Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cleaning the engine bay

Options
  • 08-04-2007 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭

opened the bonnet today and it was covered in dust and spiders webs, how do people go about cleaning the engine bay i dont want to go turning a power hose to it because the battery is in there too

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Hot water and a rag. Well use some degreaser too as its proberly a bit mucky if high milage/old.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭VeVeX

If you use good TFR (traffic film remover) applied to the engine bay when hot it will lift the oil and muck from the parts. You should then be able to spray with low pressure water i.e. garden hose to remove 99% of the dirt. The other 1% is elbow grease im afraid but it would be 10x quicker then using just a rag and hot water.

"Concept - Delta Force Plus" would be my recommendation. This can be got from various outlets and is distributed through PR Reilly's. Roughly 20eur for 5 litres. Even though the dilution rate with water for engine cleaning would be fairly strong at 1:20 a 5L should last a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I use a compressor with a long nozzle sprayer to apply degreaser, and then steam clean the engine afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Tony255 wrote:
    opened the bonnet today and it was covered in dust and spiders webs, how do people go about cleaning the engine bay i dont want to go turning a power hose to it because the battery is in there too

If you have access to an airline, I'd blow most of the loose dirt & sh1te such as leaves and comwebs out using the airline. Then I'd get scrub around a bit with a rag and loads of WD40, this works great on plastics under the bonnet. I wouldn't go in here with a power washer, but if you feel the need to, make sure you throw a bag over the ECU and other electrical components adn try to keep away from them with the power washer.

Advertisement