Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dell OEM giving issues - Activation not valid?

• 08-04-2007 9:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭

Hey, friends of mine bought a Dell laptop and gave me a Vista CD. I'm not sure if they are using Vista still as they didn't seem too fond of it and had asked me for my XP CD. I also have a Dell PC so it's not a BIOS issue.

Basically about 2 months ago, I turned on my PC to get the following box at logon, quoting

The Windows Vista Home Premium product key you typed in invalid for activation.

It then goes on to give me 3 options, to buy a new key, re-enter my old key (none of the keys on the DELL box or CD match the correct format) or to contact Dell, which doesn't work.

Any ideas on what I can do to fix it? I fixed it last time by doing a reinstall but I don't feel like doing reinstalls every 2 months!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

chrislad wrote:
    Hey, friends of mine bought a Dell laptop and gave me a Vista CD.
    It then goes on to give me 3 options, to buy a new key, re-enter my old key (none of the keys on the DELL box or CD match the correct format) or to contact Dell, which doesn't work.
    Unless he also gave you a license it ain't legit to install it.

If it was a DELL CD then it's an OEM so not legit on any other PC.

That is the beauty of the OEM license, you can't move it from the PC it was supplied with.

Since you don't have a valid license you are stuck with option two buy a new key

Please read the charter especially the bit about software you own.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement