Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths Hl Mock P2 Q

Options
  • 07-04-2007 11:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭

Hi does anyone know how to do Q2 c) on paper 2? I've no idea which mock it is but heres the question anyway:

z= -i + 5j. Two vectors x and y are such that |x|=|y|=√13.
    ox and oy make angles of 45degrees with oz, where o is the origin.

i) Find x and y in terms of i and j
    ii) show that oxzy is a square.

I'd say I could figure out part ii) but all help is welcome!thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Crumbs

Vectors x and y will be of the form ai + bj.
    We know their moduli, so we can write sqrt(a^2 + b^2) = sqrt(13)

Now we use the given angle information to make a second equation:
    x.z / |x|.|z| = cos 45º

Work that out and substitute into the first equation.
    You should end up with two values for a and b, which gives you vectors x and y.

Part (ii) should be doable then but let me know if you've any problems or need any clarifications.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

i got that mock too.... Q.2 was the hardest vectors question id ever seen!!! i only got 13/50 :eek: :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭md99

i got that mock too.... Q.2 was the hardest vectors question id ever seen!!! i only got 13/50 :eek: :D

Yep, horrible vectors Q... How could my beloved vectors turn on me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Tomlowe

it raped me too... and the line question on orthocentres.... there was blood everywhere. i am not looking forward to getting that result back...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭md99

Is it me, or do maths pre papers always seem to miss the mark by a mile? Ive done a few and I never do well in them, going by the past papers I can usually pull 30-40/50, in a lot of the pre paper Qs I'm lucky to get 20.... very frustrating!

• Advertisement
Advertisement