Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cheapest ISDN

Options
  • 07-04-2007 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭

As a dial up user, and one of the 4 percent eircom dont plan to give broaband to, ive been thinking about isdn as a crapper alterinitive.
    anyone know who does it apart from eircom?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

No-one really, generally. Even LLU Broadband, Eircom still own the lines.
    There might be about 2 exchanges in the countrry where technically BT could offer it, but they won't, and if they could, you would be able to get BT broadband anyway, which would be better.

A lot more than 4% won't get DSL from eircom.

You best hope is Cable TV or Wireless Broadband. Wireless services vary hugely. research it well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

We had ISDN a good few years ago now, before we got broadband when eircom first launched iStream. I really wouldn't think it's worth getting to be honest. It's not all that fast and it's very expensive. ISDN's really only useful for applicaitons like office phone systems with direct inward dial and stuff like that. For internet access it's a useless.

See if you can get wireless broadband from one of the providers.
    Otherwise, you'd be better off geting access via Vodafone's 3G service or 3 using a datacard / modem or the mobile handset as a modem.

It'd be faster than ISDN and cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

nah
    no wireless is avaible to my area, save a poor net 1 reception, and theres no point going down that avanue, weve been ringing for a year to try and get line test to detrimine just how poor it is, still they aint come out
    3g is not aviable in my area, we can barely get a normal phone reception[on any network] capable of a hearable call

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

have you taken a look at 3's data card offering? you probably only checked vodafone's one right?

we checked it out, not aviable

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

What speed do you get currently on dialup?

If you're on about 40k then you won't notice much difference.

I got ISDN some years ago when I had meagre 28.8k speeds, and to stop the internet tying up the phoneline. It was definitely a noticeable improvement, but an expensive one! Also, as far as I know, nobody offers flatrate for both ISDN channels (128k).

tbh its kist not to tye up the phoneline
    get[noramlly] between 46/49 kps

no-one offers TRUE flat rate for dialup or single channel. Despite what we are supposed to have, it's timed. True flat rate is not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 FarSide

As a dial up user, and one of the 4 percent eircom dont plan to give broaband to, ive been thinking about isdn as a crapper alterinitive.
    anyone know who does it apart from eircom?

If you do get it, PM me and I'll send you a Diva Lan ISDN router for free. I was using ISDN for a few years, being stuck in the sticks.

Interestingly, the local Eircom guy told me that a line that was capable of carrying ISDN would probably be ok for broadband once the exchange was enabled - which wasn't going to happen any time soon in my case.

Yes. Don't use a serial port or USB based converter. Only PCI card or an Ethernet based router give full performance and flexibiliy. A PCI card will also support analogue & Digital fax, analogue modem dialin and voice mail. But you probably don't need all that stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

watty wrote:
    no-one offers TRUE flat rate for dialup or single channel. Despite what we are supposed to have, it's timed. True flat rate is not.

eircom do actually. if you go on one of there flatrate plans. It just uses up yur minutes twice as fast.

Minutes = timed,
    flat rate = no time limit
    suppafly wrote:
    eircom do actually. if you go on one of there flatrate plans. It just uses up yur minutes twice as fast.
    Not flat rate, timed. I understand what you mean and its logical. Eircom always have charged "twice" the minutes for 2 ch ISDN no matter what kind of call or billing. It proves that "flat rate" is a evil fiction. It should be called timed.

Mobile phone companies don't call it flat rate, you buy different minutes of packages. Thankfully now you can get a true flat rate internet GPRS/3G/HSDPA from the Mobile operators. So why can't eircom do it on dialup? Greed and lack of regulation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭stepperupper

do get ISDN. So much better than 56k standard modem. You'd get max downloads speeds of 15kbps which is like 5 times faster than ur connection. I had one for ages and though it's no broadband it is seriously better than what u have now. I'll ever sell u my ISDN modem if u like.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Darren DT289/1

Look at www.onspeed.com. It speeds up dialup up to 10 times faster. Like broadband speed and its cheaper that broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

nah
    no wireless is avaible to my area, save a poor net 1 reception, and theres no point going down that avanue, weve been ringing for a year to try and get line test to detrimine just how poor it is, still they aint come out
    3g is not aviable in my area, we can barely get a normal phone reception[on any network] capable of a hearable call
    Is there many in your area. Maybe you could set up yer own wireless service?

man
    300 people ,around or about, most are elderery who would have no interest in it
    my[im using my sons account for this ''yarn'' btw] sister in laws brother, who lives beside us,and is a enginngger with eircom, has been trying to set something like that up, but gave up due to lack of interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Yeah thats a pity. Don't suppose you have a Line of Sight to any houses that can get broadband? If so you could set up a wireless link easly and share the connection or something.

Just an idea :)

Up to 8km easily with a pair of Dlink WiFi Bridges and MMDS style aerials.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

i believe irish broadband have a wap in dundalk.
    give them a shout and look into theur 2mbup/down lines.
    they're about 40 a month.

• Advertisement

not covered

Advertisement