Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opening Rabodirect account - copy or original bank statement needed?

Options
  • 07-04-2007 7:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭

I'm about to send off the forms to open a Rabodirect account, they also want a copy of my passport, an original current account statement, an original tax statement and an original credit card statement. Would a scanned copy of the three statements do, or do they actually require the real original statements?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I believe they require the real documents. They return them however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 RaboDirect

BuffyBot wrote:
    I believe they require the real documents. They return them however.

This is correct. We must received original documentation. Photocopies or scans of utility, bank statements etc will not suffice. A photocopy of your passport or driving license is fine. When your account is opened we'll return all of your original documentation to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

Thanks guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

What is meant by a tax statement? Have often thought of opening a Rabo account and will have some free cash soon.

We are obliged by Revenue to request applicants to provide proof of their tax status arising from the Finance Act 2004, ie, an official document with your PPS Number issued by Revenue or the Minister for Social and Family Affairs.
    Documents that can be used included a P60, Tax Credit Cert, C2 Cert etc.

If you don't have an original document you can still proceed with your application by by ticking the 'No' box on the relevant part of the online application form - Tax Status - to the question asking whether or not you can provide one of the documents above.

The Account Opening Wizard (as we call it!) steps you through the documents you need so just the follow the prompts and you'll be fine. Please remember that all documents must be originals except for the photcopy of your passport or driving license.

Trust this helps.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Just to clarify whats required is

Original -
    Recent bank statement
    Recent tax credit cert/P60 etc
    Recent utility bill
    Drivers licence or passport (copyi)

Mike.

Mike65 - correct.

Please make sure that the bank statement and utility bills were issued within the last 6 months. We'll return the docs to you within 7 working days. If you proceed with your application you will receive your Digibox with your Digipass and your Customer Number. A fews days later you will receive your PIN code for your Digipass which you will need to change to a 5 digit number of your choice.

Regards,
    RaboDirect

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

My mother is thinking of moving her money from a low paying building society account, and I suggested Rabo to her, but looking at the documentation requirements I'm not so sure it's feasible. She's in her 60s and hasn't worked for nearly 40 years, so doesn't have any sort of tax certs, and as far as I know all the utility bills are in my father's name. What can she do in this case to satisfy the requirements?

zaph wrote:
    My mother is thinking of moving her money from a low paying building society account, and I suggested Rabo to her, but looking at the documentation requirements I'm not so sure it's feasible. She's in her 60s and hasn't worked for nearly 40 years, so doesn't have any sort of tax certs, and as far as I know all the utility bills are in my father's name. What can she do in this case to satisfy the requirements?

Zaph,
    Your mother's situation is not uncommon and we can usually faciliate opening an account. I suggest you call the Customer Contact Centre on 1850 88 22 22 Mon - Fri 8am - 8pm and they will be able to sort you out. Please be advised that we are an internet-only bank and all transactions must be conducted online. We have plenty of customers in their 60's and older who are quite comfortable on the net. We do walk customers through all aspects of our online service if required by telephone including how to conduct transactions. I just mention it in case your mum doesn't want to bank solely online. She can sign a power of attorney (we can email a form) that nominates a person of her choice to operate her account on her behalf.

RaboDirect

She can sign a power of attorney (we can email a form) that nominates a person of her choice to operate her account on her behalf.

Hey zaph you're in there! :D;)

Mike.

• Advertisement

RaboDirect wrote:
    Zaph,
    Your mother's situation is not uncommon and we can usually faciliate opening an account. I suggest you call the Customer Contact Centre on 1850 88 22 22 Mon - Fri 8am - 8pm and they will be able to sort you out. Please be advised that we are an internet-only bank and all transactions must be conducted online. We have plenty of customers in their 60's and older who are quite comfortable on the net. We do walk customers through all aspects of our online service if required by telephone including how to conduct transactions. I just mention it in case your mum doesn't want to bank solely online. She can sign a power of attorney (we can email a form) that nominates a person of her choice to operate her account on her behalf.

RaboDirect

That's great, thanks. I was a bit concerned about the internet only but as she's not great near a computer, but the power of attorney thing might be a way around that, assuming she trusts me with her money that is :D

mike65 wrote:
    Hey zaph you're in there! :D;)

Mike.

Yeah, now if I can just find where she's hidden her will... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,496 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

RaboDirect, I had a big question over the tax cert thing and that is I didn't want to send away P60 etc as too much into on them and my tax credits for the year has PIN number printed across it. Now luckily I was able to send last years and ye accepted it but its a problem which I think could cause problems. Just some feedback.

Driver, thats something that was worrying me too.

I sent the forms away last weekend and I haven't heard anything yet, taking into account Easter Monday, roughly how long will it take for my account to up and running. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,496 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I got stuff from Rabo (i.e. PIN and digipass thingy) about a week later and then got my documentation returned to me abotu 2 weeks after that again.

Ah I was wondering about the time to return the paperwork (activated my account today, twas scary!)

I notice there is no account log-out icon just a small "exit" in the corner which might not be seen.

Mike.

I got my paperwork back a week after my account was opened. Whats the deal with the crappy calculator thing? I prefer Boi's banking 365 passcode layout, rather than entering my pin into a crappy little calculator for an activation code for every transaction.

The "crappy little calculator" is actually a very good piece of technology, and would cut down on a lot of the online banking fraud that is taking place in the last couple of years, the losses of which are passed on to the customer at the end of the day. As it requires physical presence to authorise logins and transactions, it drastically eliminates the chances of your account being cleaned out in the event of someone obtaining you login/password details.

Barclays in the UK are introducing a similar technological measure in he future, and I expect in time other banks will roll out similar measures over time.

Something else to worry about loosing/breaking

Mike.

BuffyBot wrote:
    The "crappy little calculator" is actually a very good piece of technology, and would cut down on a lot of the online banking fraud that is taking place in the last couple of years, the losses of which are passed on to the customer at the end of the day. As it requires physical presence to authorise logins and transactions, it drastically eliminates the chances of your account being cleaned out in the event of someone obtaining you login/password details.

Barclays in the UK are introducing a similar technological measure in he future, and I expect in time other banks will roll out similar measures over time.

I guess you have a point but its a bit annoying if you are at work or on holiday and want to log in. But I suppose you could just memorise one of the calculators pin codes

• Advertisement

Bring it on holidays if you're that in need of checking your account. It's not *that* big ;)

Something I just wondered about - battery life! Its going to die at some point so do Rabo send out new ones after a certain time before the previous unit fails?

Mike.

It will die, and I believe they will replace any units like that for free. Can't remember if it gives any kind of alert beforehand though - might be worth asking them.

Advertisement