Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Those gypsies

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

We owe exactly fack all to anyone, as a nation.

eaten bread is soon forgotten. What annoys me about the Irish attitude is that we want to be seen as a modern nation, able to take our place on the world stage, as good as any other country - as long as it doesn't cost us one red cent. Ye might as well forget that attitude lads, These people are here to stay, whether you like it or not. We owe it to them - AND US - to make the system fair for everybody. I suppose what I'm saying is, Don't hate the player, hate the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

tbh wrote:
    eaten bread is soon forgotten.
    Can you let me know who, besides the EU and maybe the US, has given the nation of Ireland any bread to eat and be forgotten? I mean lets get into specifics here.

I'll tell you one thing, there are a few other countries have given Ireland a meal or two that its to our tremendous credit that we have forgiven, if not forgotten. I mean the population still hasn't recovered to its mid 19th century levels, for christs sake.
    tbh wrote:
    What annoys me about the Irish attitude is that we want to be seen as a modern nation, able to take our place on the world stage, as good as any other country - as long as it doesn't cost us one red cent.
    What modern nation would that be, the ones going around bombing the crap out of the other modern nations, or the other ones enslaving their populations to be able to produce trade goods at knock down prices, or the ones whipping up their people into a religious fervour in order to survive being bombed back to the stone age? You might want to take a good, long, hard look at your role models there.

Lets run through even enlightened Europe here, the guiding light of the modern world; Germany, racial discrimination, riiight... France, speak French or die, okay, good... Holland, one of the most restrictive immigration policies in the world, and still the screws tighten... Sweden, had nothing less than a forced eugenics program to ensure racial purity not forty years ago, splendid, the UK, ghetto-ised cities and institutionalised discrimination, their own minorities blowing up their train stations, well done there lads. I could go on and on and on.

What you really mean is we should be more like star trek.

The most remarkable thing for me, as an observer, is the absoloutely incredible amount of restraint and courtesy the native Irish have shown with regards to their guests, compared to other countries. If we do manage to pull off a reasonably integrated society, we'll be the first.
    tbh wrote:
    Ye might as well forget that attitude lads, These people are here to stay, whether you like it or not.
    Of course, thats why the oul' western union has never been busier. :rolleyes:
    tbh wrote:
    We owe it to them - AND US - to make the system fair for everybody. I suppose what I'm saying is, Don't hate the player, hate the game.
    ... and piously mouthing pc platitudes with no real meaning outside of the latest hollywood feelgood blockbuster isn't really of much use either. We don't owe anyone a damn thing. This is our home, and we make up the rules to suit ourselves, which is why the "born on Irish soil" law was recently revoked. Thats how it is, same as for everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Surprised no-one mentioned the children (usually on shop-street) who have tin-whistles/accordions and don't have a damn clue how to play them, just making noise. That really annoys me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Tuneless kids playing in the centre is a long term tradition in Galway to circumvent begging laws . We always had a few of these around. Bad as they are there is no aesthetic prequalification to be a busker ( except on the London Underground) .

As they are playing the game the way its always been played I say good on them even though they cannot play :p

No laws being broken .

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭electro.ie

There was no racism in Ireland until them bloody foriegners arrived!

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I don't like the beggers/rose people as they won't give up. Probably they're learning from the chuggers.

Had one gypsy(?) ring the door, when I opened he gave me a card with some sob story on it. Anyway I just handed the card back and said sorry and closed the door. Fecking cheek of him, calling to the door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

I cannot believe both the racism and ethnic hatred appearing in this post.

And to think that some of are in the Uni or GMIT and you can't even form a proper argument without resorting to descriptions of violence or juvenile name-calling.

They really do give out degrees to any sort of fool these days.

Bloody disgrace some of you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭the-furbo

One of the women who sells the big issue has gold teeth, she cant be that poor:confused:
    Ya they always have gold teeth...what the hell! I also saw one women avec le gold teeth begging with a baby in a buggy for effect only.....it was a doll, a baby born to be precise, I only noticed bacause it was totally white and didnt look very much like a romanian baby!

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Duras

the-furbo wrote:
    Ya they always have gold teeth...what the hell!
    They start with gold teeth and end up building gold mansions... All from begging in Western Europe... The Gypsies as Indians have a passion for golden shiny things.
    the-furbo wrote:
    it was totally white and didnt look very much like a romanian baby!
    Now what is that supposed to mean? Since when do you know how a Romanian baby looks like... This quote is a bit naive not to say idiotic... :mad:

Confusing Gypsies with Romanians is as bad as saying that Irish are the Nigerian community living on the smaller British island.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

In hopes of keeping the thread from being locked, has anyone but the OP any positive experiences of immigrants? Personally, I have but one. My own experiences are mostly negative, but tbh they've all been posted already by others; begging, theft, antisocial behavior. My mam is a great fan of hiring Eastern European people to iron clothes, work in the garden etc. Poles mostly, but some Slovakians, and a HOT check girl. One polish guy, a priest, worked landscaping our garden for a week, delivered papers, washed dishes in a pub, and i na restaurant somewhere else. That was about 18 months ago. About a month ago I caught a cab, a two year old Camry, and it was him driving it. Nice to see some hard graft and a good attitude paying off.

Anyone else have any positive experiences?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

kraggy wrote:

And to think that some of are in the Uni or GMIT and you can't even form a proper argument without resorting to descriptions of violence or juvenile name-calling.

They really do give out degrees to any sort of fool these days.

Bloody disgrace some of you.

Hmm... It's quite ironic that people on boards can spew the most vile hatred with reguards to the likes of our skangers and various criminal types, yet speak about anyone from another country in a negative light, and the 'Holier than thou' types come preaching their righteous indignation about "Racism" and such nonsense.

So there you have it, if a roma gypsie hops over the counter where you work, you're the fool, and you're full of ethnic hatred. :rolleyes:

Clearly you should've helped them to some of the goods that they hopped over the counter to get. Wouldn't want to be thought of as racist, would you?

I've edited the thread title to avoid any further complications.

Gypsy does not equal Romanian, and we should try not to confuse the two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

kraggy wrote:

Why?,do you believe that only people in Uni or GMIT are the only people capable of a proper argument?

kraggy wrote:

Why?,do you believe that people in Uni or GMIT are the only people capable of a proper argument?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Have to agree with you there Karl, there does seem to be a softly softly approach to complaining about foreigners as everyone jumps to the conclusion that your the next Hitler.....
    I wish it was the case that Romanian Gypsies who come over here would work hard,integrate into the society and contribute to it but it seems that its a fact that they don't, going on the general experiences of the previous posters. Galway is a a very diverse city with many ethnicities to be found here but I'm afraid to admit I would like to see less Roma's being allowed access to this city and country as a whole, and until I have a postivite experience with them I believe this will be my view for a while.

Hmm... It's quite ironic that people on boards can spew the most vile hatred with reguards to the likes of our skangers and various criminal types, yet speak about anyone from another country in a negative light, and the 'Holier than thou' types come preaching their righteous indignation about "Racism" and such nonsense.
    Indeed, it is my policy to spew vile hatred with regards to everyone, equally... a much more equitable view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭CrazyPJ

30 years ago the same anti-racist bullying happened in england and anyone who expressed reservations about mass immigration was ostrasized. Now in england we have a multi-cultural nighmare on our hands. If you get your info from sky news etc then you will not find any truth spoken about race. Except that racism is bad. I hung with west indian peoples in the seventies when I lived cheek by jowl and I have discovered that skin color is a mere superficial difference between us. However the die has been cast and it cant be reversed. In my eyes and many people I know have seen the same dynamics at work in the former Yugoslavia when Tito told all the ethnics to get along and we saw the result of that. Its all great as long as the money is rolling in. But what will happen if there is an economic colapse as surely there will be. And Ireland has only experienced the first wave of mass emigration. Prettty soon you will be second class citizens in your own country. Ahhhhhh.. remember the NICE trety. ohhhh yeah .. wrong answer

good luck

I was in Shop Street earlier and one of those idiots comes up to me with a Big Issue. She looks at me before approaching and I shake my head. She comes up to me. I say, No. She walks closer to me. I once again say no. She comes up to me with the blasted magazine and basically pushes it in my face and I swear, I wanted to grab the damned thing and slap her with it.

To whoever said bout the group who sell the roses; the people who sell the roses, the people with the big issues, the people with the begging- they all belong in the same group. I know this because I saw them all together. Hell, that Big Issues woman was standing right outside a church in town trying to sell to people walking out. That got me so annoyed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭singloud

Theres a lot of Czechs over here and once a teacher started a debate in philosophy about racism, the Czechs were all saying how awful racism is but the minute the teacher mentioned the Roma(he lived in Czech republic for a few years) the Czechs started spouting the usual stuff people say about reviled groups.The Roma are despised around eastern europe, one Slovak guy talks enthusiastically about 'Gypsy bashing'

But Political correctness annoys me. IF we were all PC can you imagine how anodyne the world would be? Who cares, there's a huge difference between making a joke and being offensive. There's so much political correctness around it annoys the hell outta me.Theres a gay guy here who I defended from Bullies in class a couple of times, honestly the guy acts like he got his ideas of homosexuality from a movie, he's camp as hell. Anyhow, he was talking loudly to me about how someone gave a comment for his year book, I asked him if it was the Black guy. He accused me of racism. Damn kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Duras

At on of the entrances from a metro station, there was a gypsy old woman selling peanuts for €2 the portion. This young, intelligent, anti-racist and Samaritan fellow was passing by every morning. He was always giving the woman €2 but never taking the peanuts.
    One morning, the guy gave the woman €2 as usual and was going to walk away. The woman stopped him.
    - I suppose you want to ask me why I always give you €2 and never take the peanuts, the young man said.
    - Oh no, I just want to tell you that the peanuts are €3 from now on, the gypsy woman replied.

This story may not be real but is realistic. If you offer money to the gypsy beggars don’t expect gratitude. What you should expect is that they take you for an idiot and try to get the most out of you.

P.S.
    Thanks Karl for changing the thread title.

• Advertisement

Duras wrote:
    P.S.
    Thanks Karl for changing the thread title.

No bother.

Like I've said, I've been to Romania myself, and it's quite beautiful. The vast majority of Romanian people I've met (And know here in Ireland) are good people, and they couldn't be further from the roma gypsies, so the thread title is pretty much a big insult to the Romanian people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Fracture

I dunno if this deserves its own thread or not but since this thread is on a similar tune can i ask did anyone see what happened in Karma nightclub on sunday night?
    As far as i know the place was full of foreign people and members of the travelling community. Anway a few people from Russia were asked to calm down a few times by bouncers for running around bare chested and dancing on tables etc, but these guys quickly told the bouncers to F**k off, so they were asked to leave, but the russian guys decided to punch one of the bouncers and a whole riot started, aparently all the staff from bouncers to floor staff were trying to control a huge fight which ahd around 30 people in it. My flatmate was there and said that the travellers started a seperate fight at the other end of the night club, this is when 10 Garda arrived at the scene. The guards then got pounced on by a huge crowd of russians + travellers, when it all got controlled a group of people were arrested etc, word has it that 4 of the russian guys had no papers to be in the country (thus explaining why they were willing to fight their way outside to get away) and were also trained kickboxers and Thai boxers.

Now the thing i keep asking myself is this kind of thing going to be more common in this country? Because in my eyes there is an increasing number of people comming into this country who left their own country because they are either on the run or realise what a soft approach we have to what we call "bad behavour".

Admins feel free to delete this post if you think its a bit border line racist or anything :) i dont mean for it to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

I havnt spent much time in galway in a long time cause ive been in Oz..

But im back living in sligo and there seems to have been a large increase in foreigners in the town including Romanians. Do i care? Not in the least. I just dont talk to beggars i just ignore them. If someone tries to force a magazine in my face i take it from them and walk for a few metres and put it on the ground or wall without saying a word. We need to make the ability to be a career begger very difficult and get these people to work. Any job will do and if they refuse to work a job they have been offered they must leave the country. Work & Contribute to this country or leave.

Ive seen alot of foreigners working. So you cant generalise a race just because something bad is happening in a particular part of the country.

Ive also heard the complaint, "the romanians are putting all the trades people out of business because they are doing all the work for cheaper".
    Congrats to them i say. They are willing to put the work in for less money. They see that irish trades people are charging a fortune for the work that they can do for less and are capatalising on it. Its called free economy.

I do agree with the point that the process of entering the country should be made alot more difficult. They MUST set terms for being able to stay in the country. example. Working for a certain number of taxable weeks in the first year. Bringing a qualification/skill into the country. Having goals.

Also im very happy with the number of HOT ladies they have entered this town. The quality was pretty dire to say the least. New blood is what this country needs.

Fracture wrote:
    word has it that 4 of the russian guys had no papers to be in the country (thus explaining why they were willing to fight their way outside to get away) and were also trained kickboxers and Thai boxers.
    As I said, we have a lot more to be worried about in this town than a few professional beggars.

So there you have it, if a roma gypsie hops over the counter where you work, you're the fool, and you're full of ethnic hatred. :rolleyes:

Clearly you should've helped them to some of the goods that they hopped over the counter to get. Wouldn't want to be thought of as racist, would you?

And where exactly did i "spew the most vile hatred" Karl? Please point it out.

I do not believe in protecting other ethic groups simply because they are in the minority. But i cannot tolerate the mass generalisations and violent and disgusting comments that have appeared in this thread.

@Padi89: Where exactly did i say that only Uni or Gmit people can make an argument? You obviously cannot read.

I merely expressed my surprise at the fact that Uni or Gmi people could resort to violent and idiotic ideas when it comes to "what we should do with these gypos" considering the same people are supposedly educated and in receipt of further education.

You call these part of a constructive, mature discussion?:

1. Heh, next time just say 'Sucky Sucky' and see what she says.

Fcuking gyppo's throw the lot of them in the Corrib TBH, they'll be good food for the salmon!

2. They start with gold teeth and end up building gold mansions... All from begging in Western Europe...

3. I hope ya all dont think im bein a bit too drastic by saying this but i would love to get them all shot, they are nothing but pure scum bags.

………finished with “Btw im not racist but these particular one's need to be kicked out of the country and put back to whatever run down halting site they came from.”

There are great and terrible people in all races and indeed ethnic groups. However, to paint any one particular group with the same brush is both unacceptable and the sign of an uneducated mind.

kraggy wrote:
    And where exactly did i "spew the most vile hatred" Karl? Please point it out.

Only if you point out where I said that you said that first.

Because in actuality, I never even alluded to you spewing hatred at all. The very words I used was "People on boards" and this does not refer to you. No, infact, when I mentioned "Holier than thou types" I was refering to you. ;)

But seriously, look at any thread about "Scumbags" on After Hours or any other forum here, and you'll see far worse things being said than anything in this thread.

Only if you point out where I said that you said that first.

Because in actuality, I never even alluded to you spewing hatred at all. The very words I used was "People on boards" and this does not refer to you. No, infact, when I mentioned "Holier than thou types" I was refering to you. ;)

But seriously, look at any thread about "Scumbags" on After Hours or any other forum here, and you'll see far worse things being said than anything in this thread.

You quoted me and then went on to say "Hmm... It's quite ironic that people on boards can spew the most vile hatred with reguards to the likes of our skangers and various criminal types..."

I think it was fair enough for me to take it that you were referring to me.

No offence taken so.

K.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

I get alot of lovely non-irish people in work, mainly Brazilians, Poles, Russians etc. They are polite and speak a small bit of English (enough to converse at a basic level)

Power to them says I. They work, they adapt, they fit in.

Then you have some people, living here 4 months and no English!? Not even a bit, except for "Hello, Merry Christmas you buy!!!!" They make no effort to adapt but are happy toting around a doped up baby begging.

I'm just so angry, that any kind of problem or altercation with these type of people is seen as unjust and racist. When was the last time that you saw a Gypsie in the courts section in the Advertiser?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Fracture

kraggy wrote:
    You call these part of a constructive, mature discussion?:

2. They start with gold teeth and end up building gold mansions... All from begging in Western Europe...

Its funny how i seen them leaving the front of cuba the other night in a merc.
    These people must be accountants by day and beggars by night.
    kraggy wrote:
    3. I hope ya all dont think im bein a bit too drastic by saying this but i would love to get them all shot, they are nothing but pure scum bags.
    scum bags are scum bags. Where ever they are from. btw it was me who said that above (just to let ya know).
    kraggy wrote:
    ………finished with “Btw im not racist but these particular one's need to be kicked out of the country and put back to whatever run down halting site they came from.”

Well why should they be allowed to stay in the country if they are not contributing to anything? ohh wait they are filling the job vacancys in the begging market....:rolleyes: im standing by with what i said.
    kraggy wrote:
    There are great and terrible people in all races and indeed ethnic groups. However, to paint any one particular group with the same brush is both unacceptable and the sign of an uneducated mind.

I agree, but its not completely true in some cases.

• Advertisement

kraggy wrote:

@Padi89: Where exactly did i say that only Uni or Gmit people can make an argument? You obviously cannot read.

I merely expressed my surprise at the fact that Uni or Gmi people could resort to violent and idiotic ideas when it comes to "what we should do with these gypos" considering the same people are supposedly educated and in receipt of further education.

I can read just, fine thank you.You dont learn about gypos in college or have any interaction with them so dont expect someone to have an "educated" opinion on them just because they are in college.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement