Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Six games left - Premiership predictions!

• 07-04-2007 7:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭

ManU only 3 points ahead now, with Chavs to play away in their 2nd last game.

ManU fixtures/predictions:
    Man Utd v Sheff Utd, 20:00 3pts
    Man Utd v Middlesbro', 17:15 3pts
    Everton v Man Utd, 12:45 1pt
    Man City v Man Utd, 12:45 1pt
    Chelsea v Man Utd, 20:00 0pts
    Man Utd v West Ham, 15:00 3pts

Chelsea:
    West Ham v Chelsea, 20:00 1pt
    Newcastle v Chelsea, 13:30 3pts
    Chelsea v Bolton, 12:45 3pts
    Arsenal v Chelsea, 16:00 3pts
    Chelsea v Man Utd, 20:00 3pts
    Chelsea v Everton, 15:00 3pts

A big ask, but Chavs to win it by 2.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Chelsea undoubtedly with the tougher run-in, but if the pressure is still on when Man Utd travel to Man City, I could see Man Yoo slipping up. Gonna be a good finish anyway! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

God I'm not lookin forward to the Chelsea match. My nerves were shot to pieces tonight, and now the stakes are even higher against a better team! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

United were poor, no doubt about it. But we could have had 3 or 4 goals in the first half, and on another day, we would have.
    Rooney scored instantly in the second half, and if the stupid linesman had allowed it, we would have won comfortably.

Our injuries are showing, there is no denying it.
    Richardson today should have been Park.
    Brown should have been Vidic.
    VDS today should have been the other VDS, the good one

With those two players, Park and Vidic, I think everybody would agree we would have won.

Let's look at the run in

We play Roma, then Watford.
    Roma will be what happens, we'll see. Watford will be an easy win, especially with no Foster in goal.

Then we have:
    Sheffield United (H)
    Boro (H)

At home, these should be easy games, especially with Saha and Evra back.

Then, we get Park and Vidic back.

That means, in terms of squad depth, the only person we're missing is Neville. It puts Brown back at RB, and makes our team look like this:

VDS

---Brown
    Rio
    Vidic
    Evra--
    ---Ronaldo
    Carrick
    Scholes
    Giggs--

Saha
    Rooney

To play against:

Everton (A)
    Man City (A)
    Chelsea (A)
    West Ham (H)

p.s. We get Neville back around the Chelsea game.

I think we will win those first two games with that team. Then we go to Chelsea, even if we lose, we have to go to West Ham to win, to win the premiership on goal difference.

So even if Chelsea win every single game between now and then, unless they can catch a goal difference of 15 (which nobody will claim they can), the premiership should be ours.

Oh and yeh, btw, CHelsea's run-in isn't that easy.

West Ham (A)
    Newcastle (A)
    Bolton (H)
    Arsenal (A)
    Man Utd (H)
    Everton (H)

Besides us, Bolton and Arsenal are pretty tough games, and West Ham just beat Arsenal so could be on a high, especially at home.
    They have a tougher run in than us.

Either way, we're still favorites

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Man City v Man Utd, 12:45 3pt
    Chelsea v Man Utd, 20:00 1pts

Chelsea:

United win it by 3 points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

chelski to win the title again my verdict.
    man u will lose at goodison park........:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

The only things certain about the Premiership this season so far is that Watford will be relegated, Manchester United and Chelsea will get the automatic spots for the Champions League and Liverpool will qualify for the qualifying stage of the Champions League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

I can't believe what Fergie was doing today.

Why didn't he have Ronaldo move out to the right!? Giggs, let him go on the left. Solskjaer isn't quick enough to play on the right and he seemed to be isolated when he was on the right flank. I think that might have been the difference to be honest as we were focusing too much on the left side of the pitch.

I think we can pull it together though. Chelsea don't look too solid at the moment. Yes, they're winning, but just.

Dare I say it, United for the title! *touch wood*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Is this a two horse race? or should the thread have been called Premiership Title Race Predictions? ;)

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

If I was to be 100% honest and a gun was put to my head to name this seasons champions I'd say United.

They're 3 1/2 points ahead of Chelsea
    They have the easier run in IMO

I said a good while ago if United get 7 points or more from the Spurs, Liverpool, Chelsea and Pompey games United would win the league.

I stand by that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

I agree Chelsea have the harder run in but at the moment,

Looking at the next two games for both teams. I cannot see anything but 6 points for Utd at home against Sheff Utd. and Middlebro.
    Chelsea on the other hand have two away games West Ham and Newcastle. And I cannot be a 100% sure that they will collect all 6 points. So I can see the lead growing again.

Also
    Utd's three home games are against teams in the the bottom half. Yes i know one's a team facing relegation but it is the last game, so relegation or the title issue could already be decided. Whereas Chelsea are facing Bolton (have a realistic chance of a 4th spot) UTD (no explanation needed ) and Everton (may not even matter or team needing points for Europe )
    So for these reasons I see UTD Title.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

You're assuming teams will just roll over.

Not many teams have beaten Everton at home this season (they beat Arsenal and Liverpool, and lost narrowly to Chelsea), Everton are 3 points behind Bolton, So I'd put them in with a shout of 4th as well, they play Bolton next.

So anyway, lots of disbelief from Manu fans, hoping they haven't blown it.

I think Utd will lose twice (Everton & Chelsea) and may also drop points against Man City / Middlesboro.

Chelsea to pip Utd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

Can't see Utd getting a win at either COMStad or Goodison, Everton are in good form and with the wheels coming off Arsenals season, are in with an honest shout of fourth. Didn't they beat Utd in the run in two years ago to clinch fourth spot? And the derby is the derby, impossible to predict

Everton v Man Utd, 12:45 0pt
    Man City v Man Utd, 12:45 0pt
    Chelsea v Man Utd, 20:00 0pts

Chelsea:
    West Ham v Chelsea, 20:00 3pt
    Arsenal v Chelsea, 16:00 1pts

Chelsea to win easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

Everton v Man Utd, 12:45 3 pts
    Man City v Man Utd, 12:45 1 pt
    Chelsea v Man Utd, 20:00 0 pts

Chelsea:
    West Ham v Chelsea, 20:00 3pt
    Arsenal v Chelsea, 16:00 1pts

Goes down to goal difference, with United coming out on top :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Juan Pablo - You have united to lose 3 on the trot to Everton, City and Chelsea. Not bloody likely! I think Everton will prove to be pivotal in the run in. I think United will draw with them, as will Chelski.

Since when are Everton this impressive side?

We beat them 3-0 earlier in the season.

Also, Man City to beat us? Yes its a derby, but they are currently 14th, we have 41 more points than them, we're a hell of a lot better than them.

I'm not saying we're defo gona win, but to suggest we will lose to Everton, Man City and Chelsea is just laughable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

PHB wrote:
    these should be easy games
    Ha! Famous last words...

PHB wrote:
    Since when are Everton this impressive side?

We beat them 3-0 earlier in the season.

Also, Man City to beat us? Yes its a derby, but they are currently 14th, we have 41 more points than them, we're a hell of a lot better than them.

I'm not saying we're defo gona win, but to suggest we will lose to Everton, Man City and Chelsea is just laughable
    Before yesterdays game, Utd were 35 points ahead of Portsmouth, but there you go.

Hardly laughable considering Evertons form at home, Chelsea at home (Lost:0) and an away derby v Citeh, hmmm, I dunno, if Utd get the results from there, they deserve the league.

It's all to play for. :)

I agree its all to play for, but I don't think theres a snowballs chance in hell we will lose to Everton Man City and Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I have to say it makes it a bit more interesting.
    If they go into the last game of teh season on equal points, then its Utd's purely on the fact I think both will win their last games and UTD goal difference is superior.
    So it looks like the game at StBridge might be the decider.

The 2 tough games for Chelsea apart from the obvious is WHam & Arsenal. I can see them beating Arsenal but the WHam game will be a tough one for them, probably nicking it in injury time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

i don't think utd will crumble like people are predicting.

In fact, i think that defeat will have a positive effect on the side.

Utd have been in cruise control in the league and under no real pressure. That defeat should make them focus and see it through to the end.

Also, everyone assumes Chelsea will beat Utd in the head to head. That's a tough ask. They both have excellent records against each other away from home, so i can't see a chelsea walkover.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

As I said in the PL thread, I think Utd getting the Chelsea game postponed will be their saving grace and they know it. A 5 game run in starting on level points would have made it very interesting. As it is, Utd only need to match chelseas results and then get a draw at the Bridge. Even a defeat wouldnt be too bad because again they would only have to match Chelsea last day result.

What chance West Ham denying Utd the title on the last day again, a la 95(?)

Stekelly wrote:
    I remember that game, Utd couldn't buy a goal

United can win all the remaining games, but lose to Chelsea, and win the league on goal difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

chelski to win the title again my verdict.
    man u will lose at goodison park........:D

I agree. Either Man City or Everton will beat Utd imo. Chelsea will win all of their games!

Going to be some run-in!

Stekelly wrote:

A dark dark day. Do not want to relive that again. Kids crying the in the pub. Awful day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

daveg wrote:
    A dark dark day. Do not want to relive that again. Kids crying the in the pub. Awful day.
    :D:D:D Happy day.

Dr. Nick wrote:
    :D:D:D Happy day.

Blackburn or ABU fan? Let me guess..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Chelsea won all their league games in March, I fully believe they can do the same in April. I have a sneaky suspicion it will be enough. United will draw one at some stage before the Chelsea game I reckon.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

daveg wrote:
    I won £800 that day on a 4 league accumulator I placed at the start of the season. When Liverpool went in front against Blackburn I didn't know whether to cheer or cry. That was a lot of money for a poor student back then. All ended well though :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭emmemm

fulham in freefall
    most supporters want coleman out and john collins in
    probably finish 17th:)

Chelsea won all their league games in March, I fully believe they can do the same in April.

United won all their league games in March too, Feburary aswell :)

Fulham could get involved in this relegation fight, in their last seven mathes have went
    LLLDDDL
    And their easiest game is Man City

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Hmm...with West Ham at home and fighting for their lives, plus their good form and the fact that Chelski will have played 5 games in 8 days by then, it could bethe result that sees West Hma stay up...wouldn't be so sure that Chelski would grab all three points, a draw is as bad as a defeat at this satge.

Newcastle away could be tricky, Newcastle are one of those sides that can rasie their game and be frustrating, especially at home...they drew with Man U on New Year's Day at St. James after all...

Bolton could be a frustrating one gain, ut I'd expect Chelski to win, provided they aren't too fatigued, Bolton are are still competing for a Champions League spot and thwey'll hopefully battle (and injure Terry!) like they usually do...

Desapite Arsenal's from they'll have something to prove, and they've been good (apaart from recently) at the Emirates, plus they'll want to avenge their defeat against Chelski in the League Cup...and there's the small matter of CL qualification so Wenger will stress the importance of a reuslt at least...as I said, a draw is as bad as a defeat for Chelski or Man U at this stage...

The Man U game could go either way, but I'd expect Chelski to win, solely for the way they play...I don't think Man U are suited to counter the way they play although a draw could be a possibility...as for the Everton game, Chelski to win easily.

The key for Man U is successive home games up next. This should ease the pressure slightly, if they win both and I'd expect them to...although we "should" have beaten Sunderland around the same time last season when they were dead and buried and nothing materialised.

The away matches are crucial, we have a good record at Goodison and usually play well against Everton...the desire of the Man U players to cement the ttile should see them edge it imo, as for City, could be a banana-skin, worst possible result a draw but Man U should have too much for them tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

I think the league will come down to the Chelsea v Manu game.

Manu have been the better team this season, but Chelsea keep pulling the 1-0s out of the bag, and haven't faded away at all.

Manu will need a draw against Chelsea to win the league I feel. Chelsea will almost certainly need to win that one. I would think Utd are good enough to get that draw as well, and therefore pip Chelsea at the post. Hard to call though. Should be exciting stuff!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

UTD are starting to look shaky at the wrong time. Mixed form of a few key players and some bad luck on the injury front have compounded this. Chelsea are grinding away unrelenting. Its a tough call. At the moment the momentum is with Chelsea.

With Arsenal's current form, not only is 3rd looking increasingly unlikely, but unless they cop on, they could miss 4th.

Liverpool are looking solid now. This form at the start of the season would have had us challenging the top. At the moment though 3rd 10-15 points off the top looks likely.

The relegation battle is wide open. Anyone in the bottom half could get sucked in. Finger biting all round.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Top 6 prediction

Chelsea
    Man Utd
    Liverpool
    Bolton
    Arsenal
    Everton

;)

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

daveg wrote:
    Man City v Man Utd, 12:45 3pt

Chelsea:

United win it by 3 points.

I agree with Dave. United to effectively clinch it at Stamford Bridge.:D

As I think it was PHB pointed out United's next 3 games are at home (incl C.L.). United have FA cup next weekend. United should have Vidic back, as well as everyone else, to be back at full strength (open to correction on this) by the next away game at Everton on the 28th of April, putting us in a much better position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

Didn't think Vidic was back so soon?

Brian017 wrote:

Think it was a fracture rather than a break. They hope he'll be back in 4 to 5 weeks:

http://www.manutd.com/default.sps?pagegid=%7BB4CEE8FA%2D9A47%2D47BC%2DB069%2D3F7A2F35DB70%7D&newsid=415856

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Brian017 wrote:

i heard 2nd week in May at the earliest. I don't think anyone can say with certainty really

The Everton game will be just over 4 weeks, so that's the hopeful date for his return. Should be back for Chelsea though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,079 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

daveg wrote:
    Think it was a fracture rather than a break.
    A fracture is a break.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000001.htm

If his collarbone (Clavicle) is fractured they'll be lucky to have him back this season at all. Probably waiting for swelling to go down to be sure of the extent of the injury. Experianced it myself, was 3 months till completely healed again, but was able to play again to a degree after about 2.

http://www.intelihealth.com/IH/ihtIH/WSIHW000/9339/25438.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Isn't a fracture when there is a crack, but the bone is not fully broken in two and a break is when the bone is in 2 (or more) seperate parts?

(confirmed this on multiple sites), or more precisely, a broken bone is when the bone is in two parts, but may also be called a fracture, whereas a fracture can be any type of break (partial or otherwise).

Definition: A fracture is a broken bone. A broken bone is a fracture.

While many people believe that a fracture is a "hairline break," or a certain type of broken bone, this is not true. A fracture and a broken bone are the same thing!

http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/brokenbones/g/fracture.htm
    http://orthopedics.about.com/od/brokenbones/Fractures_Dislocations.htm
    What's the difference between a fracture and a break? No difference, fracture is the actual medical term used by us doctors instead of ‘break’.
    http://www.extreme.com/news/news_article.asp?SID=322 (a doctor in, guest answering questions on "extreme" sports injuries)

What is the Difference Between a Fractured Bone and a Broken Bone?

The truth is, a fracture and a break are the same thing. Many people tend to think that if a bone is not completely broken, then it is fractured and vice versa. However, regardless of how severe a bone is broken, the terms fractured and broken mean the same thing.

http://www.tahoefracture.com/fracture.asp
    'Have I got a fracture or a break doctor?' remains a commonly posed question in fracture clinics, suggesting that patients frequently feel a 'fracture' and a 'break' are two separate entities. This apparent misconception amongst fracture clinic patients may result in confusion and occasionally anger that doctors appear to have inconsistent views on the severity of their injury. Compliance and outcome of patient care can also be affected by poor communication.

http://lib.bioinfo.pl/auth:Pang,J (this one is actually quite interesting)
    Often, people wonder about the difference between a broken bone and a fracture. In fact, they are just different ways of describing the same injury.
    http://www.callsam.com/personal_injury_legal_cases__bad_injuries/broken_bones.html
    ^^^from an ambulance chasing lawyer website so bound to know the ins and outs :D
    When a bone breaks or cracks, the injury is called a fracture.
    http://www.intelihealth.com/IH/ihtIH/WSIHW000/9339/25438.html

wikipedia and "yahoo answers" (where users seem to answer each others questions) were the only places i found anything that didnt agree with the above, making the study in the Pang J one more interesting.

But back to football! I think theres fair chance Chelsea will stumble at Arsenal, a draw maybe, making the chelsea united match moot. Just think United having destiny in their own hands will be enough. On a side note, what was Ferguson thinking playing Richardson, o Shea and a just back from injury Fletcher together against a decent team when they need to keep their lead?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Semantics aside, the terms in popular use are usually understood as broken = clean break (ie one bone is now two) and fracture = a break not resulting in the aforementioned.

This is quite likely the usage given by whomever issued the statement on Vidic's injury and may well indicate that it was not as bad a break as originally thought.

Arguing about the definition of medical terms on a football forum is an utter waste of time.

the statement on the man u site didnt mention either (it was only mentioned by the poster), so the fact they're giving him to be out for only a month means it probably less serious then a fracture/break, which would be great for united.

Didnt mean to bring it into semantics, just made a very quick statement that a fracture and break are the same, so when this wasnt excepted just quickly copy/pasted a few results from a search. Any official statement from a club will probably use the proper medical terminology (remember everyone quickly learning what a metatarsal was?), so will mention either break or fracture with no differentiation between then, so its better supporters know what they're looking at, rather then thinking if fracture is mentioned its a good thing.

<<edit>> seems on skysports.com it was confirmed as a Break, which kinda shows what i mean, as its obviously not a serious one given the quick recovery time expected of only about a month http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=458418&plid=14965&clid=1&cpid=8

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Obni

With Bolton, Arsenal, Everton as well as Man U, I can't help feeling Chelsea may yet slip up, and Man U's 3 pts plus GD is enough to carry them through.

Liverpool must be kicking themselves. Good set of results recently, and the easiest run-in by a mile. Just too late.

I don't know why people think West Ham will trouble Chelsea, when they had a lucky lucky win on Saturday.

Arsenal have a tough end to the season playing Bolton & Chelsea at home and Spurs and Portsmouth away. 12 pts leaves them on 68 - 4th.

Bolton have both Arsenal and Chelsea away. 8pts from 15 leaves them on 62 - 5th

Everton have Man U Chelsea and Portsmouth. 7 pts from 15 puts them on 58 - 7th

Spurs have the easier finish at first glance, but relegation threatened teams can cause problems. 11 pts from 18 and they end on 59 - 6th

Reading could pick up 13 of their remaining 15 to finish level with Everton. If Spurs win the Uefa, Everton get the Uefa spot, and any extra places in next years cup could go to Reading.

MANU
    CHELSEA
    LIVERPOOL
    ARSENAL
    BOLTON
    SPURS
    EVERTON
    READING

Relegated
    WATFORD
    WEST HAM
    Loser of Sheff Utd vs Wigan on last day.

Obni wrote:
    Liverpool must be kicking themselves. Good set of results recently, and the easiest run-in by a mile. Just too late.

damn right id say! All the chopping and changing early on, particularly away, has cost dearly. The way the fixtures ended up, they could have been pushed hard, having 2 giant gaps in March they could have recouperated for before the final push. That break seems to have done them good anyway with teh form being put together now. hopefully very few changes made for next year so some momentum can be kept with the players already gelled, with only maybe 2 being gradually introduced.

Probably better for Reading that they dont make the Uefa cup this season, might be a bit too much on their plate for next year, when they need to concentrate on the difficult second season.

So United's run in and Chelsea's run in have changed a bit,
    Chelsea:

Newcaste A
    Liverpool
    Bolton H
    Liverpool
    Arsenal A
    Man Utd H
    Everton H

Compared to Uniteds:

Boro H
    Bayern/Milan
    Everton A
    Bayern/Milan
    City A
    Chelsea A
    West Ham H

I know which one I'd prefer :)
    Inbetween games, we get Everton A, they get Bolton H. I think Bolton will really be incredibly tough, as you have to play a certain type of physical game to beat them.
    United on the other hand, get to play against a footballing team, which should make it easier

• Advertisement
Advertisement