the Malahide Road that advertises themselves as Clontarf, it's in the business name.
    It's by Centra and Graingers pub though that pub may be gone now, not sure.
    Surely a business wouldn't put a false business name,no?

Has Graingers gone or what the story? Used to be my local before I moved West 3 years ago.....

Brgds
    Johnny

I can happily report that Graingers is still alive and kicking! Nice pub. They got planning to develop the site - new pub, apartments etc but I'm not sure if that's going ahead or not. Would have been a great improvement on that corner though so fingers crossed it'll happen...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

and now gerry's gone (if this wasnt mentioned yet)

and now gerry's gone (if this wasnt mentioned yet)

Er...who's Gerry? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

ER....G RYAN....!

(the quiet, skinny fella with no opinion about nuthin)

has'nt he left clontarf to go more up-market ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

has'nt he left clontarf to go more up-market ?

Well, I don't think a desire to go more up-market was his sole motivation for quitting the family home ;) !

His family used to live up the road from me, then moved to the Clontarf Road. When he got married they lived, IIRC, in Marino, then to where the family home currently is.

FWIW, my 2 cent on boundaries. I lived for 5 years in Venetian Hall and, when needed, offered an address of Howth Road, Clontarf, Dublin 3. As often as not, someone used to over-write Killester, Dublin 5 on the envelope.

On the west side of Howth Road, it's Clontarf up to the Collins Avenue junction. After that, it's Killester, even though they're on the side of the tracks that others have suggested are Clontarf.

Growing up in Clontarf, and attending Belgrove, there were some families from the Conquer Hill area that you'd cross the road to avoid. That was over 30 years ago, so there is a history of, eh, 'different social values' in the area.

And, YES, Westwood is not in Clontarf, just like Total Fitness (beside Clare Hall) is not in Malahide.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭wintear

Would that be the Total Fitness beside the Hilton Dublin Airport?

Place names are very flexible in Dublin and as someone said Clontarf along with Howth and Sutton are the places to live on the Northside of the city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭jkmanc1974

wintear wrote: »

Place names are very flexible in Dublin and as someone said Clontarf along with Howth and Sutton are the places to live on the Northside of the city.

Yep that the same Total Fitness beside the Hilton Dublin Airport/Darndale Hilton.....

Back to the original query though, think it will make for interesting conversation when am up in Graingers next week!!!

Brgds
    Johnny

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Rashers

TarfHead wrote: »
    FWIW, my 2 cent on boundaries. I lived for 5 years in Venetian Hall and, when needed, offered an address of Howth Road, Clontarf, Dublin 3. As often as not, someone used to over-write Killester, Dublin 5 on the envelope.

FWIW Venetian Hall was built on the ground where I started my first job -- Dublin Dairies, and the dairy was known as the Killester depot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭highdef

wintear wrote: »

Which is probably why Bayside, which is an area in itself, is apparently in Sutton :eek: Even houses on Kilbarrack Road in Kilbarrack have their addresses as Sutton. To walk from one of these houses to Sutton would take at least 20 minutes. To make things even more complicated, I've seen addresses on the east side of Kilbarrack Road being described as being in Sutton and houses on the opposite side of the road as being in Raheny. WTF is Kilbarrack so???
    To prove that Bayside is actually Kilbarrack - Kilbarrack Cemetery is in the middle of Sutton Park, Kilbarrack. This is about a kilometre east of the Kilbarrack Road and is about half way between Kilbarrack Road and Sutton Cross. Why would Kilbarrack Cemetery be called Kilbarrack Cemetery if it was in Sutton. Kilbarrack is actually huge.....a lot bigger than most people realise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

highdef wrote: »
    Which is probably why Bayside, which is an area in itself, is apparently in Sutton :eek: Even houses on Kilbarrack Road in Kilbarrack have their addresses as Sutton.

Houses in the general Bayside area are referrred to as Sutton, including Verbena, Sarto & Sutton Park. The title deeds of houses in Sutton Park refer to it being in Sutton, so that's the Land Registry's view of the world ;).

The football & gymnastics clubs refer to themselves as Mid-Sutton.

A colleague of my wife lives near Kilbarrack DART station, yet refers to her home as Raheny. Go figure !

highdef wrote: »
    I've seen addresses on the east side of Kilbarrack Road being described as being in Sutton and houses on the opposite side of the road as being in Raheny. WTF is Kilbarrack so???

:D The white line in the middle of the road!!

Sorted wrote: »
    "I'd say", "I don't believe"...!!!! Here's a FACT for you: all the properties between the Malahide Road and Howth Road from The Crescent heading north to the border of Donnycarney will have "Clontarf" on their title deeds. Always was always will be. Marino lies to the east of the Malahide Road.

The Crescent faces the Clontarf Road and - heading west to town - the sequence is Marino Mart and then Fairview.

Thank you :)

Fair enough, I'd admit that it's disputable whether the houses between Malahide Road and Howth road are in Clontarf or not. (Although I WOULD like to see those title deeds).

The fact that the road facing the Crescent is Clontarf Road does not mean that that part of the road is actually in Clontarf. (For example, no one would claim that Howth Road is actually in Howth).

Have a look at this map of St. Anthony's Parish. Not definitive but it does suggest an old source for the Clontarf boundaries in this area. Not that it doesn't claim all the houses on the west side of Howth Road.

You're welcome. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

TarfHead wrote: »

Venetian Hall is most definitely Killester Dublin 5.
    Killester is a fine area, I lived not far from it for two years

Dublin 3, seriously :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement