Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cant pump petrol at full speed

Options
  • 07-04-2007 4:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

No I don't mean I cant put fuel in my car at 120mph :D , more that I cant squeeze the petrol pump trigger more than about 1/3 of the way before it clicks off. Its not that the tank is full, or its not in one particular petrol station.

Anyone had any problems like this? Its an '98 Opel Vectra B. takes about 5 full minutes to fill €40 petrol.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Cond0r

Sounds to me like you're putting the nozzle in too far into the filler in your car.. try lifting it out a notch or two ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Baraboo

yes I have the same problem with my Diesel. I find if you pull the nozzle about 1/4 of the way out it will allow you to pump at full speed. I do not fill more than about 3/4 of the way full though as I am not sure that the cut off switch on the nozzle will work if it is not fully in.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Baraboo wrote:
    yes I have the same problem with my Diesel. I find if you pull the nozzle about 1/4 of the way out it will allow you to pump at full speed. I do not fill more than about 3/4 of the way full though as I am not sure that the cut off switch on the nozzle will work if it is not fully in.

i often pull the nozzle out a bit to squeeze more petrol in and it still cuts off when it fills up

• Registered Users Posts: 20 bigkev49-2

Yeah ive tried only having the nozzle in about half ways but its the same. Not really a major problem, just a bit annoying really. Cheers for the replies anyway kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭oleras

sounds like an issue with the breather in the tank, more annoying than anything else. just tilt it sideways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Yeah, from my teenage fuel injection techician days I learned that most people experiencing this problem were just holding the nozzle at an angle that caused it to cut off prematurely :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Some cars seem more prone to this than others, probably due to the design of the pipe leading to the fuel tank. The more twists and turns, the more likely there'll be some back pressure that'll cause the switch in the pump to trigger. Also, in my experience, some pumps seem to be set more delicately than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭fasty

I worked in a petrol station during school and college and quickly learned that if you hold the nozzle up it'll click off thanks to backwash. Your best bet is to put the nozzle in and let it rest on the rim and just pump the petrol that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I found with the Rover 620 I had ( and my dads identical accord) that it kept clicking off but if i turned the hose upsidedownthe petrol flew in at full pelt.

Havnt had a problem with the Safrane.

Advertisement