Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to get old fashioned sweets in Dublin

Options
  • 08-04-2007 4:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭Lou.m

Hi iwas wondereing where there was a shop that still sold old fashioned sweets like a quater of apple drops or that kind of thing mught be in dublin.

I know there is ordering them over the net but then i have to wait for a few days well by then the craving has gone.

So where can i get you know real old fashioned sweets in Dublin.

Anyone know a good place?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,814 ✭✭✭Charlie

There is a place on Aungier Street, near DBS, same side, just up a bit further I think.

Anyways, its a bog standard newsagent but does tons of different old school sweets by the quarter. They have all the sweets in the window so you shouldn't miss it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

There is a place on Aungier Street, near DBS, same side, just up a bit further I think.

Yip - It's called Kavanaghs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭Lou.m

OOooh thank you!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

You can also get them online from:
    http://www.aquarterof.co.uk/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 girlyn

hey you can also get it from

<snip>

check out their sugar mice...their soo cute and yummy!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

girlyn, advertising is not free on this site.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

Marks and Spencer are selling the old time sweets for 99c a bag

They sell: apple drops, sherbert strawberrys, rhubarb and custard, lemon bonbons

and they are doing a 3 bags for the price of 2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

olaola wrote:
    You can also get them online from:
    http://www.aquarterof.co.uk/
    They have a great range, but the P&P to Ireland costs a packet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

If you have access to a Musgraves card then head there... that seems to be where all the shops get their "old skool" sweets, bullseyes etc. Pretty cheap for a big bucket of them, dunno how much exactly, but I know if you can restrain yourself you'll save a packet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 squelch

hey sorry to bump this but

i as looking for some of these kinda sweets to fill a christmas present with... and i checked kavanaghs and theres a sign up saying theyre closed til further notice. so i tried marks and spencers but couldnt find any...

anyone else know of anywhere that sells those kind of old fashioned sweets like apple drops and rhubarb and custards?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Marks & Spencers do have old school sweets, either in scoopable form or in small bags.
    Debenhams are selling large jars of mixed old school ones too.

if you want specifics, the M&S in dundrum definitely have them, and the Debenhams in the Square Tallaght have them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭ha-ya-said-what

Look for shops what have a good selection of bags of sweets on the stands. I know there is two companies making them one of them has all their sweets in yellow, white and clear bags, mixed toffees, rhubarb & custards (they are looovveellly if only I could remember the company name), pear drops, clove drops, those stripy candy things with the chocolate in em (cushions I call em ha) and usually marked in with a big red 99c on the bags

And athlone sweets is the other one that still has a good selection. There in blue bags I think

Zed candy also make all the Tilley's oldies! Also try

www.thesweetshop.eu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭strongbluebell

New sweet shop in Dundrum village, just beside post office and chipper. Lots of sweets in jars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 dazzyash

yeh noticed kavanagh was closed down but there is a new one in temple bar beside eamonn dorans,real old school stuff,overs 100 jars i couldnt even decide want i wanted,they had big time bars and rainbow drops aswell,i was like a kid again,was brilliant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 snoopy83

maybe a couple of years too late with my post.. but new sweet shop opened on o'connell street, huge jars in the window!!

havn't had the chance to go in yet but looking forward to some sour apple drops :P

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭bobbygirl

Where on OConnell St is this ? Would love if there was....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭bungler

A new sweet shop has opened in Cabinteely village across from the Garda station and beside the barbers and its one of the old fashioned sweet shops its amazing, but im worried that im spending 80% of my wages in it

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

^^
    http://dublin.ratemyarea.com/places/la-cr-me-bon-127796
    An old-style sweet shop selling retro sweets (by weight) that also serves some excellent, award winning coffee! We also do juices, ice cream, pastries & teas...

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭bc dub

a shop off the navan road beside the breffni inn had them not so long ago, pre packed into quarters. appledrops, black cough sweets and lots of other ones. they were on a stand and had the packagers name above it so I'm sure this isn't the only shop to stock them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

There's a stall in George's Arcade, Dublin called The Sweet Life and you can buy by the quarter. It has jar's of boiled sweets such as Cough Drops, etc and chewy bars such as Stingers etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭jtac

Was just going to recommend the one in Georges Street Arcade,and also Cleverbuys in finglas,they have all the old sweets and bars!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

"The Really Old Sweetshop" in Malahide and Balbriggan if that's not too far out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 thatone

There was a guy selling all the old sweets at the point market, he mentioned hes usually out around dun laoighaire? The strawberry bonbons were nothing short of amazing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

Try the pound shops. Apple drops, kola kubes and a lot of the old fashioned sweets are on sale there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Spotted an old fashioned sweetshop in the BullRing on Meath St (just off Thomas Street) over the weekend, she had loads and loads of jars of stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

is there anywhere to get the old hard milk teeth with the powder on them, they have new soft teeth in most shops but they just aint as nice, i got them in musgraves maybe 2 years ago but i have never seen them since

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

is there anywhere to get the old hard milk teeth with the powder on them, they have new soft teeth in most shops but they just aint as nice, i got them in musgraves maybe 2 years ago but i have never seen them since

afaik they've stopped making them, even the online sites you used to be able to get them from say they're no longer available. My mother loved them, used to get them in pick & mixes sometimes too, but now only those new horrible teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

Bloody typical! They were a taste sensation

there's some sweet shop in busaras now, looks like jars and jars of sweets, havent been in it though

• Advertisement

Aldi have started selling old style sweets. :)

Advertisement