Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Major Upgrade :D

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭Tyrant^

I just thought I would add what im upgrading from !

Intel Pentium 4 541 "LGA775 Prescott" 3.2GHz

MSI P4N Diamond

Some cheap ass IDE Hard disks, windows XP, and a 500Watt PSU.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

should really put this in the building and upgrading section. Oh and I'd invest in some good SATAII drives and spend the saved money on a better graphics card and maybe 2 more gigs of RAM.

Also you should note, Intel will be slashing its C2D prices at the end of April, You should wait another few weeks and then buy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I wouldn't waste my money on a GX2. I'd get an 8800 instead, definitely. Also no need for that high rated a psu unless you're planning sli, could free up some cash to invest elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Read his post, he already has the gx2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

You know, I've been so bad for this lately - third for fourth time I've done that in the space of two or so days...

• Advertisement

Hehe dont worry about it, i do it all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭Tyrant^

Thanks for the feedback !
    Ive saved nearly 300 quid :D

Tyrant^ wrote:
    Thanks for the feedback !
    Ive saved nearly 300 quid :D

Thats good, i also would not bother with the raptorX drive, unless you like a really noisy pc. Even in raid i dont see that much of a improvement.

Save the money, and keep it for thr r600. As the 8800 series are a complete waste of money. Yeah i have them, but the only benifit i see is at stupidly high resolution or with mad levels of aa and af. So unlessyou have a nice big monitor its a waste of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Yea im getting an 8800GTX.. I have a 19" now.. buy soon as I buy the pc im going save for a 22" and use the 19" for xbox :D

Im getting the same setup as you.. only im kinda annoyed I didnt go buy the 64bit windows and upgrade to more ram later...

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Anti wrote:
    Thats good, i also would not bother with the raptorX drive, unless you like a really noisy pc. Even in raid i dont see that much of a improvement.

Save the money, and keep it for thr r600. As the 8800 series are a complete waste of money. Yeah i have them, but the only benifit i see is at stupidly high resolution or with mad levels of aa and af. So unlessyou have a nice big monitor its a waste of money.

uhmz... the 8900's and the likes should be coming out around the same time as the r600 series. tbh, i'd say wait until both cards are out & benchmarked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

its not the 8900 its gona be the 98** series from what i have been reading .

the 8600 series is out soon which will overclock faster then a 8800gts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭c0y0te

Regarding Vista.... RUN AWAY, VERY FAST!!!! :p

Advertisement