Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cleaning the wheels

Options
  • 08-04-2007 8:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭

Clenaed the car last week but it was ruined by the wheels staying quite dirty. I ran the power hose at them and put car wash on them but it was no good they stills tayed dirty.

My mate had a product that he used to use to clean the wheels and they would come up shining, anyone know what that was?

I washed the car and compounded it, so from here on in do i Just wash and wax it to get it shining?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,387 ✭✭✭BrianD3

There are many spray on products out there for cleaning alloy wheels. The way I clean wheels is to spray the stuff on, scrub with a small brush then powerhose off. Wheels come up great.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 bigkev49-2

As BrianD3 said there are a lot of good products out there but dont let them dry onto you wheels or they will get stained. I used Simoniz Alloy Wheel Cleaner, took the brake dust and grime off a treat with a bit of scrubbing. This or similiar products should be widely available.

There was a warning in the small print that it wasnt suitable for certain Porsche alloys just in case you were going at the Carrera GT!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭DeBeere

I use this:
    FG5591.gif
    Turtle Wax Extreme Nano-Tech Wheel Cleaner
    with a spoke brush(to scrub the tight spots)

Makes them sparkle and cleans all grime and brake dust, but 'irritates the eyes and skin'

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,498 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

DeBeere wrote:
    Makes them sparkle and cleans all grime and brake dust, but 'irritates the eyes and skin'

its ok, my car is made from metal :D:D

antodeco wrote:
    its ok, my car is made from metal :D:D

What I meant was it stings cuts like acid, so you know its good!;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

DeBeere wrote:
    What I meant was it stings cuts like acid, so you know its good!;)
    ...if used in moderation. Don't forget that the acids can eat away at the finish on the alloys.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

you talking about tyres or alloys OP

my brother uses driveway cleaner from halfords to clean alloys, its the best he's used. Others will remove the dust and dirt but he says this stuff is great as it acts as a barrier and it is easier to clean them the next time

as for the tyres to get them looking like new there is some product my brother uses and just dab it on a sponge and rub around the tyre. I'll get the brand this evening and post back

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

I think the OP is talking about the tyres.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Aah - I use Meguiars Endurance High Gloss Tyre shine

• Registered Users Posts: 45,767 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Clenaed the car last week but it was ruined by the wheels staying quite dirty. I ran the power hose at them and put car wash on them but it was no good they stills tayed dirty.

My mate had a product that he used to use to clean the wheels and they would come up shining, anyone know what that was?

I washed the car and compounded it, so from here on in do i Just wash and wax it to get it shining?
    i'm begining to think you are my alter-ego, fight club style.... same car as you, cleaned it this weekend, ruined by the wheels still being dirty.

• Advertisement

I use this for my tyres:
    Prod_Tyre_Foam_500g.jpg
    Armor All, Tyre Foam

All you do is simply spray the foam on and walk away!
    Good as new.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭Wossack

think its called 'tire dressing', the stuff that restores the black to the tire walls.

Advertisement