Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Those gypsies

Options
  • 07-04-2007 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭

Im expecting a bit of a lash back from this posting but I need to post it anyway just to release so of the frustration!
    Has anyone noticed the overwhelming influx of Romanian scumbags into Galway city?! And before the racist card is whipped out and waved in my face by people, I'm talking bout the real gypsy scum now,not the hard working genuine Romanians that are out there.
    There are several related families who live in close proximatey to my own house and they cause nothing but hassle for my parents,there own neighbours and the rest of the community in the neighbourhood.They just treat this country like an open buffet,taking all they can,scamming us and then complaining if we try to stand up to them.
    Now amongst the bad there is the good,my direct neighbour and his family are also Romanian but he works hard,offers us a lift to town whenever he's heading in etc and we never have any trouble with them at all,bottle of wine at christmas from his family even!.
    The main trouble I find is with the Gypsies which the crowd near my house most definately are,they dont work at all,make little effort to integrate better into the neghbourhood by showing a bit of respect or courtasy and are nothing but loud and vulgar towards there neighbours.
    For christ sake I saw one intown only today begging because he had one arm....but he could afford Nike Air trainers and Armani jeans...and when no-one was paying attention he upped and headed to the bookies!
    I even read on a forum posting on Politics.ie that a female Garda officer was squirted in the Face with breast milk by one of the gypsies..
    Bascially after my rant I would like some opinions if anyone has any on what to do if they cause hassle for my family again (and I dont mean walking over and threatening them as they are probably 60+ strong between the 4 families combined) I mean on a legal standing.
    Also I would be interested in any other Galwegians experiences...(good or bad to be fair) with the Romanians who have come to our Town.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Sorry, Double posted,if mods could delete one...

I hate those ones that beg. Most of the time they're wearing really expensive clothes. There was actually one family that had been arrested for begging at a certain area, even though they were relatively well off.

There's one lad in Eyre Square. He goes around handing out these leaflets, with some sob story about leukemia and some brother, then asks for them back. Has anybody encountered him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭King.Penguin

You can delete your own posts.

What exactly is the problem? What kind of harassment is it?

I think it's important for you to distinguish between Romanians and Roma gypsies . If you're going to be terribly rascist please try and be a bit more specific.

What I want to know is, who would win in a fight? A caravan load of Romas or a caravan load of irish travellers?

There definately Roma Gypsies the bad crowd,the decent neighbour beside me and his family are ordinary Romanians who treat us very well and as equals, ie.they bring our bins to our gates just to be neighbourly,a lift to town if its wet etc, the little things that make the difference.

You can delete your own posts.

What exactly is the problem? What kind of harassment is it?

I think it's important for you to distinguish between Romanians and Roma gypsies . If you're going to be terribly rascist please try and be a bit more specific.

What I want to know is, who would win in a fight? A caravan load of Romas or a caravan load of irish travellers?

I don't see how he's being racist as such. That claim is made all too often nowadays. If you re-read his post, you can see he distinguishes between the pair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

I'm sure you're on about the same Roma Gypsies that kept shoving a copy of The Big Issue under my nostrils as i walked down shop street today, they can be more anoying than the chuggers, well on second thoughts i hate chuggers more!

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Duras

Those Romanians that you are talking about are not actually Romanians... As you say they are gypsies borned - maybe - in Romania. Gypsies are all over Eastern Europe, not only in Romania, so what makes you thing that they are actually Romanians?

Oh, and whatever their nationality is... I hate them... and I also hate that IDIOT that gave this people refugee status... I can imagine their chat:
    Gypsy Horde: "Help us Irish Governemt, our tricks don't work any more in Romania, people are poor there, there is nothing to steal from them!"
    Irish Gov: "Oh, that's just terrible, those Romanians are so evil... Walking around with empty pockets so you poor creatures have nothing to rob... Come to Ireland, we will offer you what you need".

There definately Romanians alright,we have Polish and Lithuanians in our area too ,none as bad as this crowd and they don't associate with them either,as long as emigrants work or make an attempt to work and try to make something of the opportunity the Irish government gave them I dont mind !

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

As with any group, there are Roma and there are Roma. I teach many children from the Roma community and those from families who have a history of working do not want to be seen as having anything to do with the begging fraternity.

Not all Roma gypsies are beggars. Not all Romanians are Roma gypsies.

Not all Irish are terrorists, not all Irish are drunks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 lisnageragh

The joys of our open door immigration policy.

Anyone see the news today about TB increasing because of immigrants!

Its time we shut the door and started restricting who we let into Ireland!

• Advertisement

I agree. It's becoming a joke. Maybe not for the whole country, but definately restrict immigration into galway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Fracture

I hope ya all dont think im bein a bit too drastic by saying this but i would love to get them all shot, they are nothing but pure scum bags. I work in a bar in town and they beg every night outside it. They are like bloody hyenas praying on the weak people in the crowd.
    I seen them trying to mug a guy one night, he was a bit on the drunk side and was leaning up aginst the wall, they sorrounded him and two of the were routing through his back pockets while 2 others talked to him, so i started to shout at them and told them if they didnt p**s off i was going to phone the guards. The young one (i think she is about 14) blocked me off from getting they guy out of there and started to mock me. So...i pushed her out of the way and pushed the other one's and told the guy to go home, and he did.
    The thought of them makes my blood boil.
    Btw im not racist but these particular one's need to be kicked out of the country and put back to whatever run down halting site they came from.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Had one try to hop the counter in work today when my co-worker was in the back. They didn't see me, so when I walked in behind the counter again, instead of being shocked they started laughing and winking at the me.

The bastards were taunting me... I was fúckin livid!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Our lazy Galway guards will do nothing . They are all doing traffic nowadays .

The only way to get the guards to reprioritise their arses is if you report every single antisocial/illegal activity , formally, down the station.

Then it is official and then they have to do something. Dont matter where the scumbags come from, scumbags are scumbags and our home grown variety is the same .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Notorious BIG

One of the women who sells the big issue has gold teeth, she cant be that poor:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Hmm, this post has been reported, but I feel like it's an important issue in reguards to Galway. There certainly a danger of criminality from the gypsies, and we certainly cannot gloss over the issue, delete it, or pretend the problem doesn't exist.

I know it's been said a few times already, but it's also important to note that Romanian does not equal Gypsy. Having been to Romania myself, and having some friends here in Ireland who are Romanian, they're fine people.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Duras

About restricting access to the wrong people... this policy sort of existed and is nothing but trouble... I can tell you from my own experience... I'm a Romanian IT professional, I received a job offer in Galway in December 2003. It took 6 months for the paper work to be "processed". I had been in Ireland previously with student or business visas, so one can presume that the Irish officials already "checked my background". It took 6 more months to bring my wife with me in Ireland.

Why telling you this story? Just want to point out that for a regular, lawful Romanian coming to Ireland, either for a job or for entertainment, used to be overkill.

On the contrary, for others, coming to Ireland was pretty easy: they claimed they have been ostracized in Romania, they got asylum status and then they brought over their relatives.

This is maybe the explanation of the unrealistic proportion: Gypsy-Romanian scumbags vs "regular Romanians". Hopefully, now that we also joined the Union, the proportion will be more realistic, and the "regular Romanians" will come to visit. This way you will understand that Romanians and "Roma" Gypsies are anything but alike.

From all people, me and the other Romanians from Galway hate this people the most as they ruin our image. Not once happened to me or my wife to get funny looks when we said where we are from. And this - I tell you - hurts.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Quite a lot of Roma from Romania came in to Ireland in 2000-2003 and claimed that they were persecuted in Romania to get asylum. Most Irish peoples experience of Romanians has been with this asylum seeking cohort . Its the same in many western european countries .

I know one Romanian who claims to be Moldovan to avoid 'problems' he feels he may encounter (much of Moldova was part of Romania pre WW2 an dis ethnically Romanian)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 389 ✭✭Jamey

The woman who kneels down with some sign in her hand on the road into NUIG every morning is the one who makes my blood boil. Most of us are poor students, we're not going to give you anything like!!

And it must be against the law of the college for her to be there? Where's the security when shes there begging to all the students walking past...

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

We could arrange that fight to happen over 2 legs on the new eyre square as a home venue for the Roma's and the 2nd leg out at the halting site on the Headford road....Shall we start the bidding fot the CCTV footage at €500k?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Jamey wrote:
    The woman who kneels down with some sign in her hand on the road into NUIG every morning is the one who makes my blood boil. Most of us are poor students, we're not going to give you anything like!!

And it must be against the law of the college for her to be there? Where's the security when shes there begging to all the students walking past...

Heh, next time just say 'Sucky Sucky' and see what she says.

Fcuking gyppo's throw the lot of them in the Corrib TBH, they'll be good food for the salmon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I hate the lazy racism, or more accurately xenophobia, that I see in Irish society these days. It makes me really angry when I hear people talking about the bloody nigerians or the poles or whatever, it makes me feel like we are refusing to stand our round, if you know what I mean.

BUT

I don't think the op's post is a demonstration of that. I have a big problem with the roma population over here. I don't see them as a nationality - I see them as a gang. I know a lot of the so-called "New Irish", and what strikes me is how much they love this country, how they respect it, and how proud they are to be identified as Irish. I don't believe that the Roma community have any intention of contributing to society - the ones that I have encountered only want to take from it. People I know who work in social services have told me that there are numerous cases of children being sedated while their parents beg with them, and ever since then, you can't help but notice that they seem to have VERY quiet four/five/six year olds. It's not fair on these kids, and if the government are serious about letting them stay, they have a duty to come down hard on them, and stamp out their apparent culture of being career beggars. Honestly, in the long run, i believe thats the best solution for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭chris_oc

not racist but theres one group of foreignors who REALLY REALLY GRIND MY GEARS and they're the ones who sell the roses outside clubs or around supermacs after a nite out!oh my god,theyre the most irratating people alive,first of they annoy you by continuosly asking you again and again if you want to buy a rose and secondly!..it makes you look seriously bad if you pull a girl and you refuse to buy a rose for her!!!!:p

anyone with me on this,im sure most of yee have seen them?!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭el Bastardo

Those feckers selling roses have been in Germany for far longer than they have here (the trick is to take the rose and thank them profusely, without paying them for it).

Romas are hated all over Europe. I've heard stories from Romanians, Hungarians, Czechs, Slovaks, Germans etc of the various scams they got up to during communist times. Suffice to say, they were and still are hated and are maltreated with good reason. Of course, the result of this is that they can then claim asylum elsewhere... and do the same thing all over again! I think that people are too nice to them here (ever seen people giving the roma lady-beggars their spare change - I have!).
    chris_oc wrote:
    not racist but theres one group of foreignors who REALLY REALLY GRIND MY GEARS and they're the ones who sell the roses outside clubs or around supermacs after a nite out!oh my god,theyre the most irratating people alive,first of they annoy you by continuosly asking you again and again if you want to buy a rose and secondly!..it makes you look seriously bad if you pull a girl and you refuse to buy a rose for her!!!!:p

anyone with me on this,im sure most of yee have seen them?!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

We talked to a beggar the other day, questioning about why he wanted the money. Kept questioning until the story ended up that his brother was in hospital in Romania and he wanted to break him out. When we asked him why he wanted him out of a good place like a hospital, he asked us to buy 9 roses. He wasn't even selling roses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

all those posting about shooting/drowning : cop yerselves on. Thats the reason why we can't have a debate about this on boards - ye take one extreme, and other posters (occasionally me) feel they have to take the other extreme. The romas do what they do because that's how they were brought up. If any of us were brought up the same way, we'd be the same, don't kid yerselves. The cycle has to be broken tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

tbh wrote:
    all those posting about shooting/drowning : cop yerselves on. Thats the reason why we can't have a debate about this on boards - ye take one extreme, and other posters (occasionally me) feel they have to take the other extreme. The romas do what they do because that's how they were brought up. If any of us were brought up the same way, we'd be the same, don't kid yerselves. The cycle has to be broken tho.

That's moving, really.

Now drown the fcukers :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

tbh wrote:
    it makes me feel like we are refusing to stand our round, if you know what I mean.
    We owe exactly fack all to anyone, as a nation. The only body to which we might conceivably be indebted would be the European Union (see all those blue signs with a ring of gold stars on all the public works?), and even they are basically using us as a poster child to bring the rest of Europe together, so we don't owe them a lot either.
    tbh wrote:
    ...the so-called "New Irish"
    And there is a significant difference between migrant and immigrant workers, which will become exceedingly clear should the country ever return to economically hard times.

To keep it more or less on-topic, to be honest the Roma gypsies are more of a nuisance than any serious threat to anyone's security. Thats why they have survived this long. I'd be far more concerned about certain elements of the Russian community here in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Fracture

I cant imagine this thread staying open for very long, i'll give it another few days :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭soundbyte

I'd be far more concerned about certain elements of the Russian community here in Galway.

Do you mean Russian or former Eastern Bloc in general? If it's the latter, I know what you mean. Unfortunately, not all of them are here to work hard.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement