Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

lviing in england, help me pick a car to save on VRT!

Options
  • 08-04-2007 4:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭

Im living in the Uk at the moment and just driving my Iirsh car (im only here a few weeks at the mo) and I plan on moving back just before Xmas. So i relaise its time for me to get my arse in gear and get myself an english car to take advantage of not having to pay VRT.

I have between 4-5k sterling to buy something with and I need something quite economical, comfortable and biggish (im 6'5 and have a bad knee). I want to make this an investment as such and would like to know which car I will potentially save the most money on through not paying VRT. Im thinking BMW 318 and Lexus IS200. An Audi wouldnt be bad either. I also like the 03 generation of 2 door civics S version ( i know its different to the others!)

After looking at the Vrt website it seems the Lexus's VRT is the biggest but I dont think i'll be able to pick up anything that great with only 5k.

What are your thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,281 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Just be sure you are not a student, and meet all the other requirements for TOR (Transfer of Residence). Have the paperwork to prove it too.

Details here http://www.revenue.ie/index.htm?/leaflets/vrt_3.htm

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

thought the residency requirement was increased to 12 months a while back??? could be wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Lamps

ninty9er wrote:
    thought the residency requirement was increased to 12 months a while back??? could be wrong

Just reading that on the site now it looks that way. Wan.kers
    Dam there goes my plan out the window.

If im not going to save a fortune on Vrt i might just get the civic or something

• Registered Users Posts: 22,281 ✭✭✭✭Esel

ninty9er wrote:
    Always was 12 months.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭xabi

esel wrote:
    Always was 12 months.

I remember it being 6, wasnt aware it changed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Yeah, think you need to be resident outside Ireland for 12 months but you only have to have the car 6 months if you have to pay local motor taxes on it.

Advertisement