Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do Hotels Own The Roads Or Something

Options
  • 08-04-2007 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭

I dunno maybe its just me, but where does the planning for all the new hotels that are popping up around the city get through the planning stages.

It seems to me that every new hotel that gets built get's priority status to the road infrastructure.

Here are a few prime example's of bad planning.

Firstly they closed the road leading around the new Absolute Hotel building near grove Island which was a handy road for traffic, then as if that wasn't bad enough they now close off the lane going towards St Marys Pk by placing an island in the middle of the road, as if the traffic at this junction isn't bad enough.

Why didn't they make the entrance to the hotel on the road they have closed off. :confused:

Secondly they place a set of traffic lights and close a road junction on the Ennis rd outside the maternity hospital. This has furthered to the traffic chaos coming into the city. Again why didnt they insist the enterance to the hotel be place on O Callaghan Strand??

And now they plan on closing the newly created road from the childers road to the new ring road..what college this these planners get there certificates from>???

Amused In Limerick
    Steve

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Bradidup

Its probably down to back handers with the local cc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Well the quality hotel definetly dosnt own the roads as its main connection to the dual carriageway is being cut off

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Bradidup wrote:
    Its probably down to back handers with the local cc.
    Now now!

It's more to do with the fact that it's politically more favourable to have some employment and revenue generating enterprise opening up in your constituancy.

"Maurice Hickey....de man dat brought the Marriot-Four Seasons-Dubai Towers to Ballydehob! Ga'wan for the vote!" etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

I'm starting to believe that this council has made so many mistakes they don't know how to go about fixing them...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

steveon wrote:
    I'm starting to believe that this council has made so many mistakes they don't know how to go about fixing them...

Me thinks so...at least my lot can't be blamed entirely as the good people didn't elect enough of us the last time:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

The Hilton is a disaster...have a friend living 7/8 houses up and the traffic is outside his gate most evening until 6:30-7...disastrous.

Absolute hasn't affected me yet...but it will when I'm back at college next week:mad: :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭golden

There have been at least two accidents on the new island at the absolute hotel. It does come up very quickly even if you are going the correct speed and don’t think that there are no advance warnings by the county council that the lanes have changed. Even though this does not mean that the hotel should get a dedicated filter lane and more people would be turning right at the traffic lights. This will more than likely add to the congested streets!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

That absolute hotel did take away a whole road! I wonder how big the envelope was...

I have seen two accidents myself and just so this is clear I will not be voting for any1 from Fianna Fail either.

I think this junction is the worse I have ever conceived and now I have just spotted a new roundabout not 100yards from another roundabout on the main Shannon Bypass which will serve the new shopping centre...yet more crashes expected.

Has the council ever taught of granting permission by applying rules such as build a bridge if u want planning ...

And they say its all drink driving that causes accidents

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

Remember the promise by the CC that the link road from Grove Island to Dublin Road would be finished BEFORE they closed Harrys Mall: what a bunch of LIARS.

Well thankfully that road is now almost near completion but its coming out on the Park road and I presume there gonna send it up thought Rebogue and down the old dublin road where Aldi are currently building a store and as far as I know more apartment blocks..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The best one yet has to be the new bus lane that runs on the Ennis Road. It starts at the Green Hills Hotel and runs up to the traffic lights at Ivans and that is it, it has owhere else to go. So now you only one lane for regular traffic which means the outside lane is backed up nearly to the Coonagh roadabout.

It does really make you wonder how does one qualify to get a job in the Traffic Management department of these councils? Obviously common sense and 20/20 vision are not a requirement.

Ur kidding aint seen that yet.....but dreading the taughts of traffic around the city once the kids are all back to school...

bazz26 wrote:
    The best one yet has to be the new bus lane that runs on the Ennis Road. It starts at the Green Hills Hotel and runs up to the traffic lights at Ivans and that is it, it has owhere else to go. So now you only one lane for regular traffic which means the outside lane is backed up nearly to the Coonagh roadabout.

It does really make you wonder how does one qualify to get a job in the Traffic Management department of these councils? Obviously common sense and 20/20 vision are not a requirement.

That would be an issue of the City and County Councils cooperating, does not very quickly. I'd be hazzarding a guess that will proceed up the link road knocking out the grass verge on the inbound side and re-centering the road.

Good idea imo...but will reserve final judgment until I see the finished product

ninty9er wrote:
    That would be an issue of the City and County Councils cooperating, does not very quickly. I'd be hazzarding a guess that will proceed up the link road knocking out the grass verge on the inbound side and re-centering the road.

Good idea imo...but will reserve final judgment until I see the finished product

I don't think so, unless they are planning on changing the bus route.

The new bus lane itself stops at the traffic lights outside Ivan's in the direction of town. From there up past the Davin and the Gaelic Grounds most of the way into town the road is simply too narrow for a bus lane. I can image most of the residence along that route would not be too impressed with not being able to park outside the front of their premises either.

This bus lane and the new traffic lights at the Hilton hotel, there seems to be some sort of plot by Limerick City and County council to cause as much distruption to the Ennis road as possible. Maybe they are trying to make other road users have no alternative but to use the new tunnel when it opens?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

bazz26 wrote:
    Maybe they are trying to make other road users have no alternative but to use the new tunnel when it opens?

Bu couldn't they wait until the tunnel is open? ;):confused:

The 302 uses the link road so I'd hope that's what they're doing...If they put a few more busses on it I might actually consider walking the 5 mins to the bus stop and avoid the 20 mins looking for a parking space when I get to college

Bu couldn't they wait until the tunnel is open? ;):confused:

Maybe they want to piss people off so much now that when the tunnel does open they will not mind paying the toll as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭kman

oh my God, living in Dublin at the moment, so just saw it at weekend, bus lane from Greenhills to Ivans, what a disaster, traffic solid from the lights to beyond Greenhills, and an empty "bus" lane to nowhere, and not one bus, and almost impossible to get out turning right from Caherdavin Park or Lawn. At least they added the left turn filter light at Ivans for the link road, but you are supposed/allowed to only get into this lane about 50 feet from the light !!! God !

kman wrote:
    At least they added the left turn filter light at Ivans for the link road, but you are supposed/allowed to only get into this lane about 50 feet from the light !!! God !
    Had a look at it the other day...the bus lane ends at the juction into Caherdavin near Mace

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Does indeed, after that it's a lane to turn onto brookville avenue. You don't get a lot of buses on that portion of the road, so it's a bit daft. Widen the condell road and fire a bus lane and a new service up that way and I'll be impressed.

• Advertisement

MarkR wrote:
    Does indeed, after that it's a lane to turn onto brookville avenue. You don't get a lot of buses on that portion of the road, so it's a bit daft. Widen the condell road and fire a bus lane and a new service up that way and I'll be impressed.

so would I but it's a conservation area

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭source

ninty9er wrote:
    so would I but it's a conservation area

No need to widen the road really,It's plenty wide as it is. All they need to do is change the colour of the lines painted on the road and voila, instant bus lane!!!!!

no real need for a hard shoulder along that stretch of road. at least not one as wide as the current one.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Goofy

I'd say they are planning to make the coonagh route more frequent when the new shopping centre opens up. Thats what the new bus lane is for.
    The original plan was to have another bus lane closer to town on the ennis road but i think there was objections. Not sure if that part is still going ahead.

Goofy wrote:
    I'd say they are planning to make the coonagh route more frequent when the new shopping centre opens up. Thats what the new bus lane is for.
    The original plan was to have another bus lane closer to town on the ennis road but i think there was objections. Not sure if that part is still going ahead.
    The road isn't really wide enough from Supermacs to JFK for a bus lane and the Union Cross to town has been rejected by residents...I'd go Spanish style on their ass and paint it anyway

Just coming in the Dublin Road today towards the Parkway roundabout. Noticed that they are installing a new set of traffic lights at the entrance to the Parkway Retail Park where Curry's and Homebase are. They replaced the traffic lights with a roundabout at the Parkway many years ago as there was too much traffic. Now we have them back again just down a few 100 yards again. What are these idiots trying to do? As if the traffic is not bumper to bumper on this road already.

As I said before the corporation simply hasnt a clue about traffic management. In the last two years there has been so many new traffic lights introduced I still forgot about half of them till the last second. Just look at the fiasco caused at the junction of Westbury and the new shopping complex, they actually allowed the developer of the complex to decide which option to install either a roundabout or a set of traffic lights, which the later been taken instead which in my opinion was the wrong one especially as there is another development has than 5o yards further up the road.

Does the corporation not realize by now that when they turn off the lights for matches held in thomand park no accidents happen in the town, there are now so many people trying to cut around blackspots created by there mismanagement that they are causing more and more dismay on our roads

Since I started this post I have already seen over 6 accidents at the newly created junction outside the absolute hotel, so how many have actually occured.

Bus lanes are a waste of time unless a bus is going to use it on a continuous basis not every 15 or 20mins and they serve no purpose unless there is a route the entire route, as pushing a bus down a lane for a few yards and then forcing it back onto the main lane is a waste of time when that lane could be used for traffic meaning less tailbacks meaning less time on the bus journey and I for one hate buses and dont see why my tax money should be spend on a rubbish service that I will never use and never intend on using..

Dismayed
    Steve
    :mad:

steveon wrote:
    As I said before the corporation simply hasnt a clue about traffic management. In the last two years there has been so many new traffic lights introduced I still forgot about half of them till the last second. Just look at the fiasco caused at the junction of Westbury and the new shopping complex, they actually allowed the developer of the complex to decide which option to install either a roundabout or a set of traffic lights, which the later been taken instead which in my opinion was the wrong one especially as there is another development has than 5o yards further up the road.

Does the corporation not realize by now that when they turn off the lights for matches held in thomand park no accidents happen in the town, there are now so many people trying to cut around blackspots created by there mismanagement that they are causing more and more dismay on our roads

Since I started this post I have already seen over 6 accidents at the newly created junction outside the absolute hotel, so how many have actually occured.

Bus lanes are a waste of time unless a bus is going to use it on a continuous basis not every 15 or 20mins and they serve no purpose unless there is a route the entire route, as pushing a bus down a lane for a few yards and then forcing it back onto the main lane is a waste of time when that lane could be used for traffic meaning less tailbacks meaning less time on the bus journey and I for one hate buses and dont see why my tax money should be spend on a rubbish service that I will never use and never intend on using..

Dismayed
    Steve
    :mad:

Agree with you totally especially regarding the Westbury junction but Clare County council are responsible for that one rather than Limerick City or County Council. But the point is still valid.

Advertisement