Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mini, Midi, Vert Ramps

Options
  • 08-04-2007 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭

With all parks poping up around the country ive noticed there are no (did i miss some?) half pipe type ramps being put up.

I started out skating on mini/midi ramps and the ocasional venture on vert ramps and imo they can be so much fun to skate with a group of friends. I'd assume they are cheaper than a full park and provide a good stepping stone to get people started of skating/biking and (if popular) eventually a full park to be added, it makes for a more complete range of facilities and costs are spread.

Dont get me wrong, parks a briliant as well just in a different way.

Whats the general concise on half pipes mentioned above?

Jozi

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭wideangle

I never had a good session on a mini as there are none near me.Also no cork skateparks are including a mini in their design.I hope to ride the Tramore mini soon as I have a week off comming up.

It would be great to see more mini/midi ramps included in future skateparks in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 sdLOVE

half pipes are terrible for starting... and ive been skating for about 5 years and theres no way you could catch me attempting anything up near the coping!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

I learned skating ramps on a 5ft mini, street at the same time. Maybe its different for skateboards, i only ver got as far as learning to drop in after 3 days getting up to the copping (and my god does it hurt when it goes wrong on a board).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭fisheye

I'd love to see a 30ft wide, 5ft high in every small town around the country which doesn't necessarily have the cash for anything close to a decent park. Something like the old mini on Bondi Beach, in a central park or on the seafront. I'm really surprised that the main surf towns don't already have minis on the seafront for when the waves are slack.

Otherwise, I'm not that bothered that there's no standard mini or vert ramp in any of the parks here. Bowls like Bushy and Greystones more than make up for it. Once you can rip bowls like them, the rest will follow. Plus they're much easier on the body than vert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Kenjd

I know bushy is considered a bowl but within it theres a small mini?!?!
    Am I missing the point?!?! :confused:

• Advertisement

The Tramore skatepark has a mini ramp as does the Waterford regional sports complex skatepark.I know they are only rhino and some plastic thingamajig,but hey they are still mini ramps.

Kenjd wrote:
    I know bushy is considered a bowl but within it theres a small mini?!?!
    Am I missing the point?!?! :confused:

Is that the one half of which is oneside of the spine and the oppisote quarter in the shallow bowl??or did you spot one I did'nt spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Kenjd

yeah wideangle, the small section. Its not a free standing "mini" but surely it serves the same purpose??!! i.e. mellow transition to start on?!!:confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 sdLOVE

yeah i use that part as a mini sometimes to do harder tricks that i wouldnt try anywhere else.. its good fun but usually people are trying to skate through it and launch out the other end of the shallow part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 dillon06

theres one in ramp city in santry

• Advertisement

Thats good if you skate but they don't allow bmx any more...saps!!

Kenjd wrote:
    yeah wideangle, the small section. Its not a free standing "mini" but surely it serves the same purpose??!! i.e. mellow transition to start on?!!:confused::confused:

You'd get away with it if place is fairly empty,but when it is busy,you are riding the mini when people are waiting to drop in...need I say more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Conor Chong

jozi wrote:
    With all parks poping up around the country ive noticed there are no (did i miss some?) half pipe type ramps being put up.

imo they can be so much fun to skate with a group of friends.Jozi

I couldnt agree more with you on that one dude, you can have the best session of your life with a couple of my mates, a few spl*ffs, and about 6 beers each. Great craic.

I've only skated lucan, bushy + gorey in this country, and definately gorey's bowl has the best mini-like feel to it.

As fisheye said, i would absolutely love to see a 30ft wide, 5 ft high mini in every town in the country.

Any1 tell me where the best mini-ramp in ireland is? I gotta feelin in me bones, wanna go this wkend!!! Doesnt matter if its modular

Cheers

Chong

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Evolute

I couldnt agree more with you on that one dude, you can have the best session of your life with a couple of my mates, a few spl*ffs, and about 6 beers each. Great craic.

I've only skated lucan, bushy + gorey in this country, and definately gorey's bowl has the best mini-like feel to it.

As fisheye said, i would absolutely love to see a 30ft wide, 5 ft high mini in every town in the country.

Any1 tell me where the best mini-ramp in ireland is? I gotta feelin in me bones, wanna go this wkend!!! Doesnt matter if its modular

Cheers

Chong

Ive been told that the bowl in greystones is a pretty good one. I also think that myself but ive also never been on another mini so i dont know but you should definately check it out for yourself because its a good laugh regardless.

Evo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Conor Chong

Oohh dunno bout greystones, looks ****in huge! Huge = scary = sketchy = painful. Must check it out tho, does it be well busy at the wkends?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Evolute

Oohh dunno bout greystones, looks ****in huge! Huge = scary = sketchy = painful. Must check it out tho, does it be well busy at the wkends?

Generally yes and it freaking closes at half 6 on weekends(am i the only one that thinks thats retarded????) the best thing to do is go down early and you will be sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭luapenak

it does look huge at the start but a week or 2 of riding the bowl and everything else seems small especially bushy.

Advertisement