Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying a new car for my Daughter HELP!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

eamon234 wrote:
    Judging by your two choices she can't make a worse decision than you have :)

The Panda is probably one of the best, if not the best, small city cars available. How is that a bad decision?

I'd lean too the panda. Are you buying brand new? There's a fair few nearly new ones on carzone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Going by the NCAP ratings, I would pay an extra €4-5k for a safer car such as a Opel Corsa or Peugeot 207.

http://www.euroncap.com/content/safety_ratings/ratings.php?id1=1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Bee

Thnx for the all of the *** helpful **** replies I got an excelent trade in deal of 2,900 against a Panda with of course car mats, full tank of petrol etc form a main dealership,

various dealerships quoted 2000 to 2.5k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Sean/Telnor

edited & banned from motors!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

2 posts, raving about a car, suddenly selling car, dragging up old thread...

me smells a rat...

Either way, put a free ad on adverts.ie

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Magentis - the car of peoples dreams? :D Nightmares more like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭sandyg

I had a panda (04) and i must say it was a great car. Even clarkson in top gear couldnt get over it when he test drived it. It won car of the year in 2004. I upgraded mine to a Punto Grande. The best dealer i went to (tried a lot of them) was in Blanchardstown (Tractamotors - ask for Gary). The garage is open from 8.15 to 6.00 (to leave in for service etc). Found Ambrose/Brendan Brady Motors a bit more expensive when it came to the trade in and extras when i was doing the deal. Your daughter would have great fun driving the car as it really is a fun car to drive. My husband had to borrow mine one day and he couldt get over how nippy it was, comfy and really good on petrol. Also you get a great warranty with fiat. Fiat have come along was since the old panda in the 80's. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

BrianD3 wrote:
    a new small car may well be significantly safer than an older large car depending on how old a design the large car is.

This should be a sticky.........in fact, it should be turned into a pop-up, such is the fallacy of the 'big old = safer' statement out here on the InterWeb

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

With regard to the Matiz, I recently traded in a 2000 one too. Mine was orange, with 40k on the clock, the value my trade buyers were willing to give was 750 Euro. So I'd imagine your local garages when they phone their trade buyers will give about the same. It's down then to whatever allowance is built into the new car for you to determine what they're allowing.

Ask how much the car is without a trade in, then introduce the Matiz. You'll find both garages are probably costing the car the same, but using the margins in the car to come up with different allowances.

Advertisement