Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another NTL problem

Options
  • 07-04-2007 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭

For the past 3 weeks or so my broadband modem normally runs fine for a couple of hours or so and then decides to just flash on the send light continuously and get no broadband from it. Then about 8/10 hours later when I plug in the modem again it decides to work for another few hours and leave me in the dark without any product which I pay for.

When I go into the http://192.168.100.1/BasicLan.htm address I get the following
    RF Parameters
    Downstream
    Frequency Power 10 dBmV
    Signal to Noise Ratio 36 dB Modulation QAM64
    Upstream
    Frequency Power 35 dBmV
    Upstream Data Rate 5120 Ksym/sec Modulation QPSK

Status
    System uptime 0 days 04h:55m:34s
    Computers detected 1
    CM Status Operational
    WAN Isolation OFF
    Time and Date Sat Apr 07 17:52:20 2007

Interface Name : LAN
    Provisioned Enabled State
    Speed 10 Mbps MAC address xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx

Then when I go in to the event log I get the following which I've selected from a range of errors which come up:
    04/07/2007 16.26 68010400 05 DHCP REBIND WARNING - Field invalid in response
    04/07/2007 12.56 82000700 03 Unicast Ranging Received Abort Response - Re- initializing MAC
    04/06/2007 19.46 82000300 03 Init RANGING Critical Ranging Request Retries exhausted
    04/06/2007 19.46 82000200 03 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
    04/06/2007 19.45 84000200 03 SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire FEC framing

NTL promised someone would check it within 48 hours 2 weeks ago and still no sign of anyone. Any suggestions what might be wrong?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Stay on them like a rash. It took them three weeks to fix my connection. In the end the engineer came out and it was miraculously working that day. No reason given.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

meglome wrote:
    Stay on them like a rash. It took them three weeks to fix my connection. In the end the engineer came out and it was miraculously working that day. No reason given.

Yeah that seems to happen quite alot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭dathiultaigh

I had a similar issue like this a few weeks back so they raised a calout for me but then called me maybe a week later to ask was the issue still ocurring. It hadn't so cancelled the callout. I thought it strange but the problem has not come up since maybe they changed something on thier end. I never chaecked the modem setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭kensutz

I tried ringing yesterday not knowing if there was anyone working in the call center but no one answered. As soon as the call ended the modem worked again.

Weird..........

Once again it dies. NTL will be getting a piece of my mind on Tuesday.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

while we're on about ntl.. has anyone else's torrents gone to muck on ntl the past couple of months?
    talkin like from 10-40kb downloads with a few thousand leechers, they put some sort of block on?

Lenny wrote:
    while we're on about ntl.. has anyone else's torrents gone to muck on ntl the past couple of months?
    talkin like from 10-40kb downloads with a few thousand leechers, they put some sort of block on?

There's been threads about this over the past few weeks

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

was trying to use the search function wasn't working.. and been reading up a bit the must have slipped me!

I think there's a lot of problems with NTL at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Razorfish

I had the same problem which started on Wednesday of this week. The ready light on the modem would flash or go off and so no broadband.

I phoned NTL/UPC which nowadays is an exercise in futility. Their so called technical support knew nothing about anything. They said I must have a loose connection! (Yea, a screw loose for sticking with their so called broadband service).

I have a technician coming this Thursday. I pray they send somebody who actually knows something.

My theory which has been mentioned here before is that UPC has taken on too many broadband and now voice customers onto a network that cannot support it. Any takers in this theory!

• Advertisement

did a search there.. the topics i got weren't of much help.. was really only one..
    i am thinking of going from the max package to the lowest now as its not worth paying the price for the max when I an go on the low and download the torrents at the speed I'm getting now..,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

Razorfish wrote:
    I phoned NTL/UPC which nowadays is an exercise in futility. Their so called technical support knew nothing about anything. They said I must have a loose connection! (Yea, a screw loose for sticking with their so called broadband service).

Yeah I rang last week about slow download speeds and they were supposed to call me back... Of course, they didn't. :mad:
    Razorfish wrote:
    My theory which has been mentioned here before is that UPC has taken on too many broadband and now voice customers onto a network that cannot support it. Any takers in this theory!

Possibly, although they should have plenty of bandwidth on the cable they have laid. Voice calls take feck all bandwidth, and they seemed to be flying when they had the 10mbit trials not so long ago. My theory is that their traffic shaping and routing problems are causing massive problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

For the last few weeks my connection has been up and down so much:mad: Tonight its so bad so slow. I hate NTL so much. Am in Waterford

mickger wrote:
    For the last few weeks my connection has been up and down so much:mad: Tonight its so bad so slow. I hate NTL so much. Am in Waterford

Mine came back at 7pm and working non stop since. Bet the same thing will happen tomorrow. Disappear about 12pm and come back around 7pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

mickger wrote:

Yeah - it's really bad alright:rolleyes: .:D Am also in Waterford.:)

NTLApril10th.jpg

111218709.png

just did a test, although whether I have been connected or not for the past few days is a flip of teh coin. Also I know a few people in waterford who are getting ****e service,alot worse then me, one guy in particular has had NTL for a month and the longest time he's had it running for without goingn down is 3 days!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭koloughlin

I have NTL in Galway and it's mostly good. Had a problem a couple of weeks back where every afternoon it would go out for an hour. The pattern of it dying and coming back definitely looked like it was on the NTL side, but I rang them about it in any case. The lady I spoke with in customer service wasn't aware of any problem. I got a call back from a guy on the broadband team a couple of days later and he knew that they had been doing planned maintenance on the Galway network during the times I was out of service. Mystery solved!

I don't have any problem with them doing maintenance. It would be nice though if there was a web page with their maintenance schedule so you knew when service would go out. I work from home, so I could plan to do something else while they're taking the network down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭l3rian

ntl been a load of shjte for the last 5 days in dublin

Phoned them up yesterday, within half an hour it was back to normal. Well depends on what normal is for NTL services.

111634016.png

• Advertisement

Wow it seems that us people from waterford are getting much better pings now. Mine used to be well over 100ms.

111683825.png

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭gibson

I havent experienced problems with slow torrent files but I have had a very frustrating time with NTL. My modem gets good speeds as does my brothers wireless connection for his laptop (although i cant seem to get good speeds for his torrents but i just thought that was to do with a firewall).

The problem is though I could be on a site and click a link and the page wouldnt load. Id try go to google, page wouldnt load. The connection basically just shuts down out of the blue and the only way I can get it to work again is if I shut down my computer, unplug the modem for around 10-20 seconds and then start everything up again.

This usually solves the problem but sometimes after restarting everything it still wouldnt come back up.

Ive rang so many times and theyve basically done nothing. I rang a few weeks ago when there seemed to be a big problem with it - i had restarted everythign 3 times and its still wouldnt work, left it for a few hours still wouldnt work. All they could do was log a call for engineer.......for a months time :eek: :mad:

what the hell? a month to get an engineer out???

Is there any alternative to NTL at the same price or near enough? At least with the connection it doesnt seem to have limitations like other broadband providers. There maybe limits for new customers but when i joined there wasnt any and i havent been billed any different any months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

ntl are a pile of sh1te. They still havn't billed me properly for ANYTHING. I haven't paid any bills for a few months now as they're still at it. Shower of miscreants

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

how is your latency better than mine ? i'm in dublin ;

111922423.png

It must be the time of the day that its done at. Normally I woulod get about 150 ms. I just got a good ping again,

112170296.png

Also .by the way can you guys get to the page after you login here?

http://edit.profiles.yahoo.com/config/edit_identity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 MattE

about a month ago my ntl signal kept dropping, every single morning it would be gone, or u'd be using it during the day, then bang; & the old 'ready' light would flash away. powering everthing down & restarted worked the 1st few times but then couldnt get it goin at all. thought it was something 2 with the wireless network i had set up that month, so disconnected everything & just tried 2 get the modem going. still the same problems, constantly disconnecting. rang ntl, they sent engineer out, i wasnt at home when he came but he said "sumtin" was too high. works perfectly now though. so if any1 else is havin a problem similar just try get NTL out too look at it asap

Advertisement