Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chip & Pin - can retailers still get you to sign?

Options
  • 07-04-2007 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭

I was in House of Frazer in Dundrum earlier, and the cashier got me to sign for my purchase. I questioned was I not supposed to be using my Chip & Pin password (Since March 17th this year), but they didn't seem to have the correct card terminals and he said 'there was a loophole' that still allowed them to issue it the old way.

Was the highly publicised deadline that all chip and pin owner must know their password, and they can't be given the option to sign should the retailer have the chip and pin terminals? (as in a 'fallback'?).

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Yep but if anything goes wrong (ie fraud) the retailer has no comeback and must bear the loss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Yep but if anything goes wrong (ie fraud) the retailer has no comeback and must bear the loss.
    Where does it say this in the chip & pin literature on bankign websites?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭ArthurDent

Well I was in Fallon and Byrne on Exchequer St today and not only did I have to sign for my purchase, but the girl didn't check my signature (and I know the sig is practically illegible on the back of the card) and when I asked her about using my pin number or at least checking my signature she just shrugged and went to serve next customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

The only thing that has changed since 17th March is if there is fraud on the account and the card has been signed for the retailer bears the cost and no the bank. They can let you sign for it if they want.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I work in a supermarket and we weren't told a single thing about the March 17th deadline. In fact I was getting people to sign all day because the chip&pin machine wasn't working. I work in one those bend-over-backwards-for-the-customer places so I can't ever see us refusing to let someone sign.

And (when being signed) I almost never check the signature anymore. It's a waste of time. Since the chip&pin has come in many people seem to think they don't have to sign the back anymore and get snotty with you with you suggest otherwise. And forget about asking them for id. Management doesn't seem to care so neither do I.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Afaik the retailer pays higher charges for cards that are still signed. And yes, they do bear the fraud if it turns up as a dud.

Irish Permanent havent even issued chip and pin cards yet, so all their customers still sign!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I work in a supermarket and we weren't told a single thing about the March 17th deadline. In fact I was getting people to sign all day because the chip&pin machine wasn't working. I work in one those bend-over-backwards-for-the-customer places so I can't ever see us refusing to let someone sign.

And (when being signed) I almost never check the signature anymore. It's a waste of time. Since the chip&pin has come in many people seem to think they don't have to sign the back anymore and get snotty with you with you suggest otherwise. And forget about asking them for id. Management doesn't seem to care so neither do I.
    "Management doesn't care, so why should I" - I know exactly how you feel, shame it's come to this :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

ArthurDent wrote:
    Well I was in Fallon and Byrne on Exchequer St today and not only did I have to sign for my purchase, but the girl didn't check my signature (and I know the sig is practically illegible on the back of the card) and when I asked her about using my pin number or at least checking my signature she just shrugged and went to serve next customer.

I must have got the same shrugging girl last week when I asked the same question :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

ArthurDent wrote:
    but the girl didn't check my signature (and I know the sig is practically illegible on the back of the card) .

You might like these :D

http://www.zug.com/pranks/credit/

http://www.zug.com/pranks/credit_card/

cheers for the feedback folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

ciaranfo wrote:
    Where does it say this in the chip & pin literature on bankign websites?

Found this on the Ulster Bank site:
    You receive a message that the PIN is locked

If the terminal advises or the cardholder tells you that their PIN is locked you will need to ask them for an alternative means of payment and advise them to contact their card issuer for a re-advice of PIN. It is important that you do not try to bypass the chip reader and manually enter the card number as this will mean you may have to bear the loss should the transaction turn out
    to be fraudulent.

It's at the bottom of page 4 of this

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭Faerie

ArthurDent wrote:

When people sign for cards where I work, I don't really check the signatures either. In fact, no-one does. There are reasons for this!
    First of all, most of the signatures on the back of cards just look like a scribble anyway.
    If I did question a signature the customer would go crazy, and I mean crazy. I've seen customers kick up a storm because their cards have been declined online, which has nothing to do with the shop! I do not need the abuse.
    Where I work the shop would probably rather risk bearing the cost than dare upsetting a customer. It's ridiculous how much they do to prevent upsetting customers! They've even decided to ignore the new policy and will allow customers to sign for chip and pin cards.
    I glance at it, just in case someone did say something to me about it!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

A woman went crazy at me one day because her card was declined. This was after bypassing the pin and everything! I think she thought I made the till or something!

House of Fraser have no excuse for their carryon. The system they use (NSB ObjectPos) is used in loads of retailers like Brown thomas, AWear and more.

I was made sign in 3G in Dundrum yesterday. When I asked about it they said the terminal didn't work - funny how the terminal still worked for signing.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Iv had my card declined before and I only left the bank a few mins! Shop told me that the bank asked me to call down. Went back down and the bank had no idea what was wrong or anything but eventually figured out that my earlier request for money to go from my Deposit to General account hadnt gone through yet.

Super Value in Tramore still sign. They dont have chip and pin yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

Was in Homebase yesterday and I was asked to sign. When I questioned this I was told there was a problem with the bank and they weren't set up for it yet.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Was in Homebase yesterday and I was asked to sign. When I questioned this I was told there was a problem with the bank and they weren't set up for it yet.

was using a tesco self service machine last week and was told had to sign, when I questioned she just shrugged it off.....I rather a PIN setup to be honest....would make things faster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

I work in a supermarket that has self service machines and i would be so happy if we got chip & pin terminals for them...such a pain in the arse going over and getting a signature and the amount of people that don't have their cards signed and then get pissed off when i ask to see something with their signature on it. It's for their own good like. The amount of people that say "I've used this card in here lots of times before, how come I STILL have to sign for it?". I'm glad they're able to predict whether or not their card will get stolen at some point in the future but I can't...

Advertisement