Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exams

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

Well at least SIS is still saying they'll be out today.

/clutches at straws

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Are they going to be on SIS or ucd.ie/exams or both?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

What's the chance they won't come out today? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

Pythia wrote:
    What's the chance they won't come out today? :rolleyes:

I dont think it will be out today.they are just so slow.It should have been out 2-3 weeks ago so we knew when and where the exams are.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I *really* need to get the timetable very soon.. got a family wedding on May 31 and I can't RSVP until I get the timetable! This is really annoying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

I dont know why I'm surprised... but this is totally ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭elmyra

beanyb wrote:
    I dont know why I'm surprised... but this is totally ridiculous.

So I rang Tierney and a rather obnoxious lady on the student desk maintained that they would be out today, though she had a rather nonchant and unfriendly attitude and wasn't bothered to help me find out when.

I'm glad their building burned down. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

jesus, they'll be out when they're out. They gave notice that all exams would be finished by the 2nd of June, surely that's good enough for anyone planning a holiday? At the end of the day, if you're a student you're a student, and you're gonna have to do them irrespective of when they're on. why not study for them now instead of wondering when they are? that way you won't find yourself at the mercy of an unpublished schedule in Autumn!

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Steibhin

griffdaddy wrote:
    jesus, they'll be out when they're out. They gave notice that all exams would be finished by the 2nd of June, surely that's good enough for anyone planning a holiday? At the end of the day, if you're a student you're a student, and you're gonna have to do them irrespective of when they're on. why not study for them now instead of wondering when they are? that way you won't find yourself at the mercy of an unpublished schedule in Autumn!

Indeed. We should be thankful that they are letting us know at all..

The real problem is not just the finishing date, but the order in which the exams come in. This will affect your studying schedule. For example at Christmas my final exam was 5 days after the second last exams. I knew I could leave studying that exams until the end and focus on others on the run up to the exam. A good university would be aware of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

eh its handy to know when your exams are so you can structure a study timetable for them. its hardly asking alot for the timetable to be up when they said it would be, particularly when it should have been out weeks ago imo.

• Advertisement

I think we're all well aware that we'll have to sit them regardless, the point is to know what to revise first etc by knowing which papers are up in which order, figuring out whether or not it will be possible to go to my little sister's communion which is on the 13th- going being dependant on whether or not I have an exam the first day on the 14th. No, it is not impossible to survive without a timetable and you can just keep going with study, but it shouldn't beyond the bounds of possibility that these should be provided and it is not as if the exams office are obliging us by giving us the timetable rather than maybe telling us what paper we're sitting about ten minutes beforehand when we're already down at the RDS. We are in fact keeping them in a job.

The staff already know the timetables, they can access them afaik.
    So they're there, just not given to us yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

Pythia wrote:
    The staff already know the timetables, they can access them afaik.
    So they're there, just not given to us yet.

Yes you are right.our lecturer told us a date already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

wtf?

why wont they give them to us when they are decided, where's the logic?

why would they do that? WHY? WHY? WHY!!!!????

Steibhin wrote:
    Indeed. We should be thankful that they are letting us know at all..
    yeah, because that was implicit in what i was saying :rolleyes:
    This situation is no better or no worse than any other university of this size going through a such a period of change would experience. When there were exam clashes or a few exams on the same day last semester people were going fúcking balistic, this time around admin came out and said, (paraphrasing) 'Right, we don't want a similar situation so it's gonna take a bit longer to get a more sensible timetable this time round, but we can tell you that you'll definitely be finished by the 2nd of June.' I don't see how anyone couldn't understand that and just let it go, it's like there's no pleasing some people. Ringing up and nagging them isn't going to make them work any harder. what were you expecting? that you'd ring up and they'd say 'oooh we weren't really ready yet, but seeing as it's you....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

yeah the two above posters are right. No point in attacking UCd about this. The timetables will be out today at some stage. Whats the problem?

griffdaddy wrote:
    This situation is no better or no worse than any other university of this size going through a such a period of change would experience. When there were exam clashes or a few exams on the same day last semester people were going fúcking balistic, this time around admin came out and said, (paraphrasing) 'Right, we don't want a similar situation so it's gonna take a bit longer to get a more sensible timetable this time round, but we can tell you that you'll definitely be finished by the 2nd of June.' I don't see how anyone couldn't understand that and just let it go, it's like there's no pleasing some people. Ringing up and nagging them isn't going to make them work any harder. what were you expecting? that you'd ring up and they'd say 'oooh we weren't really ready yet, but seeing as it's you....

Well actually no I was just ringing up to see if they could confirm that they would be out today, it's not like they haven't messed up such things before..

elmyra wrote:
    figuring out whether or not it will be possible to go to my little sister's communion which is on the 13th- going being dependant on whether or not I have an exam the first day on the 14th.
    What would you do differently to what you're doing now if you knew whether or not you were able to attend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 dazman2250

Why are you defending the college? This is just one of many examples of the prevailing ineptitude within the administration buildings. For example the exam results fiasco for third years at Christmas. The college have come out and said that the timetables are late because they are using a system to avoid clashes with exams. That system should however already have existed, and whatever changes the department make, its not as if they havn't had months to sort it all out and get the timetables out on schedule. I don't care that they havn't given me my exam timetable to be honest, but its just the fact that the college keeps screwing us over that pisses me off. I mean how hard would it have been just to post the bloody thing at 7am today, or to have said April 24th instead and posted it at 7am tommorrow even, its better than making people wait all feckin day!

griffdaddy wrote:
    What would you do differently to what you're doing now if you knew whether or not you were able to attend?

Not a whole lot, other than be able to let people know. The point is that I should reasonably be able to know by now what I will be doing in less than 3 weeks time. There's no excuse for incompetence, and that's exactly what it is. I don't get your defensiveness, does yore ma run tierney?

• Advertisement

dazman2250 wrote:
    even, its better than making people wait all feckin day!

Oh no! Not ONE WHOLE DAY! Exams are on the month of May. Thats it. Get ready for them and stop pissing and moaning like they just raped your pet kittens. Really whats the big problem here. No one is being ****ed over. The college caters for up to 20000 students. Give it a rest for ****s sake.

Elmo you know you have exams in three weeks. What more do you need to know three weeks in advance? The sooner you get the precise timetable wont make any difference to what you will find out in a few hours

• Registered Users Posts: 11,447 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Grimes wrote:
    Oh no! Not ONE WHOLE DAY! Exams are on the month of May. Thats it. Get ready for them and stop pissing and moaning like they just raped your pet kittens. Really whats the big problem here. No one is being ****ed over. The college caters for up to 20000 students. Give it a rest for ****s sake.

Why don't you give it a rest and stop attacking everyone in every thread....for **** sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

griffdaddy wrote:
    This situation is no better or no worse than any other university of this size going through a such a period of change would experience.
    UCC got there's about 2 months before their exams and have just the same amount of exams to sort out if not more. Wouldn't it make more sense to get them out around a month ago so that students with problems (such as clashes) can get it sorted when they're not worrying about study as much as they are now?

Well personally I have the exams month cleared of all commitments and i would assume most serious students would have done the same. But sure any excuse to claim to be screwed over by the college.

And for the record Im not attacking anyone, im attacking stupidity and self pitty.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Steibhin

griffdaddy wrote:
    This situation is no better or no worse than any other university of this size going through a such a period of change would experience.

How do you know that? I spent 4 years in NUI, Galway and have never experienced delays like this. I think its unacceptable, but it is interesting to see that they are students so willing to defend the College admin. They obviously have very low standards and expectations for this University. Yes the sun will still rise tomorrow if the timetable is delayed (again..) but I still still think I deserve better for the money I am paying.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

This place is seriously getting worse every year :-/

Im still at a loss to know what the big deal is over a small delay

It's not the fact that I don't have my timetable, it's the expectation that I would get it today. I have been checking regularly to see if it's up. If they had told me tomorrow, I'd have been just as happy. But they shouldn't tell us it's definitely a certain day if they can't deliver.
    This happened with my results too in January (finally got them after they scheduled, then rescheduled the release date four times).

This is ineptitude at its highest, and the Admin staff don't seem to care one bit. This kind of thing would never happen in a private university as people expect a service for their fees.

It's an absolute joke but I'm not suprised in the slighest. This is just one of many times I have seen what quality the admin department is made of, both on a wide scale and more me-specific level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Darkbloom

Grimes wrote:
    yeah the two above posters are right. No point in attacking UCd about this. The timetables will be out today at some stage. Whats the problem?

Some of us have to get back to people about jobs. Seeing as they were supposed to be up on March 31st that's an awful lot of borrowed time.

Advertisement