Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband Goes of when receiving Calls

Options
  • 08-04-2007 7:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭

I have got broadband recently and i am curently running on an eircom wireless router. But everytime an incoming call in coming in on the main phone, My broadband Turns off...Does anybody else have this problem or can anybody help me with it please.

Thanks in advanced.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

You must fit the filters you got with the broadband package to every active phone point in your home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

Like Aidan said you need a Microfilter on every phone device in the house. If you have already done this, then i would suggest you contact your ISP so they can book a fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Does the problem also occur when making calls? Might be interesting to find out, should you report this to customer care. See if you can get any microfilters off anyone you know, to see if this removes the problem.

Also, advanced in this case is spelt advance and "of" in the title is spelt "off".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Also, advanced in this case is spelt advance and "of" in the title is spelt "off".
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

Is the house phone cordless? We have a cordless 2.4Ghz phone that used to cut off the wireless broadband in the house when in use (has a filter attached) and wired broadband was fine once i changed the routers band then problem cleared up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

and spelled is spelled spelled. Spelt (Triticum spelta) was an important wheat species in parts of Europe from the Bronze Age to medieval times
    :p

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spelt

i love it when people correct other users' spelling and they make spelling mistakes themselves

Ah ****. That's what I get for making posts when in an irritable mood. Apologies.

It's been a while since I was in Spell Czechs. I could do with a visit:p

Also, the cordless phone thingy is true. I've heard of certain cordless phones causing problems for no apparent reason, even when filtered. Those filters only reduce the noise that phones generate. If a signal is strong enough, it can still affect the modem.

Ah ****. That's what I get for making posts when in an irritable mood. Apologies.

It's been a while since I was in Spell Czechs. I could do with a visit:p

Also, the cordless phone thingy is true. I've heard of certain cordless phones causing problems for no apparent reason, even when filtered. Those filters only reduce the noise that phones generate. If a signal is strong enough, it can still affect the modem.
    it affects it because the wireless networks work on the same frequency as the phones (2.4 GHz) and they interfere with each other. its nothing to do with the filters.

a pc that's wired in wouldn't be affected by a cordless phone

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

proper DECT cordless phones don't use 2.4Ghz.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

and spelled is spelled spelled. Spelt (Triticum spelta) was an important wheat species in parts of Europe from the Bronze Age to medieval times
    :p

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spelt

i love it when people correct other users' spelling and they make spelling mistakes themselves

Actually, spelt is also the simple past tense and past participle of spell. I believe "spelled" is used in American English in preference to spelt.

• Advertisement

Zoney wrote:
    Actually, spelt is also the simple past tense and past participle of spell. I believe "spelled" is used in American English in preference to spelt.
    i always used spelled. apparently both can be used.

watty wrote:
    proper DECT cordless phones don't use 2.4Ghz.
    2.4 GHz is included in the standard. mine is 2.4 GHz but it's from america where the usual frequency is aldready used.

I always thought that DECT phones were in a different frequency, as Watty suggested. The ComReg document I read on some spectrum management issue or other had DECT in at 1800 or 1900 MHz, 10 or 15 MHz worth of bandwith. I would expect that the 2.4 GHz version compared to the 1800 MHz version would be the equivalent of 1800 MHz GSM compared to 900 MHz GSM.

Anyway, the original poster hasn't replied since or give any further details. He or she will need to clarify if this problem happens when any phone is used in answering a call or if it's just the hallway phone. Also, I'd like to know if there is a digital cordless phone involved, and whether the wireless router is being accessed wirelessly, or with a cable to a PC.

One other thing, if there is no phone to be used at the phone socket where the router is, then there is no need whatsoever to use a filter at that socket. The filter will only add a bit of attenuation to the line too.

Zoney wrote:
    So that's why I haven't been corrected whenever I said "spelt" before... Looks like I have the last laugh:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

mine is http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-KX-TG2593B-Cordless-Telephone-Answering/dp/B00005Q8OX funny it just rang and cut the net. Gona fix the router again.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

2.4 GHz is included in the standard. mine is 2.4 GHz but it's from america where the usual frequency is aldready used.

US items are frequently illegal or inadvisable here. The ONLY authorised CE marked DECT phones have their own DECT band. Dispose of the item designed for non-EU market. Video senders is another example. Also PMR AKA Family Radio. The US ones illegal here and EU/CE mark models illegal there.

2.4 may be in the Generic DECT, but it is NOT the authorised frequency for CE approved DECT phones. A CE DECT phone would be illegal in the US.

watty wrote:
    US items are frequently illegal or inadvisable here. The ONLY authorised CE marked DECT phones have their own DECT band. Dispose of the item designed for non-EU market. Video senders is another example. Also PMR AKA Family Radio. The US ones illegal here and EU/CE mark models illegal there.

2.4 may be in the Generic DECT, but it is NOT the authorised frequency for CE approved DECT phones. A CE DECT phone would be illegal in the US.
    i've had it for years and the feds haven't knocked my door down yet so i might hang onto it for a while yet :)

Advertisement