Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homebrew cadence meter for a fiver

Options
  • 07-04-2007 11:10pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Get one of the cheapo speedo's from Lidl (or Aldi )

set the circumference to 1667 (167 cm) ( 60 revolutions =100m)
    instead of putting the magnet on a spoke put it on a cable tie and hence on to the crank
    you will have to tilt the sensor about 45 degrees as it sticks out too much

works, only problem is that when you cycle at 68 rpm it will say
    You also get maximum cadence, average cadence, and if you multiply the distance in kilometers by 600 you get the number of times you've turned the pedals. You could use the other display on it to see the time / temperature while your main speed does speed/distance.

If you want to see both digits fully you would need 5 magnets on the chain ring spider and set the circumference to 3333 ( or three magnets and a circumference of 5555 ) but then you'd be limited to 99 rpm

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Membrane

I'm hoping to do this using the Aldi computer, but if the length of the cable on my CatEye is anything to go by (70cm) its cable isn't long enough. Did you have to extend the cable?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

no, just keep it back on the handlebars and as close to bottom bracket as you can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Membrane

Membrane wrote:
    I'm hoping to do this using the Aldi computer, but if the length of the cable on my CatEye is anything to go by (70cm) its cable isn't long enough. Did you have to extend the cable?

I just installed it, alas cable length was a problem, I couldn't fit the sensor on the tube where you'd normally install a cadence sensor, but after some head scratching I managed to find a spot (I attached it to the bottom of my also newly aquired second bottle cage).

A quick run up and down a nearby lane suggests that it is working a treat. Thanks to Capt'n for posting this idea and data, wouldn't have thought of it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mucco

Get one of the cheapo speedo's from Lidl (or Aldi )

set the circumference to 1667 (167 cm) ( 60 revolutions =100m)
    instead of putting the magnet on a spoke put it on a cable tie and hence on to the crank
    you will have to tilt the sensor about 45 degrees as it sticks out too much

works, only problem is that when you cycle at 68 rpm it will say
    You also get maximum cadence, average cadence, and if you multiply the distance in kilometers by 600 you get the number of times you've turned the pedals. You could use the other display on it to see the time / temperature while your main speed does speed/distance.

If you want to see both digits fully you would need 5 magnets on the chain ring spider and set the circumference to 3333 ( or three magnets and a circumference of 5555 ) but then you'd be limited to 99 rpm

Good tip

Advertisement