Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Librolaws . Comments and Opinions

• 07-04-2007 3:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭

From Tuesday the Library is operating a policy whereby if you vacate your place for a period longer than 30 minutes your books, laptop , pink motorola V3 and family photos ect will be removed by library staff (librocop imo) and you place up for grabs.

I for one think this is a good move, too long have people gone on 3 hour breaks and people who actually want to do some work forced to walk around like idiots looking for a place.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Happens every year around exam time.

Not sure if it's still the same, but they leave a note on your desk with the time and say that if they come back and you're still not there in 20 minutes (or whatever it was) your stuff will be removed.

Dead right too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Haven't they being doing this for years? When I was in Belfield for first year they were definitely doing it. It's a good idea, so many people used to dump their stuff on desks before their 9am lectures then come back whenever, and I'm sure it's still done.

One problem is that if people disappear, and the librocops put the "this place is up for grabs in 30 minutes" paper on the desk, any of their mates can just take the slip and bin it.

Still though, better than nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

Yeah it makes sense to me too. There's way too many people leaving their stuff in the library and going off for coffee breaks for two hours.

Though I hope they're not too draconian in its implementation. The rule is due to come in effect on the 10th of April.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭SirCretop

who's gonna time everyone though? like is librocop gonna be there with a stopwatch timing exactly how long you're gona for?!?!

Get $75 FREE to use at PartyPoker.com the worlds largest pokerroom. Simply go to www.partystakers.com?bonus=2426 and use the code PPF75 in the referred by field when prompted. Your credit card details are not required whatsoever if you think it's a bit dodgy! Good Luck!

The librocop writes on the sheet the time when he passed through, so if people know that it's pub rules 30 mins after that, all they do is put whatever's on the desk to one side or on the floor.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Ah the heavenly serenity of studying in Glenomena!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

A better policy would be to auction off the stuff they confiscate make some money for librocop and the library itself, I could do with a pink motorola v3.

Actually thats a lie, its a shit phone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Yeah they've always done it. Great idea, stops people coming in early in the summer to grab a desk, then spending the next 10 or 12 hours out smoking or sunbathing by the lake.

Also fond of the auction idea, the could set up an on-line auctions site, "Li-bay".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

They did this when I was in 1st year, but didnt do it last year. People left desks for hours and they were never touched.

Generally speaking, I think it's a great idea. It does get fairly impossible to find a desk around exam time, and loads of them are left unoccupied for hours. But I think half an hour is a bit short, if it's strictly enforced. Most people do in fact use their desks most of the day, but take an hour in the middle to get lunch. And coming back after lunch and having to trek around trying to find another desk will be annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Been doing this for years and years. I was never sure how successful it was because as someone pointed out earlier, the notes were often just removed by other students. Even I did it.

As for lunch, I think they don't enforce the rule during lunch hours.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

So from 11-5 they're not enforced?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Well 30 mins theory could eqivalant to 1hr in practice.

If I read the note right this came into force last tuesday (cos I saw the note "from tuesday" last monday and didnt notice a date) yet on wednesday a guy came in, put his stuff on the desk next to me and I never saw him again (I was there for another 3.5 hours before leaving) yet his stuff wasnt moved.

TBH its obvious whos gone for a smoke and whos gone for a few hours in the laptop section when you see a desk with the charger plug still there and a copy, but no bag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

I think the lunch hours in the library are from 1pm to 2pm for the staff.

EDIT: Its from the 10th April Kaptain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

Unfortunately/Thankfully enforcement of this rule is usually very patchy, presumably because the libro-cops can't monitor all the library all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

In Trinity's libraries if you're gone for more than fifteen minutes any student can take your place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,173 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

and how do you know they're gone for 15 minutes?

People are supposed to leave a piece of paper down stating the time they left at, similar to what people said happens in UCD. But it's the students themselves who can move the stuff to one side, not the TCD librocop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

"Hi sangre, yeah this seat beside me has been unoccupied for at least an hour. Sit down beside me and let's have a hug."

Or perhaps more accurately:
    "Sorry, do you know has this seat been unoccupied long?"
    "Yes, at least an hour."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Ibid wrote:
    In Trinity's libraries if you're gone for more than fifteen minutes any student can take your place.
    Which is definitely the way it should be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Garret

harsh, have you never gone for a 15 minute crap?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,173 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

It has certainly taken me longer than 15 minutes to find the books/reports/journals I wanted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I wouldn't go off for 2 hours and leave my stuff (laptop, etc) unattended... But yeh it's a good rule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Chakar wrote:
    I think the lunch hours in the library are from 1pm to 2pm for the staff.

EDIT: Its from the 10th April Kaptain.
    Now, though you could well be right, do you realise that your post contained no new information?
    Kudos on noticing an implied question, but the question wasnt "whats the date?" it was "is the date on the signs?".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 darth insidiari

The only problem is that given the overcrowding in the library at this time of year even the simplest things can take more than 30 mins. I've often gone looking for a book/printing out an article/photocopying a chapter etc... and it's always taken a lot longer than it needs to. The photocopy facilities are a particular problem. There just aren't enough of them but it's also the fault of inept people who don't mark the pages they want before hand or can't figure out how to resize a page. Perhaps there should be photocopying tutorials on weekly. It took me a while to get the hang of all the photocopier functions but i didn't decide to figure them out with a 10 person line waiting behind me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭funktastic

Are you sure this has been going on for years? I'm in UCD 6 years and I've never heard of this.There's always been loads of complaining about people going off on 4 hour lunches though.

funktastic wrote:
    Are you sure this has been going on for years? I'm in UCD 6 years and I've never heard of this.There's always been loads of complaining about people going off on 4 hour lunches though.

It was definitely there in 2002/2003.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Def there in 1997 too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭stolenwine

How much more of our dignity do u.c.d library want? :confused: :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

Its such a waste of money... they have them on coloured sheets... COLOURED

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Don't be such an idiot. How should it be that if you take more than 15 minutes for lunch your place should be gone:rolleyes:

Advertisement