Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vanguard

Options
  • 08-04-2007 2:09pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has tried this yet. I finally get broadband installed, and i want to try some new mmo's (bored of Warcraft, but still playing Eve). I've been reading up a bit about it, and it seems like more of a hardcore (bad term maybe) mmo. Also its supposed to be bloody massive, which i like the sound of.

So, anyone any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

A friend in work has been trying to get me to join him in it. It has the good things from EQ2 with better pvp etc. It is sony though so if you didn't like them for SWG don't be surprised if that continues.

If someone was trying to decide between EQ2 and it, I think it would be an easy decision. Not sure if I'd send people migrating from other games to it though...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I'm playing it on and off. I'm really enjoying, but just don't have the time to put into it. Also, Age Of Conanis coming out soon, so you may want to hold off for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

AoC beta applications are been taken now.

I wasn't impressed with VG. It's a real diehard MMO fans game I guess.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Well, i decided to pick it up in Game today, and have installed it (at a whopping 17gigs!!). I'll let you all know what i think in the next few days.

Ok, so i played quite a bit of Vanguard this weekend, and i have to say that i like it. Its a bit slower then Warcraft, but it seems far more indepth. I spent about two hours mining and doing blacksmith work orders yesterday.

Combat: This is similar enough to Warcraft, with some added things like counter-attacks, and combo's. Magic classes and Ranged classes can move while casting/firing, which is nice. I picked an Ranger at first, but while it was fun, i prefer being in close, so i changed to a Warrior. There are still some issues/bugs with it though, especially in confined spaces with line of sight issues, although they will be fixed.

Crafting: This system is far better then Warcraft. Its actually like a mini-game (an annoying mini-game at times), with far more factors in it. I've only managed to get my mining to 100, and my woodcutting (ya, you actually cut down trees) to about 40, so i can't go into too much detail yet.

World: The game is simply staggering in size. I'm on the middle islands (cant remember the name), and it takes ages to get from one side to the other. Then theres two other continents, about 5 times the size of the islande chain. Its crazy. The only problem, is that for the size of the world, there are not enough playes in there yet, so it can be a bit quiet at times. And for a game that is more designed around group quests, this can cause problems.

Overall, i like the game and have high hopes for it. Got to level12 last night, and got my mount, so its going well. I'll update this with more data as i get it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

Webpage for your character is nice too.

Drakar wrote:
    Webpage for your character is nice too.

Ya, that is nice, but it doesnt really work very well. Apparently it hasnt been updated in a few weeks...and i'm not on there yet dagnammit!

Anyway, got into my first group last night, and it goes far far quicker. Its definatly a game based on grouping, with solo being much less productive. We were tearing through enemies that i would probably have not even been able to kill solo. Good fun. I'm hoping to get another group tonight, to kill the first 4 dot enemy i've come across.

Advertisement