Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

which sat nav

• 08-04-2007 4:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70 ✭✭

i want to buy a sat nav for my girlfriend looking at navman f20 in xtravision going for 170 no much reviews or the route 66 in halfords for 269 just wanted to know anyone out there any feed back tnks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Wevin

I got a Route66 Chicago 6000 for my wife for Christmas. Easy to use, big screen, but battery charge light never went green after first charge, and at some roundabouts would tell us to go left, then left again, even if we were going to the third exit (going right). It did this trick once in Neilstown, not somewhere you want to get lost. Battery also only lasted 2 hours instead of the advertised 4. Sent it back for replacement (bought online from Route66.com), the replacement was exactly the same! Avoid!!!

Oh, and thanks to the speed of their customer service, it took over two months to return.

Have since got a Tomtom One V2 Europe (in Andorra for €280 on a ski holiday), and it does exactly what it says on the tin. Well happy now.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Wevin wrote:
    and at some roundabouts would tell us to go left, then left again, even if we were going to the third exit (going right). It did this trick once in Neilstown, not somewhere you want to get lost.
    I have noticed a problem with the way my unit descibes the route when coming up to roundabouts, the picture is always correct though. I think it can depend on the class of road on coming up to a roundabout and if that roundabout is also tagged as being part of the same road or not, if it is marked in the map details as being a different road then I keep getting instructed to turn right onto the roundabout and then imediately left again to turn off it whichever exit I happen to be taking.

But they don't really have roundabout in the US so the software cannot deal with complicated junctions like that I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭bogman

Mmmm my battery lasts 4 hrs or more, took my chicago 9000 in top pocket via train to the big smoke recently and it behaved perfectly, great for pedestrian use too, it charges perfectly if u let it take its course, im sure the manual says 8 hrs for full charge, what was most interesting was the rail line is mapped all the way, train reached 105mph on way back, only problem was 5€ charge for can of Heineken on the train !!!
    By the way since I have updated the firmware the earlier switching problem has vanished

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

agree with Wevin the TomTom Europe is a cracker easy to use and not too bulky just make sure whatever you get has Navteq maps and not Teleatlas I got caught there with my first Tomtom but got a map update later

Advertisement