Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a webdesigner

Options
  • 08-04-2007 3:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hey all webdesigners out there...

I've got a pretty exciting...large... project in the pipelines at the moment but the one thing I can't do (and I can do alot) is design a website for it! I need a talented, passionate, kind-hearted, opportunistic webdesigner to get on board with this project and work their magic...on the web!

I am currently in the process of organising the largest concert to be staged by a third level institution in Ireland (maybe in the world-who knows!). Ambitious I know but it has to be done none the less.

The concert is in aid of two childrens charities Autism Ireland and Smile Organisation (which is an international organisation which provides life-changing operations for children with cleft pallets).

Ok I know you are thinking... "yeah great cause, best of luck with it, but why would I spend the best part of my week, (that could otherwise be spent doing productive things like watching tv) creating a website for this?"

See I knew that would happen so here is your answer.
    1. When this is huge success with national coverage and support your name will be attached to the website...need I go on?
    ok ok just to vent my emotions I will...I know you are hooked already though!
    2. The chance to work with individuals from colleges around the country, government bodies, the national media to create a masterpiece that has never been created in Ireland before...did I hear you say you'd be part of a piece of history? I think I did!
    3. The opportunity to give back to the community-show those kids you care!
    4. The chance to do something you love and get the full enjoyment out of it because you know you are doing it out of the goodness of your heart-isn't that what is missing from our lives these days!

Take a breath, I know you are as excited about this as I am, but you need to be able to pm me or reply to this thread expressing you interest, your deep rooted support, and telling me where I could see examples of your work. (or else where I could find people who would be interested in helping me out.

Thanks a mill. Trust me this is gona be good!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Laslo

It's for a very good cause so best of luck with it. I'd offer to help out, I simply don't have the time and a mortgage deposit to pay for. Sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

I am sure the organisations that your trying to represent have volunteer lists with people with the above skills, I know that charity organisations keep lists of such people, the organisation that I volunteer with does anyway. It is a very noble idea what your trying to do, but you need to make a stronger argument for its cause..Best of luck with your project.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Well, I'm not exactly the brightest spark on this forum, but if you do get a lead web designer/developer to do the job, I'll be his slave on the job just to offer a helping hand or whatever.

Also, you do realise that even though you might get a web developer/designer to do it for free, you will more than likely have to purchase the web space etc. and that could cost between €40 and a €100 per year... unless you can get a really nice hosting company that will give you free web space, but be wary!

~NevF

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Charity Concert

Thanks for all the advice.

Technology is definitely not my strong point so all advice-constructive...and not so constructive is appreciated.

I have a question though.
    What are domain names? Are these necessary to set up a website?
    Are they the same as having someone "host" your website?
    How can you ask companies to host you website?
    ...I know these are extreemly basic questions...but you have to start somewhere right?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

The domain name is the name of your site. Its what people type into the address bar to get to your site. Boards.ie is the domain name of this site.

The host is the person who, well, hosts the site online. They keep your website online (provided you pay the bills!).

You will have to apply for a domain name and odds are its taken already.

Theres a list of companies that will host your site on this board (in a sticky on the top of the forum, I think).

I'm not the best person to give you a list, so I won't (can't think of any).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

A domain name is the address of the site (like www.boards.ie).

Hosting the site means, in simple terms, the physical machine on which the websites files actually sit (like the html, php, image files).

For a website you need both of these things. You need to find someone to 'host' the site, and then register a domain name and point one at the other.

Many hosting/registering companies will offer packages to simplify this process.

Have a look at the links in this thread to get an idea of prices.

//edit
    heh, Seachmall beat me to it :), that's what I get for multi-tabbing ten pages at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

If you're a non-profit charity, or repesenting one, then you might be able to avail of free hosting from some Irish hosting companies such as Blacknight and Hosting365.

I wouldn't get hosting before you get a web developer though as the developer might use incaptible technologies to what the server offers.

That's brill thanks so much-making it so much clearer. And probably the last question for a while...well don't count on it...do webdesigners normally sort all that stuff up or would I need to get someone else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

Hi all,

Just to let people (especially nevf and any more like him) know, I've offered to help Charity Concert out! I think it's a really good cause and am willing to donate my time. But it would be nice to lead a team on this, the more the merrier I say! Everyone has a forte, and a combination of skills would be better than mine alone!

Thanks for reading, PM me if you're interested in helping out too,

Adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

I did too. Sent a private message. Indeed as a team might be better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

Quick update for those that want to participate, I've set up an online project management system with basecamphq.com, anyone that wants in on the project give me a shout and I'll provide login details.

Serious contributors only though please!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Thanks a mill. Trust me this is gona be good!
    I will gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today...

Two things. First; your best bet is to get a Web development company to sponsor your site, by way of a contra deal (i.e. they build it for free and you give them coverage). In return you give them lots of marketing - not just on the site, but on all your marketing material and at the event itself.

This brings me to the second point - you appear to have little or nothing actually done yet outside of some planning and a lot of talk. You have not said if you have any acts actually booked, or how much money you have raised to date, only that you don't actually have a venue. So far your description reads like you're still only at the concept stage.

Not wanting to appear cynical, but who would want to waste their time doing a site for something that may very well not come to pass - and experience has taught me that 19 out of 20 'ideas' don't. And you've not convinced me that you have anything more than an 'idea' so far.

So, I suggest you get a venue/date, some acts booked, etc. so you can actually show that you have a real proposition and not just pub talk. Then come back here, or better still contact Webdev firms directly via sites such as the iia.ie, with a real proposition.

Corinthian

All big things start with a small idea. This particular idea was thought up over a year ago, so we have been working on it over a year now. We are far more advanced than I let on as I do not wish to disclose on a public site on the internet the facts of the concert, and I am sure you can understand why.

The fact that we have got substantial backing from UCD proves that this concert is not just a mere idea.

The webdev idea is great and if all else fails I will persue it. But at the same time, for me the whole point of this concert is to build a sense of community. Any concert or event can go to huge companies and get support based on the right terms and conditions, and for certain aspects of the concert that is being done. However, there is so much talent out there, and so many people who are willing to do things for society from the goodness of their heart and I would like to get as many of those people on board first. The achievments of a few people then are so much greater and the spirt of the concert is alive, the way it was intended to be.

I am far more encouraged by the fact that people who have never met me or any of the committee who have been working on this for the last year are willing to risk their time because they believe in it. I do understand where you are coming from though that many ideas dont materialise. I can't say that I can guarantee that nothing will go wrong with the plans for this. But not even 'Live 8' could have said that back in 1985.

You are questioning the fact that you dont think I have any bands. Do you know how Bob Geldoff got bands to perform at Live 8? He didn't have a venue or bands coming up to his date. He had contacted them and they said no. So he went on live tv and said he had confirmed Madonna and a few of the others who said no. Then the acts couldn't turn around and say they couldn't do it because it would look bad for them. Ok, I am not saying that the bands for this concert are being recruited in the same way. I am just trying to point out that some of the biggest success stories are based on risk.

I would like to say thank you to everyone who has expressed interest in the concert, good and not so good. And although no plan can be guaranteed to work I can safely assure you that this "idea" isn't a breath of youthful enthusiasm.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

All big things start with a small idea. This particular idea was thought up over a year ago, so we have been working on it over a year now.

A years planning and no one knows a web designer or how the basic's of web design?
    The fact that we have got substantial backing from UCD proves that this concert is not just a mere idea.

Do they run IT Course's,Offer servers for use? or does "substantial backing" really mean substantial backing away????
    Do you know how Bob Geldoff got bands to perform at Live 8?

Nope and I couldn't give a toss...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

*mono* wrote:
    A years planning and no one knows a web designer or how the basic's of web design?
    Followed by one day on here and they've found themselves a team of four willing to take on the project for free.

If it turns out to be nothing but hot air then I guess we won't be working on it for very long. How totally devastating for us, eh?
    Nope and I couldn't give a toss...
    Good. Run off and play somewhere else then, so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

Well he/she has obviously found the people willing to work on the project - thread closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement