Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving tree?

Options
  • 07-04-2007 5:49pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 186 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm thinking about moving a tree, approx 5 years old. Any chance of keeping it allive? Anthing I should do to improve the chances of keeping it alive?

thanks,
    J

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Irish Gardener

Do you know the species or variety?
    Any pics?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,404 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Landscape gardeners moved a 10 year old Horse Chestnut for me and it has taken well in the new location. AFAIK this species has a deep tap root and is difficult to move as a result, certainly they had to dig a long way down to get it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,588 ✭✭✭✭looksee

What kind of tree is it? How big is it? Height, girth of trunk. When you say five years do you mean 5 years since you bought it? Or 5 years since it started to grow?

Its getting a bit late in the season, but if it hasn't started to come into leaf you may have a chance. Some plants and trees don't like being moved at all. Some - dogwoods, willows, forsythia come to mind - you could almost drag out of the ground and push them in somewhere else and they would grow.

Generally speaking if you can dig a channel round the tree about as far out as the branches spread, water it well and see what roots there are. Work in till you get to serious roots then dig under it to release it from the soil. You will probably have to clip some of the roots. Move it to a large, ready dug hole, let the roots spread out, water well then filter soil into the hole between the roots and over them. Firm down and water again. Anchor with three posts a couple of feet out round the tree and rope (like guy ropes on a tent) to give it chance to root without being blown around. Water regularly (bucketsful, not sprinkles) through the summer.

Its quite hard work and really depends on the things i mentioned above, type, size etc. If you give the information it will probably be possible to say whether its worth trying.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 186 ✭✭jdpl28

It's 5 years since it's been bought and planted. It hasn't leafed this season yet. I'm not too sure what type it is, but its about proably 10 feet tall, and spread is probably about 3-4 feet. Not too much of a spread at all.

I'll give that a try anyway, and thanks for your reply.

Advertisement