Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hdip will i get a job after it

Options
  • 08-04-2007 11:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 48

Hi I have just got accepted on the hdip to UCD to taech science/maths.
    Just wondering if anyone can tell me what my chances of getting a job when I am finished are?
    And
    Are they really strict in UCD for Hdip do you get mid-term, christmas, easter off they said you are in Monday to Friday 2pm-6pm do you ACTUALLY have to be in every day.
    Would really appreciate any thoughts

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The job issue has been covered here in many threads.
    You are very unlikely to walk into a full-time permanent job - be prepared for at least a couple of years part-time and contract.

Get as much experience as you can with weaker kids who hate your subject and do not want to be in school - if you can teach them you can teach anyone.

I have no idea how 'strict' they are in UCD, but in all honesty it doesn't look good if even before you start the course you are working out how much you can blag off.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭kittex

I agree with Spurious about getting experience with weaker pupils. The challenges are high, but so are the rewards and the experience stands teachers in great stead.

If you're in teaching for the holidays, do not do it. There are far too many half-hearted people going into the profession. They think, "Long holidays, 9 to half 3, easy money". When they find out it is alot of work - especially in the first 2 years - they get stressed and unhappy.
    It is the pupils who then suffer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 worksucks

The reason I asked about them being strict etc. is because I am wondering if I'll be able to keep up a job while in college to financially support myself and in terms of getting time off over mid term etc to look after my child but thanks for the lecture!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You'll need a thicker skin than that in teaching.

If you want to take some advice, get a job subbing in a school - make your work be of use to your future career. The pay rates are good so it will not require you to work as many hours.

Ideally, get a foot in the door of a school before the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

Honestly don't think anyone who starts the Dip wondering how much time they can get off is suitable. I know I'll get knocked for saying that but my Dip year was unbelieveably busy. Also, jobs are near impossible to get at the moment, hence the reason I rely a lot on private tuition. And your subjecst are only so-so so I'd say you'll find it even harder than I did. I honestly thought I'd never get a job and even now it's not where I want it to be and I don't have any security in it.
    I'd get a bit of subbing or even work experience before getting into teaching, I love it but honestly sometimes think I'm an eejit the amount of time I put in and know most don't stick it long. Of my class very few are still teaching. Sorry for all the negativity but am simply trying to be realistic about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,491 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I go with gaeligegrinds on the views, jobs are not out there and thats the honest truth. The phrase "a good person will never be idle" does not hold in teaching and you can be fecked around by principals too. But if u want to be a teacher, u have to stick it out. Its lot better condtions if u do get in than the old part time days

Advertisement