Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History Research Topic

Options
  • 08-04-2007 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭

I was aiming at writing out this over the weekend but it occured to me that I forgot to bring home the sample answers from school. I was wondering if anyone could give me a quick jumpstart by just outlining what's needed in each of the seperate headings.

Thanks,
    Adam

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Enemy Of Fate

Hey I'm doing mine at the minute too, although I'm waiting till after the break to fill in the outline plan and evaluation of sources headings (teacher said she'd have more information on them after the break).But if you want to fill them out now, then I suggest you download RTE's ''Getting It Right'' History research project podcast.It saved me from throwing away 10 marks (apparantly you HAVE to refer to your sources, which I just didn't bother to do), and is actually a really useful podcast.By the way whats your research project on?Mines on ''The Manhattan Project and the resulting destruction of Hiroshima and Nagasaki''.Its pretty kick-ass if I say so myself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Andeh

Just doing mine atm to :)

Mines "Erich Hartmann on the eastern front"

Amazing man, amazing pilot. 352 confirmed kills, was selected for me262 training, survived 10 years in the gulags, and then returned, married his childhood sweetheart and helped found the modern luftwaffe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭boger

Hey I'm doing mine at the minute too, although I'm waiting till after the break to fill in the outline plan and evaluation of sources headings (teacher said she'd have more information on them after the break).But if you want to fill them out now, then I suggest you download RTE's ''Getting It Right'' History research project podcast.It saved me from throwing away 10 marks (apparantly you HAVE to refer to your sources, which I just didn't bother to do), and is actually a really useful podcast.By the way whats your research project on?Mines on ''The Manhattan Project and the resulting destruction of Hiroshima and Nagasaki''.Its pretty kick-ass if I say so myself![/QU

our history teacher told us that you cant do a project on something that comes up in the course. the man hatton project comes up under nuclear power section in the european section. just wondering why are you doing this title.

boger wrote:
    our history teacher told us that you cant do a project on something that comes up in the course. the man hatton project comes up under nuclear power section in the european section. just wondering why are you doing this title.

No you can do it on something that was covered in the course (for instance my friend is doing the project on the Cuban Missle Crisis, something that is directly covered in the course), but it can't have been covered in depth in the course (ie you couldn't do an account of Stalin's Show Trials or something like that).Hiroshima and Nagaskai only got a half-page mention in the book about WW2 (Dictatorship and Democracy) and I don't think i've even come across the term ''Manhattan Project'' in any of the history books we've done (Dictatorship and Democracy and Division and Realingment).What book was it mentioned in, and how in-depth was the description?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭boger

i see you do a book for each topic ( 4 books) we only use 2 books ones called modern ireland and thats were we get are two irish topics from and the others called modern europe and the wider world its author is dermot lucey. the manhattan project is mentioned in this book under the chapter on nuclear power. you are right though, they only go into little detail about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Mine is on the Chernobyl Disaster and its longterm effects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

Ive done nothing (6 day war/Arab Israeli war). Just couldnt be arsed :P :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Dont worry, I only done mine a few days ago and got it checked over for mistakes etc.
    I still have to write up the final draft.
    just do not make the mistake of not handing it in on the 28th april as thats the final date of submission.

boger wrote:
    i see you do a book for each topic ( 4 books) we only use 2 books ones called modern ireland and thats were we get are two irish topics from and the others called modern europe and the wider world its author is dermot lucey. the manhattan project is mentioned in this book under the chapter on nuclear power. you are right though, they only go into little detail about it.
    What the hell?Aren't you meant to do 4 books?2 on Irish history and 2 on world History?Although you only get to choose 1 of the Irish history books (because the document questions are based on a certain book, so it has to be done).So you only do 2 books for the entire course?But you have to do 3 essays and each one has to be on a different topic from a different book (not to mention the document questions).How does that work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭Spank

I'm starting my project tomorrow. oops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

What the hell?Aren't you meant to do 4 books?2 on Irish history and 2 on world History?Although you only get to choose 1 of the Irish history books (because the document questions are based on a certain book, so it has to be done).So you only do 2 books for the entire course?But you have to do 3 essays and each one has to be on a different topic from a different book (not to mention the document questions).How does that work?
    A simple answer to your question:

There is more than one book publisher out there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭yurmothrintites

Im doing mine on the 1798 rebellion in mayo, really interesting

A simple answer to your question:

There is more than one book publisher out there :)
    Really?But I thought the entire history course was based around the 8 book system?Oh well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Yeah, we have the 2 books, Modern Ireland and Modern Europe and the Wider World.

Mine's on Geisha of a district in Kyoto. I love it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The history course is based on the syllabus. If a teacher chose to teach it using no textbook at all that would be fine. It's about covering the course, not what books you use.

It's only for convenience that schools use the books published by certain companies in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

We have yet to fill in the booklet as some girls didn't bother starting their topic until a month ago. We are fill them in next week.
    I have successfully finished my topic these past two months, I worked on draft after draft over the year.
    Mine is...
    Battle for Britain: Laurence Olivier and British Propaganda - 1940-1945
    I'm quite pleased with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭analyse this

I still think the person doing the geisha project is a genius!! best idea ever!! i don't think he's on this thread but there was definately another history thred somewhere.

Hey has anyones teacher given them any good gudelines on how to fill out the Evaluation of sources/outline plan/review bits, cause my teacher is useless (she hasn't even mentioned anything bout the review section yet!Must ask her tomorrow)?Its ****ing ridiculous that they're worth 40% of the marks for the project.The essay should be worth 100% of the marks!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

Hey has anyones teacher given them any good gudelines on how to fill out the Evaluation of sources/outline plan/review bits, cause my teacher is useless (she hasn't even mentioned anything bout the review section yet!Must ask her tomorrow)?Its ****ing ridiculous that they're worth 40% of the marks for the project.The essay should be worth 100% of the marks!!
    Look for the RTE "Getting it Right" Podcast. They've got a wee five minute one for the project alone and it's the business. Really helps for all the nooks and crannies in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭alancork

im fecked altogether!! hardly nothing done..im doing it on Bloody Sunday in Derry..almost everyting i have is straight from a library book..will i be shot?!?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 chocoguy

what are the possiblilities that if you copy out pieces of your sourses..that the examiner will find out!i mean he/she isnt going to check the essay word for word!:( :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Selphie

chocoguy wrote:
    what are the possiblilities that if you copy out pieces of your sourses..that the examiner will find out!i mean he/she isnt going to check the essay word for word!:( :rolleyes:

I've four sources. One of them makes up practically my whole essay. I doubt the examiner will ever look at them....at least I hope not!
    Mine's on women in TCD.
    You have to refer to your sources in your essay? Really?? I had so much trouble getting my word count down!! I won't be able to fit it!
    Also, did anyone else run out of space on the outline plan page? My teacher says you have to list your sources on that page, but they won't fit.
    We've got Modern Ireland and Europe too.....

Selphie wrote:
    I've four sources. One of them makes up practically my whole essay. I doubt the examiner will ever look at them....at least I hope not!
    Mine's on women in TCD.
    You have to refer to your sources in your essay? Really?? I had so much trouble getting my word count down!! I won't be able to fit it!
    Also, did anyone else run out of space on the outline plan page? My teacher says you have to list your sources on that page, but they won't fit.
    We've got Modern Ireland and Europe too.....
    4? Are you not only allowed 3?

4? Are you not only allowed 3?
    No.For higher level you need a MINIMUM of 3 sources (1 of which must be non-internet) but I don't think theres a limit.I had 6 originally, but I cut it down to 4 after I realised I had to fitt their strengths and weaknesses onto one little page.Oh and as for referring to your sources in the essay I just said ''accoring to my second source'' or ''some historians, such as Robert G. Grants'' 2 or 3 times in the essay.Easy 10 points!

Oh and the Getting It Right podcast is great for giving you info on everything else, but they don't go into any detail on the review part....In fact nowhere seems to go into detail bout it.Stupid review.

Oh and the Getting It Right podcast is great for giving you info on everything else, but they don't go into any detail on the review part....In fact nowhere seems to go into detail bout it.Stupid review.
    All you really need to do is and account of 1/2 to 3/4 of a page long saying where your interest/inspiration for the topic came from, where you got your sources, the way you approached the topic mentioning the skills of a historian along the way (ie. note taking, editing etc), and that you hoped you achieved whatever aims.

Throw it in at the end of the extended essay somewhere and you'll be grand.

All you really need to do is and account of 1/2 to 3/4 of a page long saying where your interest/inspiration for the topic came from, where you got your sources, the way you approached the topic mentioning the skills of a historian along the way (ie. note taking, editing etc), and that you hoped you achieved whatever aims.
    Throw it in at the end of the extended essay somewhere and you'll be grand.
    Yeah but it doesn't say if it counts as part of the word count, which i'm already well over (bout 1582 words without the review).And my teacher sucks so shes no help.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

The REview is included in the word-count. I've mine included with the Essay, and its come to 1538 words. Should be ok with going just that very small bit over the limit. My first draft, which didnt include the review, had about 1250 words, and then final draft without it was 1400 or so. Thankfully its nearly done now. I've to write it all up by Friday, then again for next week:eek:

Mushy wrote:
    The REview is included in the word-count. I've mine included with the Essay, and its come to 1538 words. Should be ok with going just that very small bit over the limit. My first draft, which didnt include the review, had about 1250 words, and then final draft without it was 1400 or so. Thankfully its nearly done now. I've to write it all up by Friday, then again for next week:eek:
    ****!!!What kind of review am I going to manage to write in 70 words??!?!?It'll suck!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Yeah, mine is quite long aswell. Theres quite a bit that has to go into it. How you chose your title, Problems, Skills gained, What would you do differently if you were starting now...they are the headings I worked under. I'll have to ask the teacher bout it tomorrow, but i'm sure a small bit over the total wont spell disaster. My teacher told us about 250 words...actually, ****. Mine has 274, if only I could keep it within that 250 limit, I'd be pretty much ok, about 10 words over. Heard they werent the strictest last year on it, but that was all cos of it being the first year

Advertisement