Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

applied maths LC 2006 paper

• 07-04-2007 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

hi guys, problem here, question 8b part i,i understand that the principle is total potential and total kinetic at each point is equal but in the marking scheme given here http://www.examinations.ie/archive/markingschemes/2006/LC020ALPO00EV.pdf says we should use h= 0.6 - 0.6cos60 however i based my reference point as the lowest point of the rod and therefor got h=0.9. this gives me a different angular velocity, is my method still correct? would i still get the marks? thanks niall

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 103 ✭✭Robbiethe3rd

the total kinetic and potntial at each point is definitely not equal!

PE1 + KE1 = PE2 + KE2

If thats what you mean; just thought I shhould clarify!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Precision

Although the rod is 1.2 meters long, its centre-of-gravity is at its mid-point.

Since gravity acts in the vertical direction, the value h is the distance in the vertical direction between the location of the centre-of-gravity when the potential energy is at its maximum and when the potential energy is at its minimum.

The potential energy is at its maximum when the rod is at 60 degrees to the vertical.

The potential energy is at its minimum when the rod is vertical.

When the rod is vertical, the centre-of-gravity is 0.6 meters below the pivot in the vertical direction.

When the rod is at 60 degrees to the vertical, then the centre-of-gravity is 0.6cos60 meters below the pivot in the vertical direction.

Therefore the value of h, as defined above is 0.6 - 0.6cos60 meters.

h = 0.6 - 0.6cos60 meters

which is

h = 0.3 meters

Advertisement